With cricketers quitting international cricket for IPL, should IPL be finally granted a window?

Should IPL be granted a window?

• Yes. All the players want it

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • No. Its just another "domestic" tournament

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
England's Freddie Flintoff rejected the England contract to become a Freelance cricketer. There was a huge uproar in England and the players refused to sign their contracts after they weren't allowed to be a part of IPL 1. :(

Australia's Mike Hussey seems to be on the verge of announcing his retirement (http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/cricket-discussion/mike-hussey-announcement-59054.html). Many Australians including Shane Warne, Matty Hayden, Adam Gilchrist & Andrew Symonds have asked the ICC to grant IPL a window. :happy

South Africa's Graeme Smith comes out and openly asks the ICC to get its act together, for the financial benefits cannot be ignored by the players for long (End 'meaningless' tours - Graeme Smith | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy 2009 | Cricinfo.com). :eek:

New Zealand's Daniel Vettori has said "Don?t force players to choose between country and IPL" (http://www.expressindia.com/latest-...choose-between-country-and-IPL-Vettori/494503). :facepalm

Sri Lankan players refused to tour England to play in the IPL (SL players fume over England tour during IPL: Cricket Next). :mad:

West Indians are a mess because they aren't being allowed to play for the complete duration of the IPL. :noway

Pakistan's players contemplated flying to South Africa to make sure they were allowed to play in the IPL Season 2 (Suspended Pakistan players set to meet with Modi | Cricket News | Kitply Cup 2008 | Cricinfo.com). :spy

Bangladesh's players are extremely excited about their IPL contracts which earn them 5-10 times more than what they would earn playing for Bangladesh for longer than a year (Proud Mortaza credits hard work | Cricket News | Zimbabwe in Bangladesh | Cricinfo.com). :D

Today Freddie's manager openly questioned ECB's intelligence in offering him an incremental deal worth ?25,000 per year, when his IPL contract alone is worth US$1.55million ('Bungee-jump' scuppered England deal | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com). :p

CSA & CA are stakeholders with the BCCI in organizing the Champions League T20 (Revised dates for Champions League T20 out: Cricket Next) :)

If all international players playing for all major cricket playing nations want to embrace the IPL, is the resistance of "some" board even justified? :hpraise

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yea I think they should create a window. Give them a month to fit all the games in, should give them enough time to get through it tbh. The trouble will start when the IPL want's to increase team numbers and games.

P

pcfan123

Its 2 bloody months long, sorry but

There is something wrong (right word?) about creating a window in International cricket for a domestic tournament

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
^^^ Well buddy, I have quoted 8 International countries, the players of which look forward to those 2 bloody months to make more money they can in 2 bloody months than they would all year playing for their country. You can't blame them.

Some boards are intelligent enough to get the point, but there are some boards, who try to show one-upmanship (right word?) by scheduling a series which clashes with the IPL, despite knowing that its own players, forget the Sri Lankans and the Windies, having no interest whatsoever in playing it :sarcasm !

Life would be so much easier if you stop acting like a spoilt kid, whose past his prime, and be responsible enough to do the right thing.

Embrace the IPL or keep crying about players rejecting National contracts to play in the IPL. We are here to stay :hpraise !

P

pcfan123

Life would be so much easier if you stop acting like a spoilt kid, whose past his prime, and be responsible enough to do the right thing.

Well I would, but I lost my position as ICC President last year :sarcasm :facepalm

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Haha. Heard about references? Interesting to see a Brit not understanding the fact that the "you" was a general reference, not disguised flattery or whatever you assumed it was ! And you talk about grammar :laugh !

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
The IPL needs a window.
But I wouldnt go as far as to say that the players are quitting du to the same.
The exception has been Flintoff.

Also,if the players are quitting, the IPL council needs to put in a clasue- unless your home board approves,you cannot play.

Brook

Club Captain
Yes is the simple answer, do you see top football domestic fixtures clashed with internationals? No of course not. Cricket needs to cut down the international fixtures, top players should be playing for their counties more often etc.

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^^^ Well buddy, I have quoted 8 International countries, the players of which look forward to those 2 bloody months to make more money they can in 2 bloody months than they would all year playing for their country. You can't blame them.

Some boards are intelligent enough to get the point, but there are some boards, who try to show one-upmanship (right word?) by scheduling a series which clashes with the IPL, despite knowing that its own players, forget the Sri Lankans and the Windies, having no interest whatsoever in playing it :sarcasm !

Embrace the IPL or keep crying about players rejecting National contracts to play in the IPL. We are here to stay :hpraise !

NEVER! :p........

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
Well then, keep crying about players rejecting National contracts to play in the IPL :p .

P

pcfan123

Symonds was kicked out of CA,

Flintoff is old and beaten up now,

Talk to me when someone in their prime decides to quit international cricket for IPL

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
^^^ Hmarka... Seeing what Daniel Vettori & his boys have to say about the subject, Sri Lankans refusing to tour England and a particular Kevin Pietersen disgruntled at not making the complete sum of US$1.55million, thanks to the ECB's haphazard tour plans, I think you are smart enough to see where this is headed :sarcasm !

Also, the Windies are practically on a long vacation for wanting to play the IPL. Why don't you temme a few names of players NOT wanting to play in the IPL and make big money? (Hint: They are so less, you can count them on your fingers) :clap !

Also, it is interesting to see how the "Freddie", who was your country's hero until he turned down the contract, has become "old and beaten up now". I'm not just guessing but I'm sure that you will disassociate yourself from your own comments when he comes back ;)

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Talk to me when someone in their prime decides to quit international cricket for IPL

As it is we're losing some big names like Freddie. Why should we wait until some up and coming talented cricketer chooses IPL over international cricket? I'm no fan of the IPL, in fact I've watched one game throughout its existence. But even I can see what the cricketer's want and making them choose between their duty to their country and IPL is simply not fair. Especially when it wouldn't take much to swap the schedule around a bit to accommodate it. The ICC can easily get rid of some ridiculously pointless 7 match ODI series if they're worried about burnout.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
As it is we're losing some big names like Freddie. Why should we wait until some up and coming talented cricketer chooses IPL over international cricket? I'm no fan of the IPL, in fact I've watched one game throughout its existence. But even I can see what the cricketer's want and making them choose between their duty to their country and IPL is simply not fair. Especially when it wouldn't take much to swap the schedule around a bit to accommodate it. The ICC can easily get rid of some ridiculously pointless 7 match ODI series if they're worried about burnout.

Exactly my point, brother. People arguing their case against the IPL just haven't got one in the first place. Just because THEY think IPL is bad because India is making money and they're not doesn't make THEIR players idiots for choosing a League where playing for JUST 2 friggin months will earn them more money than they would by playing for their country for an ENTIRE year.

Today, it was Freddie's manager openly questioning ECB's intelligence in offering him an incremental deal worth ?25,000 per year, when his IPL contract alone is worth US$1.55million ! Tomo, it will be KP's manager saying the same thing and people will be like "Ok, this South African is anyways a waste. We have a 38year old waiting somewhere in England to replace him" ! Rubbish :sarcasm !

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well then, keep crying about players rejecting National contracts to play in the IPL :p .

That only ties into why I hate the IPL. I honestly don't care who plays in the IPL, but if it interrupts International duty, then thats where I draw the line in the sand.

Users who are viewing this thread