Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I have always said the core gameplay and the foundations are very solid. If it's gets some love it will be a cracking game of cricket!
I’m not sure that this is the case. I think there is an underlying design issue that will always lead to unsatisfactory outcomes. This is obviously not something I know for certain but there is some evidence to support this in C22 (and C24 shares the same code base). For instance, I would often get into positions where, when I was bowling, the batter would start edging every delivery until they were caught…this could span two overs but the implication was that the game had calculated that it was time for a wicket and it would conspire to make that happen. It didn’t really matter what I decided to bowl or how well I executed it. This is what stops it being a game…it is an entertainment, perhaps, but not a game.
What I would like to see are three distinct phases in a delivery, none of which are dependent on the other for their outcome. So, when bowling, the first phase would be the delivery by the bowler which should trigger a physics simulation of the ball. The second should be a batter responding to the physics, based on the game context, previous delivery knowledge, their skill and their preference to, say, play on the on side etc. The third should be the way in which the fielders respond to the batter’s shot or attempt at a shot. This would allow for things like batters being bowled leaving a ball, getting wickets with bad balls, setting a batter up, bowler getting punished for being too predictable or wayward, batters taking more risks if the game required it (e.g. final over of T20 or falling behind the run rate) etc. As it stands I think outcomes are predetermined without any real de-coupling of the actions of the bowler and the batter.
Just a thought. I could be wrong.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I’m not sure that this is the case. I think there is an underlying design issue that will always lead to unsatisfactory outcomes. This is obviously not something I know for certain but there is some evidence to support this in C22 (and C24 shares the same code base). For instance, I would often get into positions where, when I was bowling, the batter would start edging every delivery until they were caught…this could span two overs but the implication was that the game had calculated that it was time for a wicket and it would conspire to make that happen. It didn’t really matter what I decided to bowl or how well I executed it. This is what stops it being a game…it is an entertainment, perhaps, but not a game.
What I would like to see are three distinct phases in a delivery, none of which are dependent on the other for their outcome. So, when bowling, the first phase would be the delivery by the bowler which should trigger a physics simulation of the ball. The second should be a batter responding to the physics, based on the game context, previous delivery knowledge, their skill and their preference to, say, play on the on side etc. The third should be the way in which the fielders respond to the batter’s shot or attempt at a shot. This would allow for things like batters being bowled leaving a ball, getting wickets with bad balls, setting a batter up, bowler getting punished for being too predictable or wayward, batters taking more risks if the game required it (e.g. final over of T20 or falling behind the run rate) etc. As it stands I think outcomes are predetermined without any real de-coupling of the actions of the bowler and the batter.

Your correct in everything you say. But for what it is. You can have an enjoyable game out of it. As others have said.

Obviously it won't be for everyone.

Although your rarely get a wicket unless it's a perfect input and I make it hard as possible and turn all HUDS off to make that as hard as possible.

I have kinda come to the realisation that what we want isn't really going to come and at 35 I'm half past caring. So I'm happy to try make the best of what we got.

threetoed

School Cricketer
Hope BigAnt is watching Norway v. Luxembourg at the European Cricket Championship, because the commentators have some suggestions for cricket games! An NBA Jam-like take on the sport.

shan111

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I fully support adding licenses for Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny.

What we really need to do is to coax a British developer into producing W.G.Grace Cricket 25.

Maybe Rockstar? They'll probably add a lot of guns and swearing.
Gunning down the target would take a whole new meaning in that game. Booming cover drive could kill a fielder. Would be entertaining to see explosive batting on minefield of a pitch...

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3

Anyone else faced this? Got out like thrice in the same innings.
Yup, happened to me three times last night also.

3rd time when I saw the batsman was about to do this again, I pressed the cancel run button to see what will happen. It felt like pressing it triggered him to move out of the crease that time and get out lol.

invisibleman18

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Haven't been through the whole thread and I didn't end up playing the previous game that much so can't comment on how different it is. Just had my first go at this game. First did the tutorial to get the hang of the controls having not played Cricket 22 in a while, then played a T20 as England and only done the batting innings so far. So not a big sample size, but felt the graphics and gameplay were solid enough. Only weird gameplay things that happened in the one innings I've played were twice an unnecessary over throw went to the boundary when I'd run a single as there was no fielder behind the stumps at the bowlers end to stop the throw. Other bugs were mainly in the commentary - things like saying I'd "hit one over the top" when it was along the ground for a single, saying I'd made a "good start to the chase" when I was batting first, calling players by the wrong names (the lady commentator called Malan 'Jamieson,' and they called Buttler some other name I didn't recognise), and the lady commentator called Adam Gilchrist 'David' at one point. Small sample size as I've only played one T20 batting innings so far but these things I noticed I assume could easily be fixed in an update.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Your correct in everything you say. But for what it is. You can have an enjoyable game out of it. As others have said.

Obviously it won't be for everyone.

Although your rarely get a wicket unless it's a perfect input and I make it hard as possible and turn all HUDS off to make that as hard as possible.

I have kinda come to the realisation that what we want isn't really going to come and at 35 I'm half past caring. So I'm happy to try make the best of what we got.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s again the same bias in here where the only ones that remain are those who like the current flavour of gameplay design. Saw this on r/cricket where someone said “BA’s game all feel the same and you know what you’re getting” which seems spot on. By now you’re either used to the quirks in the gameplay design choices or you’ve grown to like them for what they are and if you never did or fell out of favour you would have ditched the series long ago like some of the older members have said they did in this thread.

B

Bigby Wolf

Just saw a big poster of cricket 24 ps5 bundle at the entrance of R-city mall (Mumbai) while going to work.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
Something needs to be done about the wicketkeeper:

Diving in front of slips to catch impossible balls 1 mm from the ground
Sliding and jumping all over the place with balls thrown back to him EVERY SINGLE TIME
Awkward animations
Collision issues all over the place as do many players
Sliding through the players and the stumps

And this has been the case since God knows when.

Can the Wicketkeeper for the love of God just be reasonably human and get some serious TLC

If the wicketkeeper could be really looked at it would make the rest of the fielding bearable.

I have no qualms about the wickets themselves: genuine nicks playing down the wrong line or too early or too late but the wicketkeeper's antics cheapen it all to the point you just cant be arsed.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I think we are seemingly witnessing that a majority of us here will eventually buy the game if nothing but our pure love for cricket . Kind of makes me feel that Big Ant was banking on that, and hence the focus group was someone else.

The price tag is one of the major factors preventing me from joining the bandwagon as I can't seem to get myself to justify spending that much for a few upgrades. Licenses hold no meaning to me.

The last title I bought was C19 as it had a very attractive price point. I stayed off C22 but I'm hoping things change gameplay wise in future iterations to allow me to make an investment in the product. For now, it's still a no-go for C24 as I feel (pure speculation) not much will be done via patches apart from fixing the UI and glaring bugs.

caprikaps

Club Captain
My reason for not making the purchase is rooted in the desire to stand by what's right. I have complete faith in BA's capability to create a next-generation cricket game. The missing element is intent. Despite my strong desire to make the purchase even today, doing so would only perpetuate BA's practice of delivering subpar titles year after year without considering user preferences.

They still haven't included the NZ licensed players promised in C22. The fielding aspect remains chaotic, and, frankly, I doubt it will be resolved in this edition. While I eagerly await each patch with hope for fundamental fixes, deep down, I recognize the reality of how the industry operates.

I have a suspicion that BA is aware of the IND-PAK match tomorrow and is making an effort to add the Narendra Modi stadium through a patch, expecting Indian users to make more purchases as a result. Unfortunately, the focus is still not on enhancing gameplay.

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
Diving in front of slips to catch impossible balls 1 mm from the ground
Sliding and jumping all over the place with balls thrown back to him EVERY SINGLE TIME

Can we call it Mohammad Rizwan bug? Such lifelike similarity :p

Users who are viewing this thread