Hindi Cinema Discussion

Shahid- Really good movie. The main actor is brilliant, and even though he isn't supported that well by the rest of the cast, he carries the film on his own. The storyline is thought-provoking, original, and well-paced (until the very very end). I felt the ending came far too abruptly considering the end of the movie is revealed in the first scene itself. It was clear why the movie ended the way it did, but there wasn't enough detail. No songs and a very short love story as well, which is always good.

I, me, aur main- Average story. Average acting. Plus points were its short length, very few songs, and a non-Bollywood ending.

Last edited:
Highway- I felt her character switch from distressed to happy was too fast, and her troubled childhood only goes some way towards explaining this Stockholm Syndrome. The message of the movie is also a little exaggerated as it takes it to the extreme (trying not to give away the ending). Moreover, after a very engaging first half of the movie, the second half of the movie fizzles out as the ending is quite clear, and the shift in Alia Bhatt's character is perhaps too uplifting, to the point where there is no conflict in the story anymore. However, despite this flawed storyline and pacing, Alia Bhatt and Randeep Hooda acted brilliantly; award-worthy acting that you don't get to see too often in Bollywood cinema. Alia Bhatt is going to be a star.

Watched Main tera Hero. Same old rubbish.

A few cheesy songs (Palat tera Hero idhar hai- I actually quite liked) and a boring storyline, not to mention highly predictable. The comedy was ridiculously poor and worrying to see what is classed as comedy now.

Watched Main tera Hero. Same old rubbish.

A few cheesy songs (Palat tera Hero idhar hai- I actually quite liked) and a boring storyline, not to mention highly predictable. The comedy was ridiculously poor and worrying to see what is classed as comedy now.

If you're in search of a great comedy movie then watch "Andaz Apna Apna" or "Padosan".Padosan is a very old movie but its still very very awesome.For me bollywood movie of decade 3 idiots(2004-2014)

If you're in search of a great comedy movie then watch "Andaz Apna Apna" or "Padosan".Padosan is a very old movie but its still very very awesome.For me bollywood movie of decade 3 idiots(2004-2014)

Interesting. I really enjoyed 3 Idiots too. Watched it twice in theaters, but IMO we have definitely had much better movies overall and in that genre in the past decade

3Idiots is not even Raju Hirani's best work :) Munnabhai 1 and 2 over 3 Idiots any day :)

Interesting. I really enjoyed 3 Idiots too. Watched it twice in theaters, but IMO we have definitely had much better movies overall and in that genre in the past decade

3Idiots is not even Raju Hirani's best work :) Munnabhai 1 and 2 over 3 Idiots any day :)

I rate 3 idiots very highly, up there with Munna 1. But Munna 2 was not up to the mark.

Planning to watch Humshakal when it comes out, but all Ritesh films are pretty boring.

I rate 3 idiots very highly, up there with Munna 1. But Munna 2 was not up to the mark.

Planning to watch Humshakal when it comes out, but all Ritesh films are pretty boring.

He has a few good ones - Bluffmaster, Dhamaal, Masti.

You should be more worried about Sajid Khan who has never made anything worth watching post Heyy Baby, which was pretty ordinary in itself :P

Just watched "Ek aur Ek Gyarah".What a movie.Superb.Awesome.

Is there a reason you quoted me :P Don't think Ek aur ek gyarah is in any way related to sajid khan or ritesh. Right ?

Watched Main tera Hero. Same old rubbish

That is because you are making poor choice on what movies to watch. Watching a Sajid Khan movie or a David Dhawan movie won't provide you with anything new. Unless ofcourse you are just focusing on comedy movies. If you would like to see something different, watch queen or highway. You might find highway a bit slower but they both are definitely different than a normal Bollywood movie.

That is because you are making poor choice on what movies to watch. Watching a Sajid Khan movie or a David Dhawan movie won't provide you with anything new. Unless ofcourse you are just focusing on comedy movies. If you would like to see something different, watch queen or highway. You might find highway a bit slower but they both are definitely different than a normal Bollywood movie.

Agreed, both Highway and Queen are decent films.

My point was that nowadays the quality of comedy films have declined massively. I mean I remember watching Bombay to Goa (the original-not the crappy remake) and that had a good strong story and decent comedy throughout. Films today, have someone like Nargis Fakhri doing an item song, and same sex-orientated jokes over and over.

Take "Grand Masti" for example. That was a hit on the box office but by far the worst comedies I have even watched. There was literally no storyline whatsoever.

Coming back to the original point, does anyone have any decent comedies that they recommend?

Agreed, both Highway and Queen are decent films.

My point was that nowadays the quality of comedy films have declined massively. I mean I remember watching Bombay to Goa (the original-not the crappy remake) and that had a good strong story and decent comedy throughout. Films today, have someone like Nargis Fakhri doing an item song, and same sex-orientated jokes over and over.

Take "Grand Masti" for example. That was a hit on the box office but by far the worst comedies I have even watched. There was literally no storyline whatsoever.

Coming back to the original point, does anyone have any decent comedies that they recommend?

Bollywood comedies have a taken a massive dive downwards. You just have to think deep and think hard and you probably might not get a decent Bollywood comedy film to recommend. You know the standard of comedy in Bollywood when people praise Kapil Sharma and his stupid show "Comedy Circus" as something great.

Watched "Holiday". Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of the Tamil original version (Thuppakki) and so I watched this film just to see how badly this one messes up the original. I did the same for Ghajini too (the original Ghajini being a huge favorite). And just like the Ghajini remake, Murugadoss does it right for this remake too. He has done a fairly decent job, and for people who havent watched the original (most of the non-South areas), this must be a fun ride.

Akshay has done his job fairly well. I think Akshay fitted the role more than Vijay because of a well built physique and more relaxed facial muscle. But still, he doesn't match up in the comedy and romance portions. Sonakshi is even worse than the original heroine (who was pretty bad too). Music by Pritam is plainly average, with him ripping the BG score from the original and adding his own flavor to it. I mean, wonder why they didn't use the original composer Harris Jayaraj, who gave a decent/good album in Hindi with "Force" (John, Genelia). Also Harris's songs like "Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein" are hits in Hindi. The villian in Hindi sucks. No match whatsoever for Vidyut Jamwal, who did a terrific job in Tamil.

One big positive for Hindi over Tamil is, the setting of the film fits the Hindi version a lot better than the Tamil version. The Tamil version was set in Mumbai, but since for Hindi films Mumbai is the hub, it synchronizes better. And the dialogues are also a tad bit sharper. Given an opportunity, I would watch the original again over this. But for the target audience, Holiday is a good film that should satisfy.

Users who are viewing this thread