Why does Prior not play limited overs cricket?

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I know his figures may be modest, but I cannot understand why Matt prior isn't thrown the gloves in one day or T20 cricket for England. It is obvious that he is far better than Craig 'Swing and Miss' Kieswetter.

With the appointment of Ashley Giles, I was hoping that Prior may be given another go, as Giles would have been around the county circuit when Prior was smashing it around all parks for the sharks last season.

With the next world cup being in Australia, surely the pace and bounce will suit his shot selection and style of play? After the World cup we can start to think about Bairstow or Buttler as his replacement in all forms.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
It baffles me too - but then again, sometimes guys who have all the tools to succeed in ODI cricket can fail. Michael Slater was the classic example in Australia. The other thing of course was finding the right batting spot for him. He opened for Sussex, and England obviously want an opening keeper, but it just never worked.

spooony

Club Captain
Its what Australians call time or player management. They use a squad of players then rotate them shytless while other teams prefer to use different players with different formats even if some players are better quality than one selected for another format.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Fossil fuels are very good for a multitude of things, but if you try and use them for everything, they burn out and you have none left. Instead you end up driving a Prius.

I'm sure that's an analogy for something.

spooony

Club Captain
Fossil fuels are very good for a multitude of things, but if you try and use them for everything, they burn out and you have none left. Instead you end up driving a Prius. I'm sure that's an analogy for something.
how about using it yourself before the Indians use it for some short form racing burning it out quicker.....

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Some might suggest that India has a definite problem with using much of their precious gases in misguided endeavours. Though at the moment a Prius would seem like a handmedown from God himself, obviously in this instance played by The Don of Bradmanshire.

I would suggest there's a rather large traffic jam on the roads of Indian cricket, full as it is with a mixture of 1980's Skodas and powerful American muscle cars that struggle to take anything resembling a sharp bend. Somewhere in there is almost certainly a beautifully tuned Red Bull X2011 desperate for the roads to clear. Unfortunately, in such a high performance car there is only space for one seat and as such it'll be carrying no passengers.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I know the reason, it's because he's not very good. No matter how many millions of chances he gets for England, he's failed, because he's not good enough. Just check out his BBL scores for confirmation.

Massive lack of knowledge going around though with so many people saying he should be in the team. Even people around the game seem to have short memories about his abilities.

War

Chairman of Selectors
To be fair to the selectors he's been given several chances and blown them all.

Ye this unfortunately. And its weird because he has all the skills to be a decent odi player you would think. His ODI struggles reminds me a bit of how michael slater struggled in the shorter format, while being an excellent attacking test opener.

bigred

Club Captain
I know the reason, it's because he's not very good. No matter how many millions of chances he gets for England, he's failed, because he's not good enough. Just check out his BBL scores for confirmation.

Massive lack of knowledge going around though with so many people saying he should be in the team. Even people around the game seem to have short memories about his abilities.

You might also want to check out his 2012 stats pre BBL. I appreciate he hasn't got great figures as and England opener, but surely given the facts he has been one of the most consistent test batsman in the world over the past 24 months shows us the improvements he must of made. The fact of the matter is, would he would score more runs than the current number six, and would certainly be a safer pair of hands. What more could you want? Teams like Australia and South Africa(who will probably be the favourites at the next world cup) would be very nervous about seeing him come in at 4 down with 15 overs left.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Look, don't get me wrong. In Test matches he's one of the better Keeper/batsmen around. He's got the England job nailed down for the next few years at least, no problem. But how would teams like to see him coming in with 15 overs to go at 6 down? I imagine they wouldn't mind it, because his average is poor when he's faced that situation before. I've said it before, that the only way he works in One Day cricket is batting in the top order as a batsman, which is what he does for Sussex. However, for England, we have Trott, KP, Morgan etc who are much better than he is, so he isn't getting in there.

He's had multiple chances, even being brought back for the last world cup, which was a massive failure. His time has come and gone, he should be nowhere near the limited overs squads, because he's not good enough.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well i'd say opening doesn't suite him in ODI's, his technique for it internationally always looked wrong even though he had success for sussex domestically.

Of course he struggled in the world cup in his prefered # 6 spot when the selectors made the rough decision to axe steven davies after the tour to australia. But i'd be willing to give him one more chance @ the # 6 spot in odi's sometime before the next world cup.

spooony

Club Captain
It is because South Africa have AB de Villiers and he is better than Prior ever will be oh wait...

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
But i'd be willing to give him one more chance @ the # 6 spot in odi's sometime before the next world cup.

Should we recall Michael Yardy as well? What about Liam Plunkett? Give Saj Mahmood another go? He doesn't deserve another chance.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Should we recall Michael Yardy as well? What about Liam Plunkett? Give Saj Mahmood another go? He doesn't deserve another chance.

No since they were totally crap/ordinary players, whose abilities never seemed up for international standard.

I and others in this thread are saying that Prior a least looks to have all the skills to be a top odi players & his struggles (especially his preferred # 6 position) comes across as an strange enigma - rather than a clear sign that he is useless in limited overs.

I recall on cricinfo even, david hoops was suggesting that Prior was very close to get a call-up for the india series even.

Fact is this - if Kieswetter doesn't own the # 6 spot in upcoming odi series, Prior has a great chance of getting another opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread