World Cup Final moving away from Mumbai?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Comes from a well known paper in India, Deccan Chronicle, so not easy to brush it off as rumor.

If you thought the fuss surrounding the Wankhede stadium, the venue for the April 2 World Cup final, has died a natural death, think again.

News on the cricketing grapevine is that the final could yet be shifted to either the Eden Gardens in Kolkata or the M.A.

Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.

And that’s all thanks to the Shiv Sena, who claims

to have planned protests if Pakistan reach the final which is scheduled to be played in Mumbai. It is a threat the BCCI is not taking lightly.

If Pakistan finish fourth in Group A, they will have to travel to Ahmedabad for the quarterfinal. Visas for Pakistan’s players were cleared last week, but an incident-free final is not guaranteed.

“All I can say now is that the venue is ready for the final. We don’t want to comment on the threat

issue," said tournament director Prof. Ratnakar Shetty. "You all know what our stance is when it comes to Pakistan playing in Mumbai. As far as the World Cup final is concerned, if Pakistan are to play, then the plan of action will be decided by Bal Thackeray," said Murali Manohar Johsi in a statement.

"I think we have all bases covered if Pakistan are to play in Mumbai. All precautions have been taken and necessary permissions have been taken from the central government. At this stage, for the final to be moved out is a slim possibility but nothing can be ruled out,” said a senior BCCI official.

The last time Pakistan was scheduled to play in Mumbai was in a fivematch ODI bilateral series with India. Sena protestors dug up the Wankhede wicket, an act of vandalism that finally led to the series being called off.

The Eden Gardens venue was earlier deemed unfit for the India-England match, which was later shifted to Bengaluru. But Eden will be hosting other matches on March 15, 18 and 20

http://www.dcepaper.com/DC/DCC/2011/03/04/ArticleHtmls/04_03_2011_001_007.shtml?Mode=0

Why do these things happen always in India? All are opportunists, trying to find the right time to create problems and gain publicity mileage out of it.

Bal Thackeray should be burnt alive. He is a disgrace to mankind and it hurts to say I am from the same country as him.

If that happens, It will be such a tragedy for people of Mumbai who I am sure do not follows Thackeray's sick ideology.

I will not touch the Shiv Sena issue with people who are not Mumbai/Maharashtra residents. Yes, I have a slight problem with Pakistan playing in Mumbai, and I'm sure most people in Mumbai do as well. For that matter, I'm sure people will have a problem with Pakistan playing in Ahmedabad as well. But that's a skiddy issue and we'll let that slide.

Political reasons aside, I think hosting a WC final in a stadium whose capacity is 32,000 is an utter disgrace, especially when much bigger and better stadiums are available across the country. The DY Patil Stadium is the closest and holds around 60k, both the Chinnaswamy and the Chepauk are around 45-50k. Motera is right there at around 40k I think (numbers might be a bit off). Eden Gardens is the biggest stadium in the SC, even after renovations, which has reduced its capacity to something like 80k. 32,000 just seems second-rate.

fearsome tweak Thakrey. He doesn't run the whole India. Pakistan are allowed to go anywhere they like. They are not tweaking terrorists, idiot!

Bal Thackeray should be burnt alive. He is a disgrace to mankind and it hurts to say I am from the same country as him.

This. Shiv Sena are the biggest bigots of India, if not world.

cricket Thakrey. He doesn't run the whole India. Pakistan are allowed to go anywhere they like. They are not cricketing terrorists, idiot!

I have no idea who this is aimed at, but if it is aimed at me, then I'm struggling to make sense of it. I got the Pakistan are not cricket terrorists part but what was the whole "cricket Thakrey" thing?

I don't think it was aimed at you. Cricket is F*** there.

Just ignore them guys, they cannot do anything. Their sick ideology doesn't really deserve a discussion.

Its irritating that Ratnakar Shetty too speaks as if there could be a slight chance the final could be moved (he says "there is no no change AS OF NOW").

Wankhede holds only 32,000? Damn! Thats too low. But yeah with Pawar as ICC president, Mumbai would have won the vote for hosting the final.

Its irritating that Ratnakar Shetty too speaks as if there could be a slight chance the final could be moved (he says "there is no no change AS OF NOW").
He is also a Chemistry professor in a college here, the Wilson College, so to survive in the city he couldn't really disagree to them. But I am sure that no major step will be taken.

it is really annoying to me that Shiv sena party said that they wont allow pakistan to play in finals if they reach...lol as if pakis are gonna bring bombs there lol.

Iam sorry to say but that man who said that pakis wont play in final. his father will also not stop them from playing final in india if pakis make it.

Its cricket world cup not some big elections

Last edited:
I have no idea who this is aimed at, but if it is aimed at me, then I'm struggling to make sense of it. I got the Pakistan are not cricket terrorists part but what was the whole "cricket Thakrey" thing?
Lol, Plantcricket has again changed the swear filter for f*** word, wow so Cricket all of them :P

I didn't realized it because it still comes here as fling and not cricket. Maybe that's because I am using different skin? Use different skin and you will get what I meant.

I don't know whether you were being sarcastic or not on that skin thing, but one thing I know is that I hate it when people use the word 'cricket' as a substitute for the 'F' word. Seriously, whoever came up with this idea, CRICKET OFF! (This is the first time I used the word 'cricket' in the other sense! :p)

Users who are viewing this thread