Australia in India 2013/14-Limited Overs

playkid12

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
so true,I was also thinking the same :cheers:cheers Hope he would be selected in the squad for the next ODI's

Unfortunately, this will probably not occur. Picking Zaheer for Tests, but not ODIs is sending a message that they don't mind playing him for Tests, but want to groom younger bowlers for ODIs for the World Cup. Maybe they believe that Zaheer won't last until then due to his age. He has had a start-stop career due to injuries, and he is creeping toward the retiring age of fast bowlers. I really hope he's picked in the remaining ODIs, though.

Talent is so scarce in that department that Zaheer is probably still the best bowler in the country even when he's 50% fit. However, the selectors seem to be adamant about keeping the ODI team young.

Ishant has been given so many chances. I really hope he fires, since he's supposed to be a hard worker. My heart goes out to him, but by cold logic alone, he really needs to improve. I feel like the only reason he is still on the team is because of the over in the Champions Trophy against England. I still maintain that it was a complete fluke, and the English batsmen threw their wickets away.

He's played more than 50 ODIs. He's had his chance. Maybe it's time for him to spend some time off the team and improve on his skills.

Also, I see a lot of people use "Early Septembering." What does this mean?

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just watched Dhoni innings highlights reel! TREMENDOUS!! This guy's a big beast of a batsman. He got a reprieve from Bailey but that was well after his century (he was on 111*, I think). India is so so lucky to be having two of the world's top current ODI batsmen - Dhoni and Virat Kohli. Both these guys can succeed in ODI's in any condition. Having these two puts India in a good position for 2015.

If not anyone else, its Dhoni who should feel so pained to see all his efforts thrown down the drain by the guy on whom he put his trust, Ishant Sharma.

----------

Zaheer for ODI's is a step backward. At his current age, I would only keep him for tests. And also, he is more useful in tests than in ODI's. India has to find a better bowler out of the likes of Mohit Sharma, Jaydev Unadkat, Mohammed Shami and Umesh Yadav. Bhuvaneshwar Kumar is all set to play ODI's for long. Its the rest that cause headache.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
pitches in India are far too flat

1391695_649019588462229_41168716_n.jpg

ferg512

International Coach
Wow, just when you thought Ishant could not get any worse. I'm sorry but this is becoming beyond a joke, is Dhoni really close with Ishant or something? I have noticed Dhoni tends to have a massive say in selection of the team. Ishant needs to go away get a haircut (so he can actually see where he is bowling the ball) and go back to FC cricket because he is simply not an international standard bowler.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
The problem India have got is the pitches they play on and the opposition they play against. The big series they have are always against the bigger nations and therefore the better players. It means that any decent pace bowler has to bowl superbly to just go for less than 6 an over, because the margins are so small. Any bad ball is going to be put away, because there's no help for them there. I think the idea with Ishant wasn't a bad one. He's a guy who came on the scene and looked good, so they've persisted with him and given him plenty of time to flourish and come good. Perhaps it's just never going to work, I don't see enough of him to know for certain, but that over was just terrible. No bowler should be put out of the ground with ease against a number 8 batsman.

But like I said, they try someone else who then goes for 7 an over, because of the pitch and they're back to square one, because everyone calls him rubbish, because spinners like Ashwin can just turn up and bowl pure filth down the leg side and get away with 5.5 an over or whatever.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Im not sure that this factual stat actually disputes that fact that IND pitches in ODI matches are generally batting paradises & are too flat.

Sure the majority of the top ODI chases have occurred outside IND & Asia interestingly, but i'd be tempted to say those instances were one off matches.

If we run a in depth stats check as to for example the amount of 300 totals scored in India (batting first or chasing) compared to non India/Asian grounds - id be surprised if former doesn't have more instances.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I don't think the Mohali pitch was as flat as they made it look. Some batsmen were beaten for pace and bounce, while the ball kept a little low on others. Roughly half the batsmen looked bad. If anything, the ground itself is too small. Faulkner absolutely mangled one of those pulls off Sharma, but it was a comfortable six. Sure, sometimes you do see a top edged hook fly over the keeper or fine leg for six, but when it's square leg, you have to wonder if it should have been a chance. And in saying that, note that Mohali isn't actually that small a ground. It'd have been a six at most grounds. Maybe it was just a freakish shot, or maybe cricket has enabled big hitting so much that by and large, the grounds simply aren't big enough.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I was going to go to bed once Haddin got out as I thought that was our last chance and he was hitting the ball well.

Faulkner though, that was just brilliant. Twice when he cleared the ropes I thought the fielder would be underneath it, but it sailed over the ropes. Chasing 44 off 3 overs is only something you think would be possible on a video game.

I don't rate Faulkner as a Test allrounder but I definitely think he has the ability to be a ODI allrounder. He's got the potential.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Dhoni defends decision to give Ishant 48th over that cost game - The Times of India

The team for the remaining four ODIs will be picked on Sunday but Dhoni said he believed in giving struggling players to give a longer rope.

"I will talk to selectors if it concerns selection. There are some batsmen who have not made runs, there are bowlers who have gone for runs. All of a sudden when you lose one or two matches you want the playing eleven bowlers to be removed.

"They are part of the side, because they are talented and let's back them. The bowlers who are waiting in wings, they can wait a bit more. Once somebody goes out of the side, tendency is that they are forgotten, they keep talking about new bowler. I always feel that people who are in the side should be given the rope, does not matter if he is a bowler or a batsman."

Don't be surprised if India fields the same team in the next game.

ferg512

International Coach
Dhoni defends decision to give Ishant 48th over that cost game - The Times of India

Don't be surprised if India fields the same team in the next game.

This does not sound good at all, for some reason Dhoni has several players in his good books (like Ishant and his Chennai teammates) and will do everything he can to keep them in the side. Also not really sure why he thinks Vinay Kumar would have been a better option, that guy is almost worse than Ishant in the death overs.

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Is yadev injured. I mean how do you not play the quickest bowler in India who has the pace to bowl effective yorker length in death overs.

Last edited:

Meet

Chairman of Selectors
This does not sound good at all
Yeah, it doesn't actually and its not everytime you back poor performing players, they will perform in near future. Though the case with Jadeja is different as even when he was getting pounded for runs and not scoring runs either, he kept faith in him and gave him chances. You can see the result at present. But I don't think thats going to happen with Ishant as he looks disastrous everytime he bowls even after 6-7 years of Int. cricket. You can have no hopes from such guy.

----------

Is yadev injured.
*Yadav
Yeah, he is injured.

ATMega169P

Banned
India did not beat Australia by 9 wickets...Australian Bowlers beat Australia by 9 wickets :facepalm

Dude get over this Faulkner thing...he did nothing special. Ishant Sharma was crap and will always be crap. I can probably bowl better than Ishant Sharma. Anyone could have slammed 6s against that crap bowler. So Ishant Sharma is the one who beat India by 4 wickets. If it wasn't for that idiot, we wouldn't have lost this game. There was no way in hell that Faulkner would have pulled this off if some other bowler had bowled that over. What did he do when Ashwin was bowling? Ashwin wasn't on top of his game today but still Faulkner couldn't smash him for as many boundaries because Ashwin knows what he is bowling unlike Crap Sharma.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Wow, just when you thought Ishant could not get any worse. I'm sorry but this is becoming beyond a joke, is Dhoni really close with Ishant or something? .

No,Dhoni is only close to Joginder sharma :p

On a serious note - this is not the first time we struggle in pace bowling department. Ishant was never a threaten after his initial days, not sure why we had expectations from him. If you look back at last 15 years of our pace bowling, I couldn't recall any threatening/dangerous/reliable fast bowler other than Srinath and Zaheer Khan. Praveen and Yadhav are two other prospects but they are not even in the consistent scenes for the side anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread