Dhoni's gloves

If it was Gilchrist with illegal gloves there would be an uproar.

He broke the rules, simple as that. I feel he should also be fined or given a match ban. I don't care if it was intentional or not, it was cheating.

Putting half a squash ball in a glove is all right, is it?:eek:

theres no rules against the squash ball thing.
You try it an i bet it wont help u at all.

Im pretty sure gilly an boucher were using them baseball style gloves a few years back an they were made illegal.
After that there were strict rules put in place for whats legal an whats illegal.

Putting half a squash ball in a glove is all right, is it?:eek:

Yes it is alright as there is nothing in the rulebook to dictate that it's an illegal practise. Using extra strapping on wicket-keeping gloves that gives the keeper illegal help when catching the ball is against the rules of the game; something that was rightly picked up on by the umpires.

It was really oversight from the match officials rather than anything else. Dhoni has been sporting those gloves since the test series and it took a catch that got stuck in the webbing to show that they were illegal.

I'm of the opinion that things like that should be approved before a cricket match/series starts so that we don't end up in situations like this.

Its illegal, why are people trying to divert the subject into the squash ball thing which is perfectly. The issue is that he wore the incorect and illegal and it 'argueably' meant he could something he would normally not be able to catch

Its illegal, why are people trying to divert the subject into the squash ball thing which is perfectly. The issue is that he wore the incorect and illegal and it 'argueably' meant he could something he would normally not be able to catch

Yes, it was against the rules and the officials should have got it right back at the start of the series. The squash ball thing was just a snide attempt to distract people from the real argument. The rules currently are that squash balls in batting gloves are legal. Reinforced webbing in wicketkeeping gloves is illegal. End of story.

It was really oversight from the match officials rather than anything else. Dhoni has been sporting those gloves since the test series and it took a catch that got stuck in the webbing to show that they were illegal.

You may be right, but I had never noticed them before. Even beforehe took that catch, the pattern looked different to me.

You may be right, but I had never noticed them before. Even beforehe took that catch, the pattern looked different to me.
I had definitely noticed them before. In fact, there was a comment made earlier in the Australian summer (perhaps by Ian Chappell) that there may be a problem when it comes to stumpings or run outs because the gloves were of such similar color to the stumps. I guess you could try to look up Cricinfo photos.

Two parties are at fault: Dhoni for using an illegal pair of gloves and the ICC for not picking up on it earlier.

Dhoni would have known I think. He should get a 1 or 2 match ban, perhaps a fine. Even if he didnt know, he should still be punished

Dhoni would have known I think. He should get a 1 or 2 match ban, perhaps a fine. Even if he didnt know, he should still be punished
I don't think he knew. And the very fact that the illegality of his gloves were found out after playing with it all summer, at such a late stage in the tour shows that the crime committed is hardly substantial. I think Dhoni would probably have plead innocent since he may not have been aware of the rule and the match referee probably took all that into account.

Not aware of the rule, yeh right. He's a keeper, he should be clued up on all the rules regarding Wicket-Keepers. Even the Keepers at my club know about the webbing rule and mentioned the B Team keeper's gloves last season at training. If club cricketers are aware of the rules then an international keeper should be aswell. I don't get how players can claim naivity and get away with it. Mohammed Asif for example claimed that he didn't know what he was taking when he got found guilty of drug-taking, that's not an excuse; and shouldn't be a valid excuse for Dhoni.

Users who are viewing this thread