abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ummm if you watched Aurengzeb and Gunday you would know why those comments about Arjun Kapoor were made. He looked like he was sleeping through the movie or high on something. There was a marked improvement in 2 States though. This submissive sort of role suited him a lot better, and he had full support of Alia's 2nd consecutive top performance. Alia did overshadow him in every frame

Overall movie was fun. I actually liked the first half more than the second half. The post-"parting of ways" section was dull.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I think someone said here in this forum before that those who look like Arjun Kapoor must be on some cough syrup.... SERIOUSLY? This guy is really good, whats wrong with him? He can really emote well, he looks this good, what else you want? His dancing is not that great, but when did SRK-Salman-Aamir dance great?

I think you have to realize that it was an opinion of that person and you might have a different one. I still think he is an average looking person. I am not too sure about his acting because I haven't seen him act. And as far as I can remember, Salman can definitely dance.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ummm if you watched Aurengzeb and Gunday you would know why those comments about Arjun Kapoor were made. He looked like he was sleeping through the movie or high on something. There was a marked improvement in 2 States though. This submissive sort of role suited him a lot better, and he had full support of Alia's 2nd consecutive top performance. Alia did overshadow him in every frame

Overall movie was fun. I actually liked the first half more than the second half. The post-"parting of ways" section was dull.

I kinda disagree. I thought Arjun was better than Alia.

Also disagree on the first half-second half comparison. I almost thought I wanted to leave after the first half (felt it was pretty uninteresting). But its good I stayed back, coz the second half had emotions, drama and the meat of the film. First half didn't have enough fun moments.

----------

I think you have to realize that it was an opinion of that person and you might have a different one. I still think he is an average looking person. I am not too sure about his acting because I haven't seen him act. And as far as I can remember, Salman can definitely dance.

Yeah I get that buddy... I was just posting a counter argument.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Well we have to agree to disagree then :)

I think Alia completely overshadowed Arjun whenever they shared screen space. And my biggest qualm with the movie was the emotional parts. It was very poor and ineffective. They had that really "peppy" song playing in the background most of the time, which really killed the feel. Plus Arjun was continuing to be goofy instead of emoting sadness which dint make much sense

If you take Hasee Toh Phasee, the emotional scenes where they part ways (with the Mann Chala song) were very effective and elevated an ordinary movie to a good one. You know it will be a happy ending, but you cannot helping feeling sad for the characters. Dint get the same vibe from 2 States

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Take a bow, Alia Bhatt! 'Highway', what a damn spectacular performance! After Kajol/Rani/Aishwarya, Bollywood could get their new round of superstar actresses who can act in Alia Bhatt and Parineeti Chopra. Both these actresses are absolutely brilliant, and are the future. Wonder why Bollywood overhypes Deepika Padukone who just starred in hit films like Chennai Express, Yeh Jawaani, Cocktail and Ram Leela? Even Ram Leela for which she won Filmfare, was nothing great in terms of acting.

Alia Bhatt is so freakingly good in Highway, I am mighty surprised. And add her performance in 2 States, and you have a superstar in the making.

P.s: My 'Highway' review later... Too blown away to write a review on the film!

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I feel you exaggerate. Now I haven't seen the movies, but from what I know, they're nowhere near the greatness your purport them to be.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I think Deepika's performance got so many accolades because people compared it to her other older movies where she was so flat and dint emote at all.

Alia and Parineeti and definitely better actresses when compared to Deepika, and if they do good projects they could definitely be the top 2 girls on the block. Alia in Highway was just out of this world. Very rarely do we get to see such an honest performance

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I feel you exaggerate. Now I haven't seen the movies, but from what I know, they're nowhere near the greatness your purport them to be.

Who? Alia and Parineeti? I am not exaggerating when I say they are superstars in the making. And read the word "making". Alia was extraordinary in Highway, and excellent in 2 States. Parineeti has been excellent in films like Shuddh Desi Romance, Hasee To Phasee, Ishaqzaade, etc. They have not achieved the greatness yet, but they are definitely on that track (if they continue to do the kind of performances they have been doing so far). And I guess you havent watched either Highway or 2 States (if I am right). Without seeing them, how can you come to such conclusions on just hearsay?

And definitely, these two are 10x better than that overrated Deepika Padukone. And to hell with someone who says I am exaggerating. I don't appreciate such comments. My opinion is my opinion. You are entitled to yours, which is fair enough.

Varun

ICC Board Member
I'm not talking only about the actors, but the movies as well. It doesn't matter I haven't seen them, with basic inference I can construct a reasonable unbiased opinion. I'm not disrespecting your opinion - you are obviously entitled to yours - but I associate your (most) reviews with a fleeting euphoria that fades away in a short while, something which I tend to oppose. Very fanboyish rather.

As for the actors, I do believe Deepika, Anushka and Parineeti are good actors. However, most of hindi cinema is mediocre and anyone who thinks these actors are breaking barriers with playing predictable roles are overplaying their performances.

I hope this does not offend you, because I don't intend to.

EDIT: I do not watch new hindi movie releases anymore, but reach a conclusion from the bevy of reviews that I come across, along with impressions from trailers, storylines. I try my best not to cherrypick reviews according to my opinion. I believe that works.

Last edited:

RPHKR

National Board President
fleeting euphoria that fades away in a short while

Yeah this is what the most reviewers in media as well as in social networking sites do and me too. They give a positive feedback on a film, but they begin to hate it when the time progresses. I had a good opinion on a film but if fades away influenced by environment and the success of it. Sai is no exception and it's the human character. You are unique in your opinions and experience. Your point of view on a matter varies when the time progresses.

I didn't like Rockstar when I watched it, but the environment made me have a good opinion on it subconsciously.

PS: I had earlier mentioned Sai as being biased when it comes to Rahman and Mani Ratnam. :p

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Funny comments
@Varun - Well, since you dont actually watch the movies, its hardly worth "discussing" them with you because instead of taking the movies for what they are you will be speaking based on pre-conceived notions of what you think the movies "might" be. I do respect your opinion, but thats about it :) I would love to learn about what movies you do watch and your thoughts on those movies

About media forcing their perception of a movie on the masses. It happens everywhere and with everything, not just with Indian cinema. I personally dont read / follow reviews (hollywood or bollywood) because most of them are either paid off or too skewed based on the personal taste of the reviewers. Also those idiot critics include plot-lines which actually takes away from the viewing experience

About being fanboyish - LOL. This and "racist" have to be the most overdone words being used out of context today. How does liking a movie or a performance make someone a fanboy ? Movies are art and its all subjective. There are many movies I enjoy, which are rated terribly by critics and movie goers. I am able to look past the weaknesses and still get something out of that experience. Does that make me a fanboy ?

Varun

ICC Board Member
I'm alright with the subjectivity. I accept it. What I don't get is how saying everyone's opinions and experiences are subjective stops me from questioning the basis of the opinions.

Expectedly, my opinions about reviews have been misconstrued. When I say I form a reasonable unbiased opinion from a bevy of reviews, it doesn't mean that I'm only following the big banner reviews the media or a particular group thrusts at me; instead I'm garnering opinions - positive and negative - from a variety of sources - newspaper reviews, online reviews, people I know, forums. Nor does it mean that I'm absolutely judging the movie as amazing or terrible, in black and white. What it does mean is that, since I can't watch all the movies, it helps portray a picture of what the movie stands for, or will it impact me in any way, without even revealing more of a plot.

I understand the movies are art and therefore, subjective. But then you're cherrypicking with subjectivity here as well. What would be the difference between a critically acclaimed movie and a one which doesn't garner much good reviews? I'd rather have you explain how Alia Bhatt was extraordinary in Highway than abusing subjectivity and closing the argument. As I said before, I don't consider her to be a terrible actress nor do I consider Highway to be a terrible movie. I just feel that her role wasn't probably a groundbreaking one, nor breathtaking which-would-blow-my-mind. About SaiSrini, of course I have nothing personal against him and respect him (I have to mention this again and again though, probably out of concern about volatility), what I merely pointed out is a general trend with his reviews and has nothing to do with a single movie.

Fanboyish - being a hindi cinema fanboy than being an indian cinema fan. I hope you understand what I'm supposed to mean. I don't care if it's overdone - it conveys what I want to say.

Didn't imagine I'd have to write so much, seems weird. :p

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I understand where you are coming from (kind of), but again I will say this - you are free to judge a movie without watching it. Its the calling out of the people who actually watch the movie and like that movie and labeling them fanboys or whatever, is where the issue is.

Its as simple as this - I havent watched any Twilight movies, but from the reviews and plotline I can guess that it is probably really stupid and not worth watching for me. But I wont go around calling the people who do watch the movie stupid, because that would simply be stupid and arrogant on my part.

Surely you cannot argue that a person who has actually watched a movie has more chances of judging the movie accurately than a person who has only "read reviews" !

And I would love to explain discuss why I think Highway was an excellent movie and Alia's was a top performance. Never called it path breaking (and dont remember anyone calling it path breaking over here). But again the point is, have you watched the movie? Because it is absolutely futile discussing a movie with someone who hasnt watched it. I am really curious to know what kind of movies do you like ?

PS: I still dont follow your point of fanboy v/s fan in context with this thread or Alia/Highway!

Users who are viewing this thread