Warne-Muralidaran Trophy (Australia in Sri Lanka) Aug-Sep 2011

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Well I guess it's hard to leave out someone who scored a century although I would have preferred Khawaja being given a shot.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Australia 1 Shane Watson, 2 Phillip Hughes, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Shaun Marsh, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Trent Copeland, 11 Nathan Lyon.

Sri Lanka v Australia, 3rd Test, Colombo: Sri Lanka look to level series | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

So form trumps incumbency. A bit unlucky for Khawaja as he should have been the one that moved up to 3 rather than Marsh but not to be and Marsh took his chance. Marsh is probably better suited to the number 6 spot anyway.

It's a bit strong to call Khawaja - or Hughes for that matter - an incumbent. Out of the three of them, I guess Hughes is, but it's too early to refer to them as incumbents in the way you would call Clarke or Watson.

I agree Khawaja should have been given more time regardless of what Marsh did at 3, but considering how few tons the team makes these days (apart from Huss) you can see why the kneejerk has happened.

I reckon Shane Watson talking about scoring more tons is a direct result of sitting there and watching a first gamer come in and not throw his wicket away and a first gamer that he has opened with in one day cricket what's more.

But I don't like this pattern - Smith got three tests during the Ashes, then he was out, Khawaja has had three matches now he is dropped, I can only assume that Marsh is on a three match rope as well and will be up against it if he doesn't keep scoring runs immediately and that is just stupid, it's as bad as the behaviour around the spin bowlers and how crazy has that been?

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's a bit strong to call Khawaja - or Hughes for that matter - an incumbent. Out of the three of them, I guess Hughes is, but it's too early to refer to them as incumbents in the way you would call Clarke or Watson.

Probably but I find it alot more appealing than saying "The guys that were picked for the first test".

But I don't like this pattern - Smith got three tests during the Ashes, then he was out, Khawaja has had three matches now he is dropped, I can only assume that Marsh is on a three match rope as well and will be up against it if he doesn't keep scoring runs immediately and that is just stupid, it's as bad as the behaviour around the spin bowlers and how crazy has that been?

I would say Marsh will get more than 3 games, the ton will give him some brownie points.

timchrist984

Club Captain
After Harris' injury, it beats me why Dougie Bollinger wasn't called up. He is the best new ball bowler in Australia hands down.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If you thought Sri Lanka's team news was explosive, read this carefully: Ricky Ponting is back, but will slip down to No. 4 in the order. Michael Clarke will follow at 5, and Michael Hussey at 6 - cricinfo

Nice to see Clarke willing to make changes to the lineup although Marsh would have been more than capable at 6, would be more Ponting not in the best form at 3 and likewise Clarke at 4.

Num

Club Cricketer
If you thought Sri Lanka's team news was explosive, read this carefully: Ricky Ponting is back, but will slip down to No. 4 in the order. Michael Clarke will follow at 5, and Michael Hussey at 6 - cricinfo

Nice to see Clarke willing to make changes to the lineup although Marsh would have been more than capable at 6, would be more Ponting not in the best form at 3 and likewise Clarke at 4.

Happy with this shift in the batting order, hopefully they intend on persisting with it in the longer term. Looking forward to see how this bowling attack performs without Harris.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Oh dear, and Hughes is gone 2nd pill...Those Khawaja is better than Hughes calls will get ever louder...

Watson close to LBW in the first over too, just got an inside edge onto it to save himself. Could be tough here, and a true test for Marsh. And he's edging it already...maybe this is why Ricky dropped to #4 :p

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Marsh certainly looks more of an opener than Hughes. Very solid so far apart from that early edge he got.

----------

Interesting series, another debutant gets a wicket on his first ball.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
They mentioned Hughes' backlift and yeah, it is very circular which should lead to inside edges like that. Has he got a history of inside edging? I haven't seen him play enough really, but defensively he looks suspect. Attacking he looks great, but defensive play...hmm...

Australia should be happy to be 2 down at lunch, the pitch looks to have settled and there's less movement now. Good disciplined play from both sides: there wasn't much loose stuff from the SL bowlers, while Marsh and Ponting were generally quite good in choosing what to attack. If there isn't much for the spinners, then these 2 will be looking for big scores I think, with the hard work out of the way. Particularly good to see Ponting less skittish than he was in the Ashes where he was jumping around, often way outside off stump to try and reach for the ball.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Oh Ponting what on earth was that. This is the big problem with most of our batsmen, they get in on a road and then gift their wickets.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Jeez looks like we only have 2 batsmen in the side that value their wickets. Our leadership group (Clarke, Watson, Ponting) all gifted their wickets as has been the case for the past few years. Marsh and Hussey look to be the only ones that value their wickets.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Seems strange that Hussey moved down to number 6, considering he is in form and might be exposed with the tail.

Not a great start from us. We'll need a good last session to make up for it.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Marsh certainly looks more of an opener than Hughes. Very solid so far apart from that early edge he got.

----------

Interesting series, another debutant gets a wicket on his first ball.

Marsh plays with soft hands though, that edge was well short of the slips.

He's looking very solid, I really didn't think that he had this sort of patience, after all, none of the experience guys bar Huss have it now that Kat has gone.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bad light and rain, seems to be the story of this series.
Marsh gave way too much credit to Herath if he was expecting that much turn but at least he didn't throw his wicket away like the others. Hussey has been really good this tour, he seems to enjoy the sub-continent pitches.

Users who are viewing this thread