General Cricket Discussion

Ireland Cricket News: Ireland still begging for fixtures - Ed Joyce | ESPN Cricinfo

Coudn't agree more with Joyce.
ICC should be the first one to plan such FTP's which include countries esp like Ireland to play against the top countries more often. A match or two in World Cups is just not enough. They deserve to play Test cricket now too!

yeah good article - hits the nail right on the head.

The touring teams to england every year should also have a 3xODI and 2xT20 tour of Ireland before/after the england series. A tour of the UK and Ireland if you like.

Dont get me started on the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe who are just too scared of losing ranking points to consider a proper tour of Ireland. I believe Bangladesh were asked by Ireland to come over for a series this summer but guess what..... they chickened out. :facepalm

Well S Africa's cricinfo correspondent has pretty much admitted plainly that S Africa selectors under the guise of "transformation" name, are promoting coloured payers into the national team on non-merit means:

South Africa Cricket Features: Firdose Moonda: Broken, no, but holes to fill at CSA | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
And to make Lorgat's job a little more difficult, he also has to pay attention to development. In a country with a past as divided as South Africa's, addressing inequality is complicated. Transformation is associated with fast-tracking players of colour but it is not as unfair as that. As a policy it looks at making opportunities to play cricket available to all people and, by implication, those who were previously disadvantaged require more attention.

It is often criticised because it is applied higher-up at the same time as it takes root at the lowest-levels. Many would prefer to see real change at grassroots long before it grows elsewhere because they believe that will allow for real change. But others have growing impatience about the slow rate of representation.

Unity took place 22 years ago and to date only five black Africans, who make the majority of the population - Makhaya Ntini, Mfuneko Ngam, Thami Tsolekile, Monde Zondeki and Lonwabo Tsotsobe - have played Test cricket despite black African communities having century-long traditions in the game. Lorgat himself said he feels South Africa is not benefitting fully by failing to tap into this talent pool and he wants to change that.

As i always say while i understand & respect the complications of S Africa's social history has caused this policy to still remain, as a cricket fan i worry that now that S Africa are the # 1 team in the world & are on the verge of being a great team - they can jeopordize this progress if certain coloured players/black players are picked over more proven white players.

We are already seeing signs in their ODI/T20 teams is being affected by this policy.

Users who are viewing this thread