Hindi Cinema Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
That 'Kick' trailer is one of the best trailers I've seen in recent times. Considering that its a Salman movie, it makes the trailer all the more special. I hate Salman's recent films (the Salman or Dabaang, Ready, Bodyguard, etc) but this trailer promises a lot with some very Hollywood'ish production values and thrill. I have watched the original Telugu film, but I feel Salman will score above the original hero easily and will suit this role well.

Looking forward to it.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
80% of that trailer is genuinely good but it's the other 20% which makes it seem the same old Hindi movie story. I'm tired of the repeated unnecessary jokes in middle of a potentially good serious genre movie and of course then there are THE songs - these just ruin a good movie for me and sadly, the current trend in bollywood is somewhat around this very concept which is all the more disappointing.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
{Movie rant on}

I think the potboiler, masala movie with elaborate song situations is very unique to Indian cinema and I love it :D But it has to be done well and you still need some sort of freshness and creativity to keep the audience engaged. Or atleast keep me engaged. This is where mainstream cinema is screwing up. They found this formula of over-the-top action, item numbers, stupid-rhyming-dialogues with scripts and stories taken from South blockbuster movies. And then they just used it in the most shameless fashion so much so that every second movie was doing this, just with different actors and directors. Now we are left with a pile of 100-200 cr movies that all look and sound the same, that I personally find hard to get excited about Kick even though it looks decent.

As far as Mr. Salman Khan goes, he is the king of such kind of cinema. If either one of Wanted, Dabbang, Dabbang2, Ek Tha Tiger, Ready, etc was playing on the TV I am sure I wouldn't be able to tell which one it is. Same role with different hairdos and clothes ? But you cant blame him when this is the only kind of role that suits his limited talents

{Movie rant off}

Aditya

ICC Board Member
I wouldn't say Salman has limited talent. If you watch his movie Hum Aapke Hain Kaun - the simple boyish charm suits him very well and he doesn't need the nonsensical action and unnecessary songs to back up his acting. The movie - Jab kisi se pyar hota hai, clearly highlights Salman's serious side of acting. I don't blame Salman for the kind of cinema we have today, if anything it's commendable that he's able to deliver in movies with little to no script.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I would disagree. I don't blame him for the state of today's cinemas but I think today's Salman Khan is very limited as an actor compared to his contemporaries. HAHK was 20 years ago when he was fresh and was on top of his game :) Now he has fallen into a rut.

When was the last time he managed to pull off a non-generic-masala movie. Maine Pyar Kyun Kiya in 2005 ? That can qualify as an out-an-out romcom somewhat. Tere Naam maybe. The recent ones are some really forgettable movies like Veer, Main aur Mrs Khanna, Yuvvraaj. Very boring filmography in the last 5 - 7 years

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
80% of that trailer is genuinely good but it's the other 20% which makes it seem the same old Hindi movie story. I'm tired of the repeated unnecessary jokes in middle of a potentially good serious genre movie and of course then there are THE songs - these just ruin a good movie for me and sadly, the current trend in bollywood is somewhat around this very concept which is all the more disappointing.

Songs in movies have been part of all trends that ever existed for INDIAN CINEMA. Very rarely do songless films do well in India. And non-Indian people (especially the West) have started appreciating our cinema template (the one with songs) more these days. The music video of 'Jai Ho' was a huge hit with the West, and won Rahman the Oscar. Songs are good opportunities to get some light moments inbetween a serious film. Songs can flow seamlessly into the film if the person making the film is smart enough.

----------

I wouldn't say Salman has limited talent. If you watch his movie Hum Aapke Hain Kaun - the simple boyish charm suits him very well and he doesn't need the nonsensical action and unnecessary songs to back up his acting. The movie - Jab kisi se pyar hota hai, clearly highlights Salman's serious side of acting. I don't blame Salman for the kind of cinema we have today, if anything it's commendable that he's able to deliver in movies with little to no script.

HAHK is not an example for the actor in Salman Khan. All he had to do in that film was be bubbly, exuberant. In fact in the second half (where the film turns serious), Salman struggled at quite a few places with his acting. Salman was never a good actor, and will never be. He can cry well, but quite wierdly, many Indian actors (even the substandard ones) seem to pull off crying scenes pretty easily and effectively.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
I'm not against songs and what you say is BANG ON. Songs are integral part of our films and they must stay that way but today's movies.. Let's just say that I'm not a big fan of the way today's film makers try to desperately fit songs into their movies.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I'm not against songs and what you say is BANG ON. Songs are integral part of our films and they must stay that way but today's movies.. Let's just say that I'm not a big fan of the way today's film makers try to desperately fit songs into their movies.

Agree on this one

I would also like to add. The song quality has gone down the drains these days. Only 5 years back we used to have albums where every single song would be worth a listen and memorable. Now even the music albums of big movies follow a formula

1. Punjabi-ish song
2. One honey sing song
3. One sufiyana song
4. One item number
5. Remix/Unplugged versions of the above 4

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Always wanted to watch 'Shahid' after shravi's earlier review of the film, but finally got to catch it today on Netflix - Very gripping movie, completely sucks you into its world. Rajkumar Rao (what's his actual name; he was Rajkumar Yadav in Kai Po Che) was brilliant. His smile reminds me of someone and I am having a tough time mapping to who? But he is such a good actor. I thought the girl who was his wife was also very very good. In fact, every actor in the film did their parts very well (including Taare Zameen Par's Vipin Sharma). Its obvious that the character of Shahid dominated the film and the rest of the characters didnt have as much meat.

I agree with shravi that the ending was far too abrupt. Fans of the "ideal world cinema" will find it very hard to digest (I am from that world, and currently feeling something that I call 'pain' due to the climax; its typical for people who are fed on fantasy films). But that doesn't take away anything from the film. It was crisp and hard hitting. Completely worth watching!

Edit: Finally found out who Raj Kumar's smile resembles! And see the irony here - its Shahid Kapoor, the guy who shares part of his name with this movie of Rajkumar Rao I'm reviewing here. :D

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Watched 'Ek Villian'. I dont want to sound fanboyish (have been accused by some of sounding so), but I thought the film blew my mind. First of all, never expected anything out of both the actors, Siddarth and Ritesh. But both of them turned up surprisingly not only with their own career best performances, but one of the best portrayals of their respective roles (for that genre). Siddarth in particular was very very good. From his first film, I did believe he has the Amitabh Bachchan looks (his facial structure just so reminds of Amitabh Bachchan). But in this film, he puts on that angry young man that epitomised Bachchan and his star power, and he comes out mighty effective.

Ritesh is another revelation. A guy who sticks to slapstick (and at times, crass) comedy flicks and made a living out of it, a different side to him looked impossible. But he shows it very well. Partly negative would be Shraddha, who though looks cute, is a bit over enthusisastic in certain scenes. But she gets to mouth some of the best dialogues of the film. This is a Mohit Suri film (the guy who did Aashiqui-2). This one is emotionally as good as Aashiqui-2 (those who felt Aashiqui-2 was good/great, probably will find similar feelings). Music as always, is the best part of a Mohit Suri film and almost all songs were perfect. Though inspired from a Korean film, the film has been set up perfectly for the target audience here, with the right kind of elements that you associate with a Mohit Suri film.

4/5

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Watched 'Ek Villian'. I dont want to sound fanboyish (have been accused by some of sounding so), but I thought the film blew my mind. First of all, never expected anything out of both the actors, Siddarth and Ritesh. But both of them turned up surprisingly not only with their own career best performances, but one of the best portrayals of their respective roles (for that genre). Siddarth in particular was very very good. From his first film, I did believe he has the Amitabh Bachchan looks (his facial structure just so reminds of Amitabh Bachchan). But in this film, he puts on that angry young man that epitomised Bachchan and his star power, and he comes out mighty effective.

Ritesh is another revelation. A guy who sticks to slapstick (and at times, crass) comedy flicks and made a living out of it, a different side to him looked impossible. But he shows it very well. Partly negative would be Shraddha, who though looks cute, is a bit over enthusisastic in certain scenes. But she gets to mouth some of the best dialogues of the film. This is a Mohit Suri film (the guy who did Aashiqui-2). This one is emotionally as good as Aashiqui-2 (those who felt Aashiqui-2 was good/great, probably will find similar feelings). Music as always, is the best part of a Mohit Suri film and almost all songs were perfect. Though inspired from a Korean film, the film has been set up perfectly for the target audience here, with the right kind of elements that you associate with a Mohit Suri film.

4/5

These were the same exact impression I had about the movie. Very well written.
I didn't like Aashiqui-2 that much but this movie just blew me away

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Anyone saw Humshakals?

Went with my friends to see the film. We enjoyed the company and were cracking jokes regarding the film. The film was lame though. Full of lame jokes. If my friends weren't there I would have wanted a refund :p

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Anyone saw Humshakals?

Went with my friends to see the film. We enjoyed the company and were cracking jokes regarding the film. The film was lame though. Full of lame jokes. If my friends weren't there I would have wanted a refund :p

Heard that you need a strong mind/heart to sit through the film. The film is doing well at the BO, but Sajid Khan films are generally bad for human health.:p:yes

Users who are viewing this thread