4)Sachin Tendulkar
5)De Villiers
6)Brendon Mccullum
7)Albie Morkel
8)Daniel Vettori
9)Mitchell Johnson
10)Dale Steyn
11)Ajantha Mendis

What's Sachin doing at #4? Why's Albie Morkel even in the XI?

:laugh Guptill. No bias there at all. Got a decent record opening, but that's down to 1 big innings. There's no way he's the 2nd best ODi opener in the world right now. I'd take Sehwag, Dilshan, Gayle, Tendulkar, Watson, Gambhir and Haddin before Guptill. He's a decent player and all, but in an ODi XI opening the batting is going a little far.

A purely stats based (from the last 12 months) XI:

Virender Sehwag - 782 runs at 60.15 with 2 hundreds at a strike rate of 127.77
Tilakaratne Dilshan - 647 runs at 49.76 with 2 hundreds at a strike rate of 98.62
Ricky Ponting - 930 runs at 44.28 with 2 hundreds at a strike rate of 83.10
Yuvraj Singh - 957 runs at 56.29 with 4 hundreds at a strike rate of 111.27
Shivnarine Chanderpaul - 677 runs at 61.54 with 2 hundreds at a strike rate of 77.54
MS Dhoni + - 876 runs at 62.57 with 0 hundreds at a strike rate of 85.46
Shakib Al-Hasan - 508 runs at 36.28 + 26 wickets at 25.34
Stuart Broad - 33 wickets at 27.21 at a strike rate of 27
Nuwan Kulasekara - 38 wickets at 23.76 at a strike rate of 31
Dale Steyn - 31 wickets at 19.87 at a strike rate of 25
Ajantha Mendis - 38 wickets at 21.18 at a strike rate of 28.5

You could possibly dispute Broad's selection, in favour of Umar Gul. But Broad's got more wickets, more 4fers and he bats. Kyle Mills also has a better average than Broad, but Broad's taken the same amount of wickets in less games at a much better strike rate. So I'd say his selection is justified.

And yet he was able to make the world ODI team, yeah he must be average :sarcasm

Flintoff got in as well. Doesn't mean anything. There's no chance that Guptill's one of the best batsmen in the world.

Didn't say he was. But he's come into this New Zealand team as a 22 year old and performed, thus he deserves the credit he gets. To laugh of the selection and name 10 or so batsmen is pretty average tbh.

I think it's irrelevant how old he is. He's performed well I agree, but I don't agree that he's one of the XI best players in the world. If I think it's a laughable selection, I'll say so, and I believe so. Doesn't mean I think he's a rubbish player, just that I don't think he's good enough to be in a world XI, whether it's yours or the ICC's.

Ponting had a pretty lean spell until his break from cricket and return in the 3rd ODI against England. Since then hes been the Ponting of old and you would definitely want him as your 3. Can bat on any surface and can score at near a run a ball.

I would go

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Ponting
Singh
De Villers
Dhoni
Al-Hasan
Johnson
Lee
Kulasekara
Steyn

Batting goes all the way down to 11, if Watson continues his form I'd be tempted to add him in over Tendulkar to give another bowling option to go with Yuvraj and Sehwag.

My World ODI Team:

1. V.Sehwag
2. G.Smith
3. R.Ponting (c)
4. S.Tendulkar
5. M.S.Dhoni (wk)
6. M.Hussey
7. A.Flintoff
8. D.Vettori
9. D.Steyn
10. B.Lee
11. S.Bond

Tendulkar
Watson
Ponting
Kallis
KP
Dhoni
Bravo
Vettori
Johnson
Steyn
Bond

Lee, Al-Hasan, Hussey

What the hell, I'll make one too:
1 Shane Watson
2 Sachin Tendulkar
3 Ricky Ponting
4 A.B. De Villiers
5 M.S. Dhoni
6 Mike Hussey
7 Shakib Al Hasan
Those 3 could be in any order really...
8 Dan Vettori
9 Mitch Johnson
10 Ryan Harris
11 James Anderson

4 quicks (with Watson), and 2 spin with plenty of batting depth. This team would kill it.

Users who are viewing this thread