D/L Method and T20- Mockery of the game ?

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Just check up on the SAF- ENG T20 today and found that the sides were playing a rain -affected reduced game of 11 overs. This brings me to ask the question- Isn't this a mockery of the game ?

5 overs constitute the bare minimum in a T20, but again, two teams playing matches which are worth 5-10 overs is really ridiculous. Surely, the timings can be changed to allow a full game of T20.

Agreed that in ODI's the timing does cause a hindrance to the organizers and all. But T20 ?

harrisb

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yes it was reduced to 11 overs a side. But there a number of reasons for why this happened.

Mainly, there are probably times that Edgbaston have to adhere to, so they probably aren't allowed to keep going past a certain cut off point. Therefore, if possible, you reduce the match so that you can still fit it in. Even if there aren't any time issues, the paying customer tonight probably has to be at work in the morning, therefore if you did keep going until 1/2am, you'd probably find yourself playing in front of a much smaller crowd.

Also, if they did decide that if you can't play 20/20 you don't play at all, it would result in the ground making a loss on the match because you have to refund tickets if a certain amount of overs aren't bowled. So if they can get around paying people back then they will.

It was a great end to the first innings as well... So I don't mind

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
There are certain reasons for any match to be called off, particularly t20 matches as it attracts lots of crowd and you surely have to do something to make their ticket worth. Though i completely agree any 5-10 over international match looks really disgusting to me.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Just check up on the SAF- ENG T20 today and found that the sides were playing a rain -affected reduced game of 11 overs. This brings me to ask the question- Isn't this a mockery of the game ?

5 overs constitute the bare minimum in a T20, but again, two teams playing matches which are worth 5-10 overs is really ridiculous. Surely, the timings can be changed to allow a full game of T20.

Agreed that in ODI's the timing does cause a hindrance to the organizers and all. But T20 ?

Well I have no problem with the teams actually playing a 5 over game, the spectators have paid to see something and advertisers have paid for it too. OK, not NO problem, but we've come down to 20 overs, why not 5?? :p

My problem is with the Duckworth-Lewis itself which is VERY dodgy when it recalculates for a 5 over match. I think it was in the 2009 World T20 in England where there were a couple of stupid 5 over matches where the target just didn't seem right. There needs to be a new system for T20 I think because it's played differently than a 50 over innings

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I remember one of the match you mention, Sifter. It was WI v Eng where Eng made 190 odd and WI got a target of 60 in 6 courtesy of D/L. For an alternative, I think there is VJD method but, not sure how it is different/it works.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Though Jayadevan says that his system works for the betterment of T20, its really difficult to grasp it on your own entirely.

5-10 over matches just dont go down too well unloess they are playing in Hong Kong,which is indeed a format that I really like.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah I think the matches should be 15 overs minimum and they should attempt to play overtime in order to make it happen. The nature of ODIs means you'd need a reserve day to do this, but with T20 it should almost always be possible.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Even if there aren't any time issues, the paying customer tonight probably has to be at work in the morning, therefore if you did keep going until 1/2am, you'd probably find yourself playing in front of a much smaller crowd.
People are allowed to show up at the game late, so they can go home early, too. The trouble is to equate the end of the game with a complete package. If the game is forced to a conclusion after 45 minutes of play, then you're entitled to feel like you're left wanting no matter what. However, the game might go a bit longer and while it's not ideal, it's surely a better offering.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Matches going on longer is crazy. If we ignore the fact that it's not allowed in terms of the venue (i.e. getting people home, noise etc) a night T20 match going on into the early hours is just stupid. People are paying big money (relatively) to be able to watch this match, you can't expect them to sit around for 10 hours waiting for the match to start and then finish because of rain.

Reduced matches mean a result is reached, which is what the crowd and viewing public wants. Who cares if one team bats for 20 overs and no result is reached? It's not competitive. Two teams batting for 10 overs each is at least still a contest though. The key thing for cricket is the viewers in terms of crowd in the ground and TV audience, you can't say 'screw them, they can leave early' because then tickets won't be sold, so matches won't be paid. These games are there to earn money and alienating half of your viewing audience is not doing that. Matches going on into the early hours or just being called off as a draw is entirely unreasonable.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I think administrators could cut some slack though and stop scheduling the T20s for so late in the evening. If rain comes, there really isn't much overtime to play with. eg. I think Australian T20s start at 7:30 or 8pm. Why not start at 6:30? Oh that's right, TV ratings...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
A 6:30pm match ought to be able to run an hour over without being too inconvenient. Even at places like Lord's where there are heavy restrictions, you could play on in reduced light. I don't advocate playing on indefinitely, just to try a little harder. If that must be done, then play some version of the Super Over; those are way more exciting than a D/L finish.

Let's not forget that the match in Manchester for example was reduced to 9 overs a side and they still didn't get a result. No combination of that was a successful game. Of course the old gods in Manchester have hated cricket for some time now, but that's another story.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
They already do allow for extra time. Most matches have at least the hour that you mention in case of bad weather, so overs aren't lost. Anything beyond that just isn't possible and someone suggesting that games should go into the next day is just impractical.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Well, its simple, play a full T20 or forget about the D/L. 10 overs 7 overs, aint just in and I for one wouldn't like to see a World T20 final being played as a 6 over match, which is a distinct possibility if it rains.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
You wouldn't like to see it? I can tell you the full stadium of crowd who will be paying big money to be there would want to see a result. As would the TV audience. Coming back the next day, when nobody turns up and nobody watches would be an absolute disaster for all involved. You've got to think of the bigger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread