India Team Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
@SaiSrini

Excellent post!

I just don't agree with the grooming Pant bit. Fakhar Zaman made his debut in the CT.

I am not saying that they should not blood Pant. But if they think about giving him a few years to chisel him, they have good options in Parthiv Patel and Dinesh Karthik. I really liked the way Parthiv batted for Mumbai in the IPL. His batting has improved further and I believe he is also keeping much better than before (when he started, he was so sloppy and slippery).

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The players can't have any say on the coach.
I moved this here because I feel the discussion does not belong in Champions Trophy thread.

I don't agree with this. If majority of the team is unhappy with the coach, then coach should be scrapped. Yes, India won most of the matches under Kumble. But it is players who eventually go out on the field and perform. If there is tension between players (majority players) and coach, then coach has to go. The players are here to stick around. As someone said, for almost all players, they will have their own mentors. So, Kumble does not get the entire credit for players' improvement. SO, if there is a rift between players and coach, the board has to go with players.

PS: I am unahppy about Kumble leaving the team if it matters.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
He is a very talented kid but sometimes thinks he is better than the game.Ray Jennings

That sums up all for Kholi at the moment. I believe that its a shortcoming and time will heal it perhaps

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
I believe this is a good move to remove Kumble as coach if the whole team had a problem with him but it will be bad move if the problem was with only 2-3 guys.

B

Bigby Wolf

Most wkts by Indian spinners since 16-Oct-2016
15 AMishra
9 Kedar Jadhav
8 R Jadeja
4 R Ashwin/A Patel
1 J Yadav
Credits - Mohandas Menon.

The above stats clearly show that its high time to look beyond Ashwin and Jadeja in LO cricket.Also Mishra took all 15 wickets in the single series against the Kiwis.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That sums up all for Kholi
:lol It's Kohli.

They should be playing Karthik ahead of Dhoni for the first match at least, guy deserves a chance.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I moved this here because I feel the discussion does not belong in Champions Trophy thread.

I don't agree with this. If majority of the team is unhappy with the coach, then coach should be scrapped. Yes, India won most of the matches under Kumble. But it is players who eventually go out on the field and perform. If there is tension between players (majority players) and coach, then coach has to go. The players are here to stick around. As someone said, for almost all players, they will have their own mentors. So, Kumble does not get the entire credit for players' improvement. SO, if there is a rift between players and coach, the board has to go with players.

PS: I am unhappy about Kumble leaving the team if it matters.

What is the job of the coach? To push the players to a zone where they perform at their best and to the team's benefit. We have seen so many times that human beings like to be in their own comfort zones which is not really the ideal zone of 'where they need to be if they have to perform at their best'. The coach holds the mirror to the player and drives them to get into that zone. And most of the time, the players are not going to like it.

And see this article. Just a day after Kumble steps down, Abhinav Bindra (India's famous shooter sportsperson) says this Abhinav Bindra: Just saying, stuck to a coach I hated, for 20 years

If you read the above article, he says "he hated his coach but stuck to him for 20 years and then calls him "his biggest teacher". That's what coaches do. You are very likely to hate the way they push you. But if he stick to them, they are going to help you win laurels for the country and yourself. Didn't we even see this in a popular Bollywood movie, Chak De India?

IMO, the BCCI should set parameters for "where the players can have a say and where they cannot".

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
What is the job of the coach? To push the players to a zone where they perform at their best and to the team's benefit. We have seen so many times that human beings like to be in their own comfort zones which is not really the ideal zone of 'where they need to be if they have to perform at their best'. The coach holds the mirror to the player and drives them to get into that zone. And most of the time, the players are not going to like it.

And see this article. Just a day after Kumble steps down, Abhinav Bindra (India's famous shooter sportsperson) says this Abhinav Bindra: Just saying, stuck to a coach I hated, for 20 years

If you read the above article, he says "he hated his coach but stuck to him for 20 years and then calls him "his biggest teacher". That's what coaches do. You are very likely to hate the way they push you. But if he stick to them, they are going to help you win laurels for the country and yourself. Didn't we even see this in a popular Bollywood movie, Chak De India?

IMO, the BCCI should set parameters for "where the players can have a say and where they cannot".
That is a movie man ! Not real life.
I will give you a real example. And this happened with me. But you and everyone else might find this silly. Trust me. I do.

A professor taught us a subject. He taught us well. Meaning we could understand what he was teaching, but gave hell lot of assignments in both lab and theory. Hell lot of !! I studied in a well known University and there were many activities outside his subject too. Obviously, we could not manage his style of teaching. We discussed among ourselves and signed in a paper and one of the guy went to HOD and complained to him on behalf of us. Then HOD came to our class and talked about it, but we were firm on our decision. And the professor was eventually removed from our class and someone else replaced him.

Did we miss the professor's teaching ? Yes, but as you know most of the stuff are self taught in colleges and we can manage it . Yes, we need professor's help but not at the cost of us suffering. Did we regret it ? No. And why did HOD care ? Because it is the students who matter the most.

The outside world cannot know how it is from inside. Similarly, we don't know what is happening inside.

We=Players.
HOD=BCCI board
Professor=Coach

Again, this is totally different and less complicated than managing an international team, but you get the gist.

And, I am not defending that Kumble's sacking/resignation is justified. But just telling you to view it from different perspective.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
I am not saying that they should not blood Pant. But if they think about giving him a few years to chisel him, they have good options in Parthiv Patel and Dinesh Karthik. I really liked the way Parthiv batted for Mumbai in the IPL. His batting has improved further and I believe he is also keeping much better than before (when he started, he was so sloppy and slippery).

I think bringing Parthiv Patel into the side would be a backward step for India. Though he has a strong record in the last couple of seasons, and his IPL stats have been commendable; he seems to lack the power-hitting game at the top of the order. If I am not mistaken, the likes of Rohit Sharma wasted to much time preserving their wicket at the top rather than attacking. I would say India would be better off giving Karthik or Uthappa a turn in the team - both have become very consistent batsmen with an aggressive mindset (and are more athletic keepers). With the likes of Pant in the background for future XI, it seems that option might be the best for the near future.

S

Satan666

PS: I am unahppy about Kumble leaving the team if it matters.

Exactly this. Kumble is a man of integrity and a true servant to Indian cricket. He certainly did the right thing by stepping down.

S

Satan666

Kohli was never gonna be a good captain. Attitude wisehe cant be that leader, least not yet. I'll give the ODI reigns back to Dhoni if he accepts it and blood a youngster to deputise with him, Pandya is the best choice in this case.

The test team though is where it becomes a bit of a struggle. I really cant see Rahane holdong a place in the 11 or being that good of a captain to lead the side. The safest way to go is by reinstating Gambhir as a player and captain, unless his ban is extended to international cricket also.

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Kohli was never gonna be a good captain. Attitude wisehe cant be that leader, least not yet. I'll give the ODI reigns back to Dhoni if he accepts it and blood a youngster to deputise with him, Pandya is the best choice in this case.

The test team though is where it becomes a bit of a struggle. I really cant see Rahane holdong a place in the 11 or being that good of a captain to lead the side. The safest way to go is by reinstating Gambhir as a player and captain, unless his ban is extended to international cricket also.

Kohli as a leader has made India the undisputed best team on the planet. One game shouldn't change how he's perceived. Could argue Rahane/Ashwin possess keener cricketing minds but replacing Kohli as the captain would be knee-jerk at its finest and would also obviously affect the dressing room. The media hype around him is extremely annoying but some of the criticisms on the internet about him after the final has been very unfair too.

As for Kumble, players are more important than the coach. If you're a decision-maker, who would you keep? A player in the peak of his career who aside from being ridiculously good at his job also brings in millions of revenue or a coach whose influence on the game doesn't extend (for the major part) beyond the dressing room?

Users who are viewing this thread