Your Religion

Nope. Not abolished. What are you talking about ? In Hindus there are Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Shudras, Vaishyas. There are lot of branches. In brahmins there sub branches and in that another branch is there. You are probably talking about Caste discrimination in olden days which was abolished.

In your opening post you 'My caste is Brahmin'. Thats why I asked.

So caste system abolished was a social
one but also in Hinduism there is a caste system? Is this what you mean?

I am a firm believer that is an antonym for everything; antimatter for matter, bad for good, cruelty for kindness and that there is someone highly intellectual and way beyond our mental and physical powers which causes inexplicable things. That said, I do not have the name of that superior being. I neither believe in Jesus, Allah or Rama nor do I ever follow any of the customs followed in any of these religion but yeah I do not hurt the feelings of the people who follow their religion and my actions towards a person would be a reflection of how they have treated me. In case of an unknown person, I would most likely to be cool and kind unless they are causing harm to something/someone.

I find it perplexing religion to be honest. There has been numerous instances like I have been friends with someone for months and I do not know the ideology they follow! Only last week at work I offered some food to one of my colleagues and he refused. I asked why and he said because we Jains need to fast during those particular days. That was when I learnt that he was following the Jain ideology. What is even the need to know the religion of a person? If a person treats you good, you treat them better. Simple as that.

Guess knowing someone beliefs will help u to understand them better. It maybe easy for us to live without knowing others' religion but in many parts of the world social norms require you to find a companion and even friends of certain religion.

In your opening post you 'My caste is Brahmin'. Thats why I asked.

So caste system abolished was a social
one but also in Hinduism there is a caste system? Is this what you mean?
The thing which was abolished was, there was a certain Caste which was untouchable.

The Caste system what I am talking about depends on so many things. Like whether we eat meat, which god we follow, which profession we choose.
Since it's existence,
For example, brahmins normally don't eat meat and they normally take up professions such as teachers, and worship God in temples. Vaishnavas normally choose business/traders as profession. Similarly it's different for each caste.
But nowadays this is not followed strictly.(the professionalism, eating meat/not eating and all the above mentioned things)

For example in Christians, there are Romans, cathedral, etc ( sorry if I am wrong as I don't know about these properly ) Similarly in Hindus many things are there. This is just the basic flow. In actual, there are so many castes and sub castes and it's impossible to count them.

Bottom line is, each caste follow different tradition. Like performing rituals differently( marriage and such), and the above things which I mentioned.
We Hindus don't believe in one God. We have millions of God. ( History is that, whoever did good deed and eliminated evil, we considered them as God. Meaning who eliminates evil energy and brings peace to people)

Does it make sense or I confused you?

Well, I was going to stay out of it, but others have gone into belief systems and the word atheist was mentioned so...

I spent the first decade of my life as a Roman Catholic and went through the processes that happen, received my first Eucharist etc.
I now consider myself an atheist.
I consider myself a 'line in the sand' atheist in that I don't think its my business to go around and tell people that they are wrong and get into an argument with every person of faith I see, which is a common perception. I will come to the defense of others though type thing.

I'm also someone that is available to debate religious scholars in schools and uni's about the merits of religion, but all those are always about the religion itself and not personal in as much I don't go 'You're an idiot for believing' or the like. To the point I consider many of the people I have debated with friends purely because I can keep things 'academic'.
I even managed to get a catholic archbishop to excommunicate me because we were friends, but thats another story...

So don't expect any explosive rants from me on that, however I will answer any questions calmly here or via PM if someone wants to chat.

Guess knowing someone beliefs will help u to understand them better. It maybe easy for us to live without knowing others' religion but in many parts of the world social norms require you to find a companion and even friends of certain religion.
May be we can judge a person by the way they treat other people and share their thoughts as well? You cannot judge a person's mentality by their religion? Every person is different.

Seems like people here are actually quite reasonable, I'll bite.

I am Muslim, born and bred. Originally, when I was 15-16 I went through an agnostic/atheist phase but kept it to myself as I come from a relatively religious background from both sides of my family and extended family.

When I was 18/19 I went on my first proper pilgrimage to Mecca and Medinah and that really centred me. Loved my time there (and have since been one more and hope to go many many more times) as I felt completely relaxed and realised how blessed I am as an individual. From then on, I got more religious and definitely feel that its benefitted my life in a more positive way. I may add that I am a massive believer that whatever happens, happens for a reason.

Feel free to debate and chat with me on this.

May be we can judge a person by the way they treat other people and share their thoughts as well? You cannot judge a person's mentality by their religion? Every person is different.

Surely so, couldnt agree more.

The thing which was abolished was, there was a certain Caste which was untouchable.

The Caste system what I am talking about depends on so many things. Like whether we eat meat, which god we follow, which profession we choose.
Since it's existence,
For example, brahmins normally don't eat meat and they normally take up professions such as teachers, and worship God in temples. Vaishnavas normally choose business/traders as profession. Similarly it's different for each caste.
But nowadays this is not followed strictly.(the professionalism, eating meat/not eating and all the above mentioned things)

For example in Christians, there are Romans, cathedral, etc ( sorry if I am wrong as I don't know about these properly ) Similarly in Hindus many things are there. This is just the basic flow. In actual, there are so many castes and sub castes and it's impossible to count them.

Bottom line is, each caste follow different tradition. Like performing rituals differently( marriage and such), and the above things which I mentioned.
We Hindus don't believe in one God. We have millions of God. ( History is that, whoever did good deed and eliminated evil, we considered them as God. Meaning who eliminates evil energy and brings peace to people)

Thanks for the detailed information.

My username was inspired by the Caste system actually, just a side note.

Since it's existence,

The only purpose of caste today is to get reservations and benefits from govt if you are from lower caste and for politics. Brahmins like us don't get anything from govt. We have to do everything on our merit.
Also anyone can do anything now-a-days whatever be the caste.

Most of the time i behave like atheist. But if someone challenges my beliefs or talks rubbish about my religion then suddenly i turn religious. So i switch between both depending on the situation.

Most of the time i behave like atheist. But if someone challenges my beliefs or talks rubbish about my religion then suddenly i turn religious. So i switch between both depending on the situation.

You remind me so much of a user we had here, Pokerace.

Interesting so youre not too into the religion you follow I guess? Not understanding at all

Users who are viewing this thread