World Cup Final moving away from Mumbai?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Mumbai is the most iconic cricketing city in India and has a rich history of producing some of the best cricketers that have played for the country. Not only that, it has won 39 of the 66 Ranji Trophy championships.

Well yea. But in past WC tournaments in 87 & 96 in India, Kolkotta got the final, semi-final due to its size over Mumbai.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Well yea. But in past WC tournaments in 87 & 96 in India, Kolkotta got the final, semi-final due to its size over Mumbai.
A lot of it has to do with the BCCI power structure. Back in those days, Dalmiya's group had the political power in the BCCI. In fact, reading his Wikipedia article, it was because of him and IS Bindra that the subcontinent got the right to host the World Cups in 1987 and 1996. So it makes sense that Calcutta was chosen as the venue for the big games.

The power is back in Mumbai/Maharashtra's court now with Sharad Pawar and his cronies. As a result, the BCCI has been concentrating on Bombay quite a bit. In fact, it was only recently that the Brabourne Stadium at CCI was used for Test matches again.

Logistics wise it probably makes sense to hold it in a bigger ground. Then again, if India doesn't make it, it would be pretty tough to fill up the stadium, in my opinion.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Logistics wise it probably makes sense to hold it in a bigger ground. Then again, if India doesn't make it, it would be pretty tough to fill up the stadium, in my opinion.

Quite true. If India dont make it to the final, the crowds might not make it to the ground to watch whoever it is. Our crowd is still very passionate about our team and are not as general cricket lovers as we expect them to be. The ICC must be praying that India makes it to the final.

War

Chairman of Selectors
That would be terrible if Indian fans even if IND dont reach to the final dont pack the stadium. Someone i think your fans are better than that..

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
That would be terrible if Indian fans even if IND dont reach to the final dont pack the stadium. Someone i think your fans are better than that..
I'd say in Chennai or Bangalore they could fill up the ground. Maybe even in Mumbai, though the fans are a bit more partisan. I don't think Kolkata fans would fill up the stadium, especially given it's so big and given that they're so partisan.

Remember, these are the same guys who booed the Indian team when Sourav Ganguly was dropped from the XI. There were also reports that ticket sales for the games in Kolkata had dropped as an act of retaliation for moving the England-India game from there. I would be surprised if they'd fill up the seats.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Undoubtedly, the Eden is the place to host a final. It fits perfectly. If not, they could play the final at Mohali as well, which IMO is a fantastic place to play cricket and has great facilities as well. It also becomes the ground to host a 2nd semi-final in the sub-continent.

As a result, the BCCI has been concentrating on Bombay quite a bit. In fact, it was only recently that the Brabourne Stadium at CCI was used for Test matches again.

The CCI is majestic, I find it better than the Wankhede and it has a spledid aura around it. The reason why the BCCI has been concentrating on CCI is caus eof the fact that the Wankhede is being renovated.

Remember, these are the same guys who booed the Indian team when Sourav Ganguly was dropped from the XI. There were also reports that ticket sales for the games in Kolkata had dropped as an act of retaliation for moving the England-India game from there. I would be surprised if they'd fill up the seats.

If it is a final, people will flock from any part. Plus,playing a final in such a grand location makes sense. The ICC could have tried to allocate a semi-final to the place, but no idea why it was not considered.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Undoubtedly, the Eden is the place to host a final. It fits perfectly. If not, they could play the final at Mohali as well, which IMO is a fantastic place to play cricket and has great facilities as well. It also becomes the ground to host a 2nd semi-final in the sub-continent.

The CCI is majestic, I find it better than the Wankhede and it has a spledid aura around it. The reason why the BCCI has been concentrating on CCI is caus eof the fact that the Wankhede is being renovated.

If it is a final, people will flock from any part. Plus,playing a final in such a grand location makes sense. The ICC could have tried to allocate a semi-final to the place, but no idea why it was not considered.

Mohali might have good facilities but is has absolutely no cricketing culture to it. It does not even fill up for India test matches, leave alone neutral games.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
If Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore and Delhi dont get the final, then Mohali should get it.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
If at all the final has to be moved out of Mumbai, first of all, even before choosing alternate venue, BCCI should BANG Shiv Sena people, who are responsible for it.

They've renovated Whankhede by spending loads of bucks and losing many matches, that too, just for World Cup Final, and if it moves out due to silly politicians, its absolute ████! The final HAS to be at Whankhede!

And if at all, the situation demands change in venue, I'd choose Chennai or Bengaluru. Chennai should be given first preference cause 3/4th of the stadium has been recently renovated, and we can expect a house full for the final, ignoring the worry of India making it into final. If not, Bengaluru is perfect alternate venue. We've seen the crowd, for the England v Ireland match, which clearly says final will be a house full affair.

KSCA couldn't renovate the stadium due to traffic and parking constrains. The stadium is at the heart of the city and parking has become a uphill task for the cops at Bengaluru. And traffic is diverted for every 100 meters in Bengaluru due to the Metro works. If at all Chinnaswami Stadium would have been renovated, it would have easily grabbed the hosting final.

If Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore and Delhi dont get the final, then Mohali should get it.

Mumbai>Chennai>Bangalore. No other ground is fit for hosting the final!

Gurjot95

National Board President
Mohali might have good facilities but is has absolutely no cricketing culture to it. It does not even fill up for India test matches, leave alone neutral games.
But World cup is of ODI format, right? I didn't agree it doesn't have cricketing culture, you have to stay here to know the cricketing experience. I myself is from Punjab and I know well. Not defending Mohali crowds but The big reason for Test matches is that there is no roofs to provide shade to people who came to watch Test match in the bright sun. But since the final is day/night game, it won't have any problem. No reason why it should not be included, it has supporting wickets (Not a flat one, definitely no one wanted bowlers getting thrashed in final), bigger crowds (in ODI's) and Bhangra to cheer crowds. What more you want! :D

But Mumbai is best, no need to change it.

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
But World cup is of ODI format, right? I didn't agree it doesn't have cricketing culture, you have to stay here to know the cricketing experience. I myself is from Punjab and I know well. Not defending Mohali crowds but The big reason for Test matches is that there is no roofs to provide shade to people who came to watch Test match in the bright sun. But since the final is day/night game, it won't have any problem. No reason why it should not be included, it has supporting wickets (Not a flat one, definitely no one wanted bowlers getting thrashed in final), bigger crowds (in ODI's) and Bhangra to cheer crowds. What more you want! :D

But Mumbai is best, no need to change it.

Ahmedabad should`nt have got the q/fs either. They should have got a league game featuring India and Bangalore/Chennai/Kolkata could have got a Q/Fs.

I would not expect huge crowds for a non-India game at Mohali.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Chennai is the best place if its a non-India final. In Chennai, the crowd that comes to the stadium are the knowledgeable and sporting ones that know more about cricket and are not just die hard Indian fans. So them filling up the stadium for a non-India final would be high (dont ask me why they didnt fill up for England vs South Africa, well that was a group game with no occasion to boost; this will be the final).

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Chennai is the best place if its a non-India final. In Chennai, the crowd that comes to the stadium are the knowledgeable and sporting ones that know more about cricket and are not just die hard Indian fans. So them filling up the stadium for a non-India final would be high (dont ask me why they didnt fill up for England vs South Africa, well that was a group game with no occasion to boost; this will be the final).
Even Non India final will be a success in Mumbai! But if its a Pakistani final, there is a threat from Shiv Sena right..

aditya123

National Board President

ENG-SA was reasonably full as well but the second half coincided with the Ind-Ire game and I guess that had an impact on ticket sales.

Users who are viewing this thread