World Cup Qualifiers

After today's results the top four are the way I expected: Canada, Kenya, Ireland and the Netherlands.

Next match is an important one for both teams: Afghanistan v Scotland. If Scotland loses this match, I can see Scotland taken their ODI status away.

Ireland will have two difficult opponents in upcoming matches against the Netherlands and Kenya.

it's all gone **** up.

this has been a rubbish preformance, too many batsmen out for single figures over and over again. relying on massive scores by two or three players, that we've got players capable of the massive scores is all the more frustrating.

need run rates to go our way if we're to have any hope.

Though if they finish in the Top 6 they still get Full ODI Status.

Afghanistan should still be very proud of themsleves to have gotten this far. Coming from WCL Division 5 to making the Super 8s of the World Cup Qualifiers. It's been a remarkable achievement in itself.

i really liked how some of these players performed, good for cricket all around

i think afghanistan can still go through
if other results go their way and they win their last 2 matches

if they win today vs scots which is looking likely and beat namibia in their last match they will have 6 points.

There are surprising results again this round. Afghanistan will surely beat Scotland, UAE beat Canada, Ireland beat the Netherlands, but the biggest surprise is that Namibia beat Kenya by 201 runs.

For Afghanistan there is a slim hope to qualify to the semi-finals. For that too happen two teams between UAE, Kenya and Netherlands have to lose and Afghanistan must hope that they will have a better runrate then the two losing teams if they beat Namibia.

Last edited:
You'd expect at least one of Ireland and Canada to win, so UAE's fate hinges mostly on whether they can beat Scotland. Namibia are now a pretty good chance due to NRR and that doesn't put anything in Afghanistan's favour, as they will need to produce a famous victory to not only gain two points, but also make a final lunge in the NRR.

There are still 2 slots there for the taking going into the final round of Super 8 matches on Friday.If Scotland,Ireland,Afghanistan and Canada come out victors on Friday,we will have 4 teams tied on 6 points.
Afghanistan are at a disadvantage there with their NRR.Iam still rooting for them and hopefully they pull off a famous win.

Actually, according to the rules listed in that article, I think they've got it slightly wrong. If teams are ranked on tournament wins vs super 8 teams before NRR, then Afghanistan, Namibia and Scotland can not rank higher than 6th. One of these teams will get ODI status, but they can no longer qualify for the World Cup.

Has anybody bothered to calculate the margin by which Afghanistan will have to win this one in order to get their NRR better than the other 3?
(assuming all the other results are in their favor).

looks like afghanistan are gonna fight for this match
just hoping 2 of the other 3 lose big time,

uae are deffo gonna lose,
kenya 50/50 but netherlands are gonna win for sure

At the moment,Netherlands look like cruising to a win and so do the Scots.If Afghanistan do manage a win and hopefully a huge one,we will have to wait for the result of Kenya v Ireland.If Kenya win that one,it would be curtains for Afghanistan.

However,if Kenya lose by a big margin and Afghanistan win by a big margin,both would be tied on 6 points and it would come down to NRR between the two.

aditya123 added 3 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Had the Afghans not lost to the Canadians,they`d have been in the 2011 WC for sure.

aditya123 added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Had the Afghans not lost to the Canadians,they`d have been in the 2011 WC for sure.As I type,Namibia are 79/5.Let us hope for the Afghans to wrap them up under 100.

Last edited:
Forget the IPL, this is where the real cricket excitement is, been such an unpredictable tournament, exciting associates cricket, and now so tight.

Looks like Netherlands are going to beat Canada, so both those two are heading through as expected. Scotland look to be beating UAE, so they have rescued they ODI status at least, and in doing so ending the UAE's hopes due to their bad run rate. So now it's really between Kenya and Afghanistan, with Kenya probably going to lose to Ireland at this point in time and Afghanistan seemingly going to beat Namibia, it's going to go down to run rate, and well who knows Afghanistan may have gone all the way from WCL 5 to the World Cup which is a remarkable achievement, and ODI is all but assured again a great achievement

I thought with India and Pakistan reducing the number of associate teams going through after their embarrassment in WC 2007, it would be a tad dissapointing this World Cup Qualifier, but it has been very exciting, even if the expected four, Ireland, Canada, Netherlands and Kenya go through. However big surprise about Scotland really.

DJ Ager added 2 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

EDIT: Kenya game probably closer than I've given it credit for actually

DJ Ager added 2 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

EDIT: Afghanistan really need to pick up these last two wickets, because even if they still win, it could eat into their run rate

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread