South Africa in Australia Nov-Dec 2012/13

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Michael Clarke is a boss. That guy has played another amazing inning under pressure. Though innings that caught my attention was by Cowan. Before the start of the series, I thought that he does not even deserve to be in the team but he was absolutely amazing. This is a brilliant fightback from Australia, and this first test just shows that this series is going to produce much more beauty.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
And to think 2 years ago there were BIG questions over MJ Clarke, with quite a few suggesting that perhaps Simon Katich should be the next Aussie captain instead :lol I've always been a big Clarke fan, but it's worth mentioning that he's averaging 65 as captain - 6 100s in 16 Tests, most of them BIG 100s. Really dominant batting - I couldn't be happier :)

Now that I've talked him up...I really would have preferred to see Australia declare last night, somwhere around when they passed 400, which would have given them about 10 overs at SA last night to try and make something happen. Declaring at lunch today with a lead of 200 will give SA ZERO incentive to score runs. It's easier to get a team out when they have some incentive to score runs.

The other consideration though is: what will damage SA most for the rest of the series? Will batting them completely out the match, getting 600 vs the world's best pace trio be the best way to demoralise them? Perhaps, yes. If Aus do declare at lunch, SA will go out to bat very deflated knowing the match is lost and they've performed poorly in the last 2 days. Maybe that's what Clarke/Arthur are looking for: forgo a small chance at a win so they can really rub it into SA for a bit longer. Of course SA could still collapse badly in the last 2 sessions - they are a batsman short after all.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm all for leaving SA in the field for as long as possible. Make them chase it, then look to skittle them when the pitch is at its worst again. Unlikely of course, but declaring last night would have been bordering on arrogant rather than confident.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I think SA has missed a trick by not picking Imran Tahir. He could have been very useful in the middle overs and during the partnership of Cowan and Clarke. Clarke is a good player of spin but I don't know too much about Cowan. On the other side, Rory Kleinveldt has done absolutely nothing so far. Yes I know this is his first test match but he has looked very average bowling at about 130. Imran Tahir would have been a much better option IMO.

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
I would have liked to see the early declaration last night as well, but on reflection I think Clarke's taken the path most likely to force a result. If the Saffers were put back in and didn't collapse, there's no way they'd set Australia a competitive target and declare - not with David Warner in our side and Graeme Smith in theirs. So really the only way to secure a win is for the Saffers to collapse, and I think that's possibly more likely with them batting from 200 runs behind on a day "five" wicket.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The other consideration though is: what will damage SA most for the rest of the series? Will batting them completely out the match, getting 600 vs the world's best pace trio be the best way to demoralise them? Perhaps, yes. If Aus do declare at lunch, SA will go out to bat very deflated knowing the match is lost and they've performed poorly in the last 2 days. Maybe that's what Clarke/Arthur are looking for: forgo a small chance at a win so they can really rub it into SA for a bit longer. Of course SA could still collapse badly in the last 2 sessions - they are a batsman short after all.

He did it the right way, no point in putting our own batsmen under anymore pressure, don't want a repeat of that 47 all out again, series is still nil all so no point in going all out crazy for a win.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Can't believe all those wasted reviews, then another bloody no-ball wicket. Chances of a miracle are rapidly disappearing now.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
First chance I am getting to look at our attack, Siddle really has dropped in pace but hes bowling really well especially right now.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
One more wicket and RSA bowlers will come out to bat :)

mrtwisties

Club Cricketer
Disappointing to see this match fizzle out into a draw - but there were plenty of half chances that could have gone differently and Pattinson in particular almost always looked like he was about to take a wicket. Not every Test match can have a fairytale finish, I guess!

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Next Test after 8 days :eek::eek:

midgetwars

Club Captain
Australia really did a mental blow. I mean the South African bowlers looked really down after that and the batsman got themselves to 5/160 on a technically 4th day pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread