ICC Cricket World Cup - May/July 2019

Who will be crowned the ODI World Champion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are being too pessimistic with this thing.
I would rather call it having modest expectations. There are talks going around that the WC is ours for the taking. I certainly do not think so.

You aren't even seeing the performance of the team in last 15 months or so
Granted i haven't followed the last 15 months very closely, but I fail to recount any remarkable achievements in ODIs. And the last ODI series against Australia wasn't a confidence booster either.

And also the way KL Rahul batted in the warm-up is a big positive for us !!!
The thing about KL Rahul is that he is very inconsistent. There are flashes of brilliance but never sustained performances. He would have one innings of brilliance during an enitre tour and below average the rest of the times.

I was KL Rahul admirer a year ago but that has sadly changed. I'm hoping he proves me wrong but I'm not betting on it.

It's been a really boring World Cup thus far.

Incredibly boring

Nothing to do with the wickets or atmosphere. The losing teams have been lacking fight

AFG is refreshing to watch. Giving wayyyy more fight than Sri Lanka and Pak

but I fail to recount any remarkable achievements in ODIs.

We have been in top 3 ODI rankings for most part of the last decade in ODIs. We beat South Africa in South Africa 5-1 although there were few players who weren't playing for them but we absolutely dismantled them in all departments, beat Australia in Australia 2-1, beat SL in SL 5-0, beat WI in WI 3-1 & beat NZ in NZ 4-1. And again coming to the Australia series thing again the pitches weren't as friendly for batting as we get in ICC tournaments except the 4th ODI where it was a run-fest. I don't remember sides being consistent to this extent except for the Australian team in early 2000's but that team was a class apart so no, I wouldn't be comparing our team with that side and neither I am saying that we are the best team in the world and to a major extent we aren't. And I don't feel we are running away with the Cup but we definitely stand as favourites !!

If these conditions persist, hard to see any Asian side make it to the knockouts, including India. One positive for India is that we have a much much improved bowling attack this time and we have a sponge in MSD in the middle order if things go wrong where MSD will take us to respectability. But I expect India to fall short if these conditions persist because we just don't have the batsmen who can fight it out in the middle in tough conditions. Hope the sun shines a lot more brighter soon (not just when India comes in; but even otherwise).

But seriously, this WC needs a serious dose of energy injected immediately. I can't believe the ICC decided to introduce India into the 7th day of the tournament. Right now ATM whether other countries and their fans like it or not, India bring in about 75-80% of the overall cricket watching audience (ball park numbers; don't hold me for it) and a huge chunk of that audience get excited when India plays and that has a snowball effect on the rest of the tournament where their minds are wired into the tournament and they end up watching other games. So it makes logical sense to introduce India as quickly as possible (like on the 2nd or 3rd day).

If these conditions persist, hard to see any Asian side make it to the knockouts, including India. One positive for India is that we have a much much improved bowling attack this time and we have a sponge in MSD in the middle order if things go wrong where MSD will take us to respectability. But I expect India to fall short if these conditions persist because we just don't have the batsmen who can fight it out in the middle in tough conditions. Hope the sun shines a lot more brighter soon (not just when India comes in; but even otherwise).

But seriously, this WC needs a serious dose of energy injected immediately. I can't believe the ICC decided to introduce India into the 7th day of the tournament. Right now ATM whether other countries and their fans like it or not, India bring in about 75-80% of the overall cricket watching audience (ball park numbers; don't hold me for it) and a huge chunk of that audience get excited when India plays and that has a snowball effect on the rest of the tournament where their minds are wired into the tournament and they end up watching other games. So it makes logical sense to introduce India as quickly as possible (like on the 2nd or 3rd day).

ICC would ensure that Asian sides get better conditions as they want to tournament to prolong as long as possible. We would see better conditions as the tournament progresses

The Afghans are going to beat a few sides here.

It's been a really boring World Cup thus far.
I agree it's all been one sided games so far, I really want to see close games.
Hopefully next games can give us a great match like Pakistan vs England and India vs South Africa, Looking forward to that India vs Pakistan match....I wonder is it still on because they wanted to boycott it?

Virat Kohli has two average world cup so far in his career - yes his overall average is 40 in the world cup (also in 2011 was a different Kohli back then) but compare to his career average (59 odd) and the one in the last 2 years (80 odd) that 40 in the world cup looks mediocre with just 2 hundreds.

So Kohli might be looking to turn it around this time leading from the front as a leader with the bat and perhaps battles off the field might just fired him up a bit more.

We have been in top 3 ODI rankings for most part of the last decade in ODIs.
Honestly, I couldn't care less about the team rankings. They don't give the real pucture. If I'm not wrong, India were still holding the #1 position inspite of losing important series like SA and England.

We beat South Africa in South Africa 5-1 although there were few players who weren't playing for them but we absolutely dismantled them in all departments, beat Australia in Australia 2-1, beat SL in SL 5-0, beat WI in WI 3-1 & beat NZ in NZ 4-1.
SA - As you said weren't at full strength
SL - Not an ideal benchmark to compare
WI - Though an improved side of late, still not performing at full level

The only credible win is against NZ. The 2-1 win against Australia - was this the same tour in which India won the Test series?

Australia could have sent Maxi instead of Smith in order to wrap up things quickly and get that marginal NRR boost that might prove crucial later on. A missed trick by Finch IMO

Users who are viewing this thread