TV Series General Discussion

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
@wasteyouryouth @ahmedleo414 the both of you need some Andor in your lives. :spy
I have not seen a single piece of Star Wars media and I don't plan to any time soon.

seinfeld-for.gif

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have not seen a single piece of Star Wars media and I don't plan to any time soon.

seinfeld-for.gif

This is perhaps the least Star Wars-y a piece of Star Wars media has ever had. Could have just claimed that it was set in another new fictional universe and it would have probably been more popular without the negative effects from the previous attempts in the franchise.

It’s one of the reasons why I like the show admittedly, it is grounded in a way very few shows with the background of a space opera or sci-fi tend to be.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Here's one I stumbled across while browsing for something new to watch. Finished both seasons in a week.

The trailer could have been a little better. Interesting plot and mystery.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
Just watched the mid season finale of Yellowstone and man this show has gone downhill so much the last couple of seasons.

From what I'm hearing the creator is barely a part of it since he's focusing on Tulsa King (which has been great so far) and 1923 (which I haven't seen yet).

I used to love the Beth character but they have made her so annoying that I want to turn off the show every time she shows up now. They turned Jamie into someone that used to stand up to his sister to now crying everytime she's near him. I think up to season 3 the show was great but since then I haven't enjoyed it as much.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Been watching For All Mankind. Alternate history story based on the idea that the Soviet Union landed on the Moon first.

It's good, some things frustrate me but finding myself easily working through it.

Recommended for fans of Star Trek, The Expanse and Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D Moore is one of the creators) or just alternate history stories.

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvdHZzZXJpZXMvUlRUVjU5MTgyNS53ZWJw.jpg

Bevab

Staff Member
Been watching For All Mankind. Alternate history story based on the idea that the Soviet Union landed on the Moon first.

It's good, some things frustrate me but finding myself easily working through it.

Recommended for fans of Star Trek, The Expanse and Battlestar Galactica (Ronald D Moore is one of the creators) or just alternate history stories.

View attachment 275042

One of the criticisms I’ve seen it receive are the melodramatic nature of it at times, wonder if that’s something that affected how you saw it?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
One of the criticisms I’ve seen it receive are the melodramatic nature of it at times, wonder if that’s something that affected how you saw it?
One thing is how music is used. A lot of popular songs (some of my absolute favourites) but it often feels cheesy and too on the nose sometimes. Like they wanted to convey an emotion so they searched for a song with that emotion in the title and used it. Ronald D Moore has a track record for, what I would consider to be poor use of music (Battlestar Galactica using All Along The Watchtower). That might not bother people as much as it does me though.

It definitely feels more melodramatic than a lot of shows but that can be good and bad. I'd say there's something for everyone; sci-fi, politics, drama. All that being said, one thing it does create is quite a brutal world. Space is dangerous and shit gets real.

I looked at the review scores and it seems to go up about 10 points each season and that's probably how I felt. First season was interesting, it gets better and better, particularly as the world develops and diverges from our own but also reflects socio-political topics we deal with. It'd be interesting to see if it would be more popular if it wasn't hidden away on Apple.

Bevab

Staff Member
One thing is how music is used. A lot of popular songs (some of my absolute favourites) but it often feels cheesy and too on the nose sometimes. Like they wanted to convey an emotion so they searched for a song with that emotion in the title and used it. Ronald D Moore has a track record for, what I would consider to be poor use of music (Battlestar Galactica using All Along The Watchtower). That might not bother people as much as it does me though.

It definitely feels more melodramatic than a lot of shows but that can be good and bad. I'd say there's something for everyone; sci-fi, politics, drama. All that being said, one thing it does create is quite a brutal world. Space is dangerous and shit gets real.

I looked at the review scores and it seems to go up about 10 points each season and that's probably how I felt. First season was interesting, it gets better and better, particularly as the world develops and diverges from our own but also reflects socio-political topics we deal with. It'd be interesting to see if it would be more popular if it wasn't hidden away on Apple.

I do love the concept of space being an unwilling antagonist as that is completely true. Expanse always gets extra points for me due to it. Haven’t heard anything about the music.. the melodrama was more to do with how characters acted in their personal lives and how the show had an undue focus on it at times but I suppose it could be seen as a realistic aspect of it too haha. Might have to check it out in any case.

It would have been slightly more popular but not by much if it was more widely accessible. I’ve given up on shows that are primarily set in space with a focus on hard sci-fi ever becoming widely popular again after The Expanse never got it’s fair due. Important to remember that the US market is huge for Apple products and Apple Tv will probably still be fairly noteworthy in the upcoming years at the least. It’s not a coincidence that their two most successful shows in Ted Lasso and For All Mankind have both had American characters at the centre of the story and are very relatable for their primarily US audience.

Users who are viewing this thread