General Cricket Discussion

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
What would be your ideal South Africa team for ODI and T20?

Presuming Kallis is being rested from irrelevant ODI/T20 bilateral series unless its the T20 W-Cup 2014 or AUS/NZ 50 overs in 2015. I would say this:

ODI:

Smith, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Miller, McClaren, Peterson, Morris, M Morkel, Steyn.

Backups: De Kock, Ingram, Weise, Klienvelt/De Lange

T20:

Davids, De Kock, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Miller, McLaren, Peterson, Morris, M Morkel, Steyn

Ingram/Levi, Van Der Merwe, Weise, Klienvelt/De Lange

I would personally always pick A Morkel in their T20 team, but it seems like the S Africa selectors have lost faith in him & he isn't too interested in playing for the proteas anymore - http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/628062.html

Black/coloured players like Tsotsobe, Phangiso, Behradin, Parnell, Ontong who always seem to be around these limited overs teams really don't deserve to be in.

Amla, Duminy, H Davids, R Peterson, Klienvelt are the only coloured/black players who deserve to be in those team on merit.

In the test team A Peterson, Amla, Duminy, Philaner are picked on merit - thats all they have to do & like the test team i see no reason why S Africa shouldn't dominate ODI/T20 cricket. But they are not which is why in the T20 world cup & champions trophy their teams performed below par.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Wow, big call on Schultz! I can't say I ever say him bowl at the time, only seen a bit on Youtube. Shame he didn't get to play more.

And I think SA should select Philander in their ODI team, bowl majority of his overs with the new ball and really attack teams like they would in a Test. With Morkel and Steyn, they should be able to have most teams in trouble by 20 overs (eg. 8 overs Philander, 5-6 each for Steyn and Morkel), then they can control the middle with Peterson and a bit of McLaren and Duminy.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye real talk sifter, Schultz was real talented. As Donald himself said, he really scared you as a bowler, the only other bowler who ever game me that impression running it to bowl was Akhtar.

Another very talented left-armer lost to injury also was Kiwi Geoff Allot.

On Philander yea i guess with the two new-ball stuff these days he could be worth a try in ODI's. He has been bowling in ongoing English T20 season & he hasn't looked out of his depth with the white ball admittedly.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Bruce Reid as well, the beanpole, couldn't stay healthy long enough to dominate. Just had to put up with glimpses.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My father was a big fan of Bruce Reid. Left armer, over 2 metres tall. Never was express pace must say he was good. He was a better test match bowler. Amazing average.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Hmm, catching up on the cricket news...business as usual for Australia: Cummins and Watson are now injured, Pattinson's already gone home. Now it's just waiting for the inevitable Shaun Marsh hamstring tear...

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
^^ It is an OD. :)
Can imagine this match going down the same way as the greatest ODI match did and going in the hands of the Saffers. Btw, I've mentioned about it in the India v RSA thread already :thumbs

Meet

Chairman of Selectors
^^ It is an OD.
Yeah, just a typo. Actually thought this wouldn't go there as both are actually complete different series.
About the match, it was never going to be a bowlers day as pitch is favoring the batsmen greatly and even IND bowlers are getting hit for runs as SA are going at a rate of nearly 10!!

AkshayC

County Cricketer
South Africa A too played some good cricket there. Too bad they lost it and Mr. Omar Abdullah must have got an answer on Why Virat Kohli didn't select Rasool in his playing XIs during the series with Zimbabwe. :p

War

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting stuff from Dhawan indeed. Certainly having a superb 2013.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
While we discuss about the talented Zimbabwean players leaving their team for other teams, look who has returned in India?

Users who are viewing this thread