World Cup Final moving away from Mumbai?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
KSCA couldn't renovate the stadium due to traffic and parking constrains. The stadium is at the heart of the city and parking has become a uphill task for the cops at Bengaluru. And traffic is diverted for every 100 meters in Bengaluru due to the Metro works. If at all Chinnaswami Stadium would have been renovated, it would have easily grabbed the hosting final

For the Chinnaswamy to be renovated, it will take another 10 years. With the metro works going on , its tough to do so there. I say, build a new one in Bangalore, maybe near Devanhalli, somewhere along the NICE corridor or beyind Electronics City- Hosur side.

Mohali might have good facilities but is has absolutely no cricketing culture to it. It does not even fill up for India test matches, leave alone neutral games.

Disagree. You are talking of neutral matches and plus a World Cup final will not go unsold, especially in a cricket mad nation such as ours.
Secondly, the reason why I suggested that was cause of the facilites and the excellent wicket that you have out there.

Ahmedabad should`nt have got the q/fs either. They should have got a league game featuring India and Bangalore/Chennai/Kolkata could have got a Q/Fs.

Bangalore would have been the best-we have seen the best crowd come for matches here. My second option would have been the two stadiums which were left out by the ICC - Green Park and Hyderabad.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
For the Chinnaswamy to be renovated, it will take another 10 years. With the metro works going on , its tough to do so there. I say, build a new one in Bangalore, maybe near Devanhalli, somewhere along the NICE corridor or beyind Electronics City- Hosur side.

Actually, they're thinking of maintaining at Chinnaswami cause it has got fair amount of history and building a new one will take minimum 5 years! (They've to arrange the land, construct it, get it approved by BCCI (not a big deal) and ICC (if Pawar stays there, even its not a big deal).
But if they construct a new one, somewhere near Devenahalli would be apt place, movement of players would be easy. But keeping viewers perspective in mind, the current location (MG Road) is perfect location. They've to do something (hardest word I'm ever saying, use Cubbon Park for parking :p) and solve the parking problem! (Trying out like using the empty space towards the road leading to Vidhan Sowdha for parking and arranging the practice for players inside the ground). I was shocked, when I saw that. Everything is improperly managed. If they manage well, it'd serve as parking for about 10,000 two wheelers easily (or 5,000 two wheelers with place for players to practice)!

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Anyone watching the Canada-NZ game now would realize why Mumbai got the final.
Its just NZ v Canada and we already have a far bigger crowd than anything that Mohali would have for a neutral game. Its a fact. There would easily be close to 10k ppl in the ground for a morning game between NZ and Canada at Mumbai. You will never get that in Mohali or Ahmedabad.

That is what I meant by cricketing culture.

----------

Also, with the way public transport in Mumbai is and where the Wankhede is located, the ground can fill up in no time. Its that kind of a place where someone even 50km away could easily decide that they want to turn up for the game (if tickets are available of course) and reach the stadium in notime.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Also, with the way public transport in Mumbai is and where the Wankhede is located, the ground can fill up in no time. Its that kind of a place where someone even 50km away could easily decide that they want to turn up for the game (if tickets are available of course) and reach the stadium in notime.
Yeah, this is one of the most important reasons. The stadium is not even a five minute walk from the local railway station.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

The proximity to Churchgate station helps in Mumbai.But the best location in Mumbai is still DY Patil- easy to access as it is located off a highway.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Ideally the Lankans should have gotten the right to host the final, seeing as the last 3 WC finals in the sub-continent have either gone to Pakistan [1996-Gaddafi Stadium,Lahore] and India [1987 Eden Gardens,Calcutta]

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ideally the Lankans should have gotten the right to host the final, seeing as the last 3 WC finals in the sub-continent have either gone to Pakistan [1996-Gaddafi Stadium,Lahore] and India [1987 Eden Gardens,Calcutta]

Ye thats a very good point.

Users who are viewing this thread