India Team Discussion

Jay Shah is a attention seeker for sure guys I hust saw him celebrating on the india tour bus on the victory parade

More than celebrations, I sense relief on the faces on the Indian team. Perhaps Jay Shah himself included. This team (s) has been at it for a lot many years and has failed at the final hurdle every time. I think they do deserve their celebrations, no matter how many social media warriors tend to brand this as 'over the top'. Let them bask in it!

I am sure South Africa too, will have a similar wave of emotions when they win their 1st World Cup.

Not only him, its basically every other person (incl me)

Well for me Shreyas Iyer has a lot to offer for India cricket yet and he can play at least another 7 years

Where is Saroj? He must be immensely happy with this selection since he was a huge GG fan. This is either going to be awesome or a disaster. Time will tell. Welcome Gauti onboard!

With him as the coach, Virat and Rohit still playing ODI's and Tests, we will see how his approach changes now that he is in a coaching position and not mentorship.

Feel the same way. Boom or bust. GG is a no nonsense guy, pretty similar to Kumble. We all know what happened to him but I guess GG will be more difficult to topple.
Plus he has the blessing from so "non-interfering ruling party".

My worry on Gambhir is, the age gap between him and the two senior pros of the ODI and test team (Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli) is very small, as compared to Rahul Dravid. We have already seen run-ins between Kohli and Gambhir in IPL's. What is the dynamic going to be, in tests and ODIs? I agree with those who say that Gambhir can either be boom or bust. I dont see him take a middle ground (being average or behind the scenes).

I would personally hope that whoever is the new full time captain of the T20 team, should also assume captaincy of the ODI team immediately after the Champions Trophy 2025. That will give the new captain 2 full years to build/prepare the side for the ODI World Cup in 2027 along with Gambhir. Similarly Rohit Sharma should be phased out as captain in tests post the completion of the WTC final. That way, the chances of conflicts can be minimized as much as possible.

My worry on Gambhir is, the age gap between him and the two senior pros of the ODI and test team (Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli) is very small, as compared to Rahul Dravid. We have already seen run-ins between Kohli and Gambhir in IPL's. What is the dynamic going to be, in tests and ODIs? I agree with those who say that Gambhir can either be boom or bust. I dont see him take a middle ground (being average or behind the scenes).

I would personally hope that whoever is the new full time captain of the T20 team, should also assume captaincy of the ODI team immediately after the Champions Trophy 2025. That will give the new captain 2 full years to build/prepare the side for the ODI World Cup in 2027 along with Gambhir. Similarly Rohit Sharma should be phased out as captain in tests post the completion of the WTC final. That way, the chances of conflicts can be minimized as much as possible.
I can easily see Rohit and Virat retiring after CT 2025. They are not lasting till 2027 so you are correct, new captain post CT2025 in ODI's as well. I also see Rohit calling it post WTC. Kohli with his fitness has 2 more years in Test Cricket.

I see Shreyas or Bumrah taking over the role full time post WTC.

Gambhir will get in a team to manage his workload. If I am not mistaken, Abhishek Nayar will come in either as batting/ Assistant Coach.

Furthermore, the gap between the 2 shouldn't be a concern. Rohit has shown that he acts well around the likes of Zaheer and Mahela in MI, MSD and Fleming have done well too. there's no reason why he shouldn't get along well with Gambhir. In 2011, we had Kirsten who had played alongside SRT at one point in time.

The major issue is the Kohli v Gambhir scenario. Virat needs to give the coach respect here. He ought to know that he is at the fag end of his career and should only concentrate on the longer format. The way the game is changing plus the way he has been batting doesn't evoke confidence/ excitement in the shorter formats of the game.

As for the captain, I agree with @WubbaLubbaDubDub -either Shreyas of Jasprit will take over full time. Rohit will probably step aside after the Tests vs Australia later this year. Personally, I have never been fond of Rohit, the test captain and still feel that India needs a better head when it comes to this format. Anyhow, am looking forth to seeing how Gambhir re-designs the 3 sides and whether we can simultaneously dominate in all formats or not.

Users who are viewing this thread