India Team Discussion

@icyman @Bevab , like I get he has had a wonderful year in cricket but statements like these will never earn him a spot in the Indian side. I have no problem with players not wanting to watch cricket but making statements like when I play we ll see and I ll let you know top 4 and all is bs!

I like a good story, USA is going to dominate world cricket already, would prefer a job in China :p
Ha! I missed this one :) Tbh, I could set you up. After all, I am working in what is essentially a part of China.

@icyman @Bevab , like I get he has had a wonderful year in cricket but statements like these will never earn him a spot in the Indian side. I have no problem with players not wanting to watch cricket but making statements like when I play we ll see and I ll let you know top 4 and all is bs!

As much as I dislike this statement from, couldn't help but wonder- is this on account of a generation change? Either Parag is a part of the current generation that doesn't believe much in playing the sport for longer OR he is genuinely pissed that he was overlooked for the Indian team. A few years in the IPL and he will have made enough moolah to settle down. Perhaps, embark a bit on a globe trotting T20 tour, play in Nepal, upcoming countries and that's it. Mere nobodies like Nitish Rana have hit out at the BCCI in recent times. Doesn't surprise me.

The other way of looking at it being that people like Gambhir and Rohit have stated they weren't interested in watching the CWC 2007 and CWC 2011 after they hade been dropped. However, point of difference being that these statements were made after they had established themselves in the Indian line up. Making statements is alright, but make them at the right time with the right words :)

Don’t really think there’s a lot to it, plenty of sports people don’t really follow their sport actively and consider it as a mere job.

It makes sense though. When he's not playing the tournament, he can choose to ignore watching it as he isn't a part of it. It would matter to him if he was part of it. He is just being honest.

These statements would not have been made by earlier generations (as icyman points out to) because they would fear backlash from BCCI and a negative impact on their chances to play for the national team which was the only high intensity cricket available back then that brought fame and big money. But today with the IPL having opened up opportunities for them to play high intensity cricket that brings them as much fame and big money as playing for the national team, they are getting fearless. There is going to be a whole of cricketers in the coming generation who ply their trade only in IPL and they will be satisfied with it and retire happily when their time comes.

Indian Head Coach- seems Gambhir has some competition in WV Raman. Some media outlets also claiming the entry of a foreign candidate, who would be interviewed later today. Among foreign names, the only ones I can think of are Tom Moody and Mike Hesson. Moody has been unsuccessful in his applications over the last few years, but can be a good choice for the team, given his vast experience. Mike Hesson- feel he should have taken over last time round, but guess fate has its own directions.

Yeah Parag shocked the India media for sure with his statement about not watching the world cup

Yeah, he's checking out Ananya Pandey and Sara Ali Khan. That way atleast half of his attention is on the grandchild of a former India captain! :laughter:

Indian Head Coach- seems Gambhir has some competition in WV Raman
I wouldn't mind taking a punt on Gambhir. He appears to be a no-nonsense guy who, I feel, will not be afraid to take controversial/debatable decisions with respect to team combinations. On the other hand, I also feel that with Gambhir in charge, there wouldn't be a middle ground. It will eitther work nicely or not work at all.

Dravid has been a disappointment. He is best suited for preparing the player pool from the U19s team.

Been hearing some reports that WV Raman and Gambhir may split roles. The CAC is impressed with both and there's a likelihood that Raman might be in charge of the Red Ball setup whereas Gambhir manages the limited overs one.

Been hearing some reports that WV Raman and Gambhir may split roles. The CAC is impressed with both and there's a likelihood that Raman might be in charge of the Red Ball setup whereas Gambhir manages the limited overs one.
Dual coaches are never good imo. The ideology differs and that causes a lot of problem. This unless they have completely different 15 for tests compared to limited overs which in our case wont be. Could work in a setup like England where test players majority are not part of limited overs

Dual coaches are never good imo. The ideology differs and that causes a lot of problem. This unless they have completely different 15 for tests compared to limited overs which in our case wont be. Could work in a setup like England where test players majority are not part of limited overs

With the amount of cricket they play, dual coaches are ‘inevitable’. Dravid got lot of flak for taking frequent breaks during his tenure but people have families and 10 months on the road per year, is a LOT!!

They are really talking about different teams across red and white ball formats. This could work. Even if it starts off wrong, it has to be persisted with.

Moving this reply to this thread as its apt!

What a class act from India team to wear black arm bands for not really a known player

@cricfan123 - David Johnson is an Indian test player. He has played 2 test matches in 1996, and made his debut in the first ever BGT that kickstarted in 1996 under Sachin's captaincy (the famous game where Mongia scored 152). He also played that infamous India vs South Africa test in Durban in 1996 where India got all out for 66 (a pathetic low score back then).

Sad to hear about his demise (and sadder to hear that its a suicide, if reports are true). May his soul rest in peace!

Users who are viewing this thread