General Cricket Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yes, you are right. The UK doesn't have birthright citizenship, unless Anushka/ Virat were one. not sure about Anushka, but Virat certainly doesn't seem to be a British Citizen. Had the kid been born in the States, he would have become an US citizen.

Grass-roots development should be on the WICB, right? Or creation of school-specific programs/ other activities that might get people interested in the sport should be the onus of the WICB. I get if the franchise wasn't doing well over the years, but the Tallawahs have been league winners. Govt interference can be accepted in cases of match fixing etc, but there hasn't been a documented case of any such activity.

Believe Jamaica has their own cricket association that oversees grassroots cricket. You had the league’s chief executive criticise their government for the lack of interest a year ago. Their stadium last hosted an international game in August 2022 and there hasn’t been any CPL game there since the pandemic. Their star U19 batter wasn’t even picked in the recent FC squad and that FC team has won only two games in total since 2022. None of these are signs of a healthy environment for the sport.
Post automatically merged:

https://jamaicans.com/did-the-jamaican-government-diss-west-indies-cricket/

Found this article whilst looking up for further traces of Jamaica’s lack of interest in cricket in recent times.

Almost forgot this, but the Tallawahs let go of Rovman Powell after he led them to the CPL title. That alone should answer your question of them being competent.

Last edited:

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Hardly surprising! Indian batsmen and virtually new bowlers are a match made in heaven. While Cummins has won everything, I think a lot has to do with the exit of Langer+ complete control in the hands of Cummins.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Time for Ishan and Shreyas to announce test retirement. This 'hunger' games talk is absolute nonsense. You create the IPL and then you call out players for 'lack of hunger'!

Anyways its time young players enter the cricketing system with their priorities sorted and they should say "I want to play only IPL and white ball formats". Will see where this goes!

Bevab

Staff Member
Looks like Gurbaz will finally play test cricket, good to see.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Time for Ishan and Shreyas to announce test retirement. This 'hunger' games talk is absolute nonsense. You create the IPL and then you call out players for 'lack of hunger'!

Anyways its time young players enter the cricketing system with their priorities sorted and they should say "I want to play only IPL and white ball formats". Will see where this goes!
Actually, a lot of players have started going that way. Test matches aren't really the pinnacle anymore. Toiling your body for 5 days and not getting recognized adequately can impact someone mentally.

In the Indian setup specifically, some of these players haven't been given a chance and have spent an eternity on the sidelines. Kishan speaking out about how he was sidelined is quite fair. In fact, Hardik only plays ODI and T20. He was never cut out for Tests.

A lot of these guys end up saying 'Test Cricket is the pinnacle. We want to play' on account of people like Kohli, who believe so. Youngsters don't want to jeopardize their chances of getting into the team.

I actually applaud Manoj Tiwary for attacking the base notion of the Ranji itself. Pity he got told off for it though.

As for Shreyas and Ishan- I think they are quite valuable when it comes to the shorter formats and should be an integral part of the setup there. The hunger bit- it is quite stupid, cause this will apply to a handful of people only. I don't really see a Rohit, Virat, Bumrah turning up for their state team, based off the BCCI dictat.

Bevab

Staff Member
I’m sure it benefits the Indian team to have Rohit or Kohli miss out on Indian games and turn up for Mumbai and Delhi instead.

Bevab

Staff Member

If you’re talking about Rohit calling them out for a lack of hunger… he didn’t really. The headlines sensationalised it as is par with our media. The full quote states him saying players both in and out of the squad have hunger for test cricket but that wouldn’t be a juicy, controversial headline would it?

The way Kishan has been handled is very weird and both sides seem to be at fault here. Kishan was our first choice keeper heading into the Proteas series but he opted to take a mental break. Since then he’s been called out for not playing domestic games… which runs contrary to the idea of him wanting a break? There was a rumour that he was skipping on them to party (again this is fine given that he is on a break, people do different things on their personal time off) and to prepare for the IPL with the Pandya brothers. I don’t know if that is true but we do have some verifiable facts out there which are:

• Krunal hasn’t played any official cricket since November. I’m assuming he got injured since he is Baroda’s captain and wouldn’t be missing out on VHT.
  • Hardik hasn’t played cricket since the WC injury until the DY Patil tournament appearance yesterday. He could have potentially played in the quarter final happening now but that’s again a big assumption on him being fit enough to play a four day game and returning earlier to do so. He hasn’t played a FC game since 2018 either which means him playing in it out of the blue would mean pushing out someone who’s been playing regularly.
  • Kishan didn’t play in the Duleep Trophy and opted out himself without a particular reason (unofficial word is that the BCCI preferred him to do some separate training instead but that does make no sense). He played in West Indies after that. He would have played in South Africa if he didn’t pull out. I don’t think it’s unfair for the BCCI to control the playing time and appearances of a centrally contracted player, that contract is meant for it. Equally I do think the boomer like populist comments from Shah don’t help. He’ll now play in the same local league Hardik is playing.

You do have players that mostly play only white ball games in the domestic scene. Krunal is one himself, he had only one Ranji game to his name for a long time until he was given captaincy and played an entire season. Shahrukh Khan has only played in eleven Ranji games despite debuting in 2018. I would like to see a more formal acceptance of it like you mention though instead of it just being an unspoken gentleman’s agreement just so we can avoid more populist comments that pander to our fanbase by throwing players under the bus.
Post automatically merged:

Who spoke anything about missing Indian games?

If you want multi-format players to participate in domestic league games then I don’t see how that is compatible with their international calendar.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
If you want multi-format players to participate in domestic league games then I don’t see how that is compatible with their international calendar.
So, they are above the game? Early 2000s, agreed the 3rd format wasn't there then, but SRT, VVS ,Dravid, etc used to turn out for their states. By the way, playing a Ranji doesn't mean the player needs to play all 5 days. In the past, BCCI has pulled out players from on-going Ranji games for national duty. Turning out for a match or 2 isn't a big ask.

Furthermore, domestic calendars can be adjusted to ensure these guys play. I still remember, the Challenger Trophy used to be a big draw. The likes of Rohit, etc, can benefit from a few hours of domestic batting to get into the groove before a major torunament. Now, if you factor in pitches, ofcourse, the argument gets nullified. However, getting into the zone is what matters.

Users who are viewing this thread