Wisden's 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

I find it funny that the only thing Watson can actually match Flintoff at is his amazing ability to get injured a lot.

Didn't see him in the WC obviously.

No doubt about that (although Flintoff in 'his era' was pretty bloody good). Watson doesn't strike me as someone who will go to the next step though, he'll always be a good batsman, but his bowling leaves a lot to be desired let alone his bodies being about as stable as Northern Rocks finances.

Yes exactly right. However I don't think people understand quite how much potential Watson has. He is consistently injured straight after showing hope. His bowling however is pretty useless, hes just a RFM with nothing special about it.

Batting:
Watson >>>> Flintoff

Bowling:
Flintoff >>>> Watson

Last edited:
why do people keep going on about flintffs "era"?
he performed for about 3-4 series consistently and played good cricket in the ashes,

but thats all he was,
a 3-4 series wonder.
he hasnt done much else in his career apart from getting injured and shoddy performances.

Some of those players out of 10 will surely define whats not so special about cricket.:p

he performed for about 3-4 series consistently and played good cricket in the ashes,

but thats all he was,
a 3-4 series wonder.
he hasnt done much else in his career apart from getting injured and shoddy performances.
Flintoff is finished.He is still living in 2005 along with his fans.:p

Last edited:
Freddy's Era (The Stone Age?)

but thats all he was,
a 3-4 series wonder.
I'm not sure Shahid Afridi's fans are experts on consistency.

Flintoff bowled well in every England Test series he played from the start of 03-04 to the start of 06-07, England's best bowler, taking 136 wickets at 26.26. To be able to add any batting at all is fantastic, much less at an average well over 30.

In terms of all-round Test consistency, 24 months between October 1 2003 and October 1 2005 mark his peak Test form. He scored more than 1500 runs at 41.45 and took 100 wickets at 24.73.

In ODIs, his bowling has virtually always been effective, hence the stately career average of 25. His batting has also tended to show greater consistency of scores in the format.

In the 36 month period from July 1 2002 to July 1 2005, he scored 1484 runs at a burly average of 44.97, England's second most prolific behind Trescothick. This period also saw him as England's best ODI bowler, with 61 wickets at 21.43 and economy of less than four an over.

One could easily argue that he was the most valuable player in the world for at least two full years. His Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2004, ICC One-Day Player of the Year 2004 and ICC Player of the Year in 2005 attest to this.

And of course, we have Karthik...:D

He needs to figure out ODI's for India first, he's fantastic for India Red, Tamil Nadu but needs to get better and needs to know what his role is before getting.

I personally agree he should not be 3, Yuvi should, Dhoni at 4, Karthik at 5, Uthappa at 6 (depending of situation) and Irfan at 7.

That is, of course, if Karthik plays.

sure,
but we dont hype him to be the biggest legend in history now do we,

we admit he most of the time fails but his batting is a bonus ontop of his bowling which is why he is in the side.
Some of the Pakistani fans do.

sure,
but we dont hype him to be the biggest legend in history now do we,

we admit he most of the time fails but his batting is a bonus ontop of his bowling which is why he is in the side.
sure, whatever you say.

too many Australian players there IMO.

Batting:
Watson >>>> Flintoff

Bowling:
Flintoff >>>> Watson

Fredd IMO is better then watson in both batting and bowling. but it's the way i think..

Last edited:

but thats all he was,
a 3-4 series wonder.

3381 runs
197 wickets.

So that's over 800 runs and 49 wickets a series! Wow! He must have got Man of the Series in at least one of those 4! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread