Story (05)A coach,2005 and beyond

bladescape

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
When he came from Australia as a professional coach,Samuel McDonnell looked for a coaching position for a national team for three years.

Now in 2005 he has been offered a contract by three countries after he coached Lancs into a win in the county champs.
Of these three countries one is struggling to gain it's supremacy again,one is coming from the top three and is trying to topple Australia and one is in the middle of the world cricket table trying to rise to the top.

Which will he chose????

Safrica.

NZ touring SA:
1st Test:
day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
2nd Test:
day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
3rd Test:
day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
1st ODI:
part 1
part 2
2nd ODI:
part 1
part 2
3rd ODI:
part 1
part 2

SA touring Aus:
Warm-up:
game
1st Test:
day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
2nd Test:
day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
3rd Test:
day 1
day 2

Last edited:

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Sent you a PM, I'm pretty confident with 1 or 2.

It's a good start and I hope you can keep this going. Looking forward to seeing who he chooses to manage at International level.

gutterman

International Cricketer
ive sent mine i just took a guess at all of them but i think i got at least one

bladescape

Club Cricketer
A bit slow at updating this,sorry.

The three nations were:South Africa,India and The West Indies.

Samuel's diliberation was long and hard.
He dismissed first India's proposal because of the public pressure there.
:p

In the end He chose South Africa,with new players coming through it is very talented and it still has a few oldies with class!:D
First tour he will take is a tour of New Zealand.
Down on it's luck and relying on veterans they are in a little trouble.

Oh and by the way,No one guessed my teams:p

Last edited:

gutterman

International Cricketer
i have a feeling you will bring south africa to number 1. good luck mate

bladescape

Club Cricketer
First Day As Coach:

I first went to the selectors to chose the 15 to be thought about for places in the final XI.
They were very encouraging and they worked with me rather then getting set on certain 15's.
It ended up being a tough job to chose just 15 from a talented group from the domestic scene.
A few players would be inconseivable to leave out,so I chose the definate inclusions first.
They were:
Greame Smith
Jaques Kallis
Shaun Pollock
Lance Klusener

Then I set about chosing the other 11 players to be a part of the preliminary squad:
Herscelle Gibbs I chose after a bit of deliberation but he was such a good player that I had to give him a chance.
Neil McKenzie was also a likely choice and I couldn't drop him on a wim,I'd have to get a look at him.
Young A.B.De Villiers is a very young talent,but with Boucher injured I'm willing to give him a go.
Nicky Boje,A part time left arm orthadox spinner who had played quite a bit for SA before this.
Hashim Amla was a real gamble,a player who has so far been unable to really break through into the test scene.
Dale Steyn is a real Talent but out of three tests so far he has not impressed,I'll be hoping to turn that around.
Makhaya Ntini,Now this is the real work horse,he is obviosly being the front of the pace attack in all likelyness.
David Terbrugge was an interesting choice,not much favoured by the last coach,I was willing to let him have a go.
Quinton Friend,my wild card let us just say!:p
J.P.Duminy,an interesting talent,cool headed and very good.
Martin van Jaarsaveld is a veteran in the first class scene,not likely to make it into the first XI because he lacks the talent a lot of the others have.
Jaques Rudolph is the extra there which just might make it.

A 16th would have been Ashwell Prince,but for the fact that he was injured and unable to be selected.:(

gutterman

International Cricketer
interesting to see no Andre Nel or Charl Langeveldt

bladescape

Club Cricketer
I forgot to say that Nel was also injured!

I was hit by an injury crisis!!!

bladescape

Club Cricketer
Oops,I just realised I had 16 in my preliminary squad!!

UPDATE

A choice between 16 talented individuals was tough.
Friend was my first omision and Van Jaarsaveld was my second,they just didn't cut it above the others.
Rudolph I omited after a lot of thought,and Duminy because I thought he needed just a little more practise at domestic level.
My final twelve were:

In batting order:
Smith
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
McKenzie
De Villiers
Klusener
Pollock
Steyn
Terbrugge
Ntini
12th man:Boje

Last edited:

bladescape

Club Cricketer
First Day:

We lost the toss and were sent in to field by Fleming.
The NZ openers,Fleming and Papps,made the're way out.
Ntini was given they new ball and Steyn was the other Opening bowler.
They started slowly and surely,except for a widish ball by Steyn in his first over which Fleming flashed for four,and they were so slow there were 20 dot balls in a row,the pressure built up and Papps in perticular couldn't find anything to hit,in the seventh over Ntini bowled a straighter ball at the stumps and caught Papps dead in front to set up the scoreboard saying 1-9!!

Micheal Papps,lbw Ntini for 4 off 22 deliveries.
Stephen Fleming,not out for 5 off 15 deliveries with 1 four.

McMillan came out with a desire to get the score moving and slashed one allmighty four.
The score started ticking and the feild was starting to be pushed back when Steyn got into the action with a brutal Yorker to clean up McMillan at 2-27.

Craig McMillan,bowled Steyn for 12 off 18 deliveries with 1 four.
Stephen Fleming,not out for 10 off 19 deliveries with 2 fours.

Oram strides to the crease now,a powerful and aggresive batsman.
Steyn stayes over the wicket and first ball swings one in a touch and strikes him on the pads,the umpire gives him out but I have a feeling it was going down leg.
Still,a wickets a wicket,Eh?;):p(Now Steyn's on a hattrick with the score at 3-27!)

Jacob Oram,lbw Steyn for 0 off 1 delivery.
Stephen Fleming,not out for 10 off 19 deliveries with 2 fours.

Sinclair comes out to face the music and proceeds to easily navigate the hattrick ball.
He and Fleming then see through Steyn and Ntini till they have both finished their 7 overs.
Terbrugge comes on and then gives Sinclair a heart in mouth moment when the ball just misses the outside edge and almost crashes into off stump!
Shaun Pollock also gave them trouble as he has a very close lbw appeal against Fleming turned down,I am pretty sure it landed down leg and Shaun did'nt seem to annoyed.
Sinclair then seems to decide to hit Terbrugge out of the attack but only seems able to spoon it to Gibbs,NZ in real trouble at 4-47.

Matthew Sinclair,caught Gibbs bowled Terbrugge for 12 off 20 deliveries with 2 fours.
Stephen Fleming,not out for 17 off 38 deliveries with 3 fours.

With everyone falling around Fleming,Nathan Astle comes out.
A sweet cover drive by Fleming next over sets the pace as neither look in trouble against Terbrugge and Pollock.(only most of the time.)
They go on to start the forming of a parternership when Pollock gets one to straighten slightly and there was a big appeal for lbw against Fleming.
But it was not to be as the umpire turns it down again,this one looked closer then the first one and Shaun Pollock looked a little bit annoyed.
Some sweet strokes as they go through till lunch without a second thought or a second chance!
Pollock ate something good for lunch and got one to kick in the first over and Fleming finally went by knocking it straight to the hands of short leg at 5-96.

Stephen Fleming,caught Amla bowled Pollock for 43 off 96 deliveries with 6 fours.
Nathan Astle,not out for 19 off 37 deliveries with 2 fours.

Peter Fulton being the new man in,Pollock greeted him with a bouncer,and Fulton greeted back with a hook for four!
They continue in a fashion till Klusener and Kallis were brought into the attack.(Kallis five overs after Klusener)
The first ball Klusener bowled after Kallis was brought on at the other end was an allmighty swing and a miss by Fulton.
A few more boundaries and then Klusener appealed for lbw against Fulton in his next over,but it was going over the top.
Kallis followed it up with a appeal against Astle for lbw with a yorker but it was going down leg so the umpire said no,another edge off Steyn a few overs later and Astle looked nervous,but then he cruised from then on to a half century.

Nathan Astle 52* off 115 balls.

They then last until tea but just before the tea break Fulton edged wide of Pollock who dived to his right and just got his fingers to it but couldn't take the catch.
After the break the batsman played some brilliant strokes until Terbrugge came on and went around the wicket to the right handers.
This desperate tactic worked as Terbrugge bowled Fulton at 6-190.

Peter Fulton,bowled Terbrugge for 43 off 82 deliveries with 5 fours.
Nathan Astle,not out for 70 off 144 deliveries with 7 fours.

McCullum,the aggresive New Zealand wicket-keeper batsman,was the next one in.
Pollock was brought back into the attack and immediattely claim Astle at 7-198.

Nathan Astle,bowled Pollock for 74 off 152 deliveries with 8 fours.
Brendan McCullum,not out for 4 off 10 deliveries with 1 four.

Franklin came as South Africa finally broke into the 'tail'.
Franklin and McCullem brougth NZ over the 200 mark and away but Kallis had Franklin knick to De Villiers behind the stumps.

But He JUST put it down,a dropped chance and Franklin decided to take to the bowlers.
Until Steyn got stuck into him with consecutive bouncers to quiten him up,hurting him too by the reports.
Then the last ball of the same over Steyn nipped one back in and got the lbw against Franklin making them 8-233.

James Franklin,lbw Steyn for 13 off 46 deliveries with 2 fours.
Brendan McCullem,not out for 24 off 36 with 4 fours.

Gillespie came in with the orders to slog,and slog he did.
He started with a slog back over Steyn's head for four.
The new ball changed the complextion of the contest with a play and a miss for Gillespie off Steyn's first and last balls of the first over.
Ntini was brought on a few overs later with a seven over old ball and got McCullum caught at slip at 9-262.

Brendan McCullum,caught Smith bowled Ntini for 30 off 59 deliveries with 4 fours.
Mark Gillespie,not out for 23 off 33 deliveries with 4 fours.

At nine down SA were thinking about a little bat before stumps.
They got it with O'Brien going 19 minutes before stumps,New Zealand all out for 268.

Bowling:
Makhaya Ntini ,13 overs,2 maidens,42 runs,3 wickets at 3.23 an over and 14 per wicket.
Dale Steyn ,21 overs,2 maidens,71 runs,3 wickets at 3.38 an over and 23.66 per wicket.
David Terbrugge ,14 overs,1 maidens,53 runs,2 wickets at 3.79 an over and 26.5 per wicket.
Shaun Pollock ,17 overs,2 maidens,47 runs,2 wickets at 2.76 an over and 23.5 per wicket.
Lance Klusener ,9 overs ,2 maidens,20 runs,0 wickets at 2.22 an over.
Jaques Kallis ,13 overs,1 maidens,32 runs,0 wickets at 2.46 an over.

Smith And Gibbs ended the day easily surviving the one over,an interesting days play in which Steyn and Ntini rewarded me for my confidence in them!
Scorecard:

Attachments

• NZe.JPG
    NZe.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 49

bladescape

Club Cricketer
Second Day:

After surviving last night,Smith and Gibbsmade their way out with the New Zealand fieldsman.
A solid 50 parternership put down a stamp of authority,but Gibbs almost let it go when he was dropped by second slip for 24.
After that Greame Smith put his foot down and any loose deliveries were summerily thumped to the boundary.
Soon enough he flicked the ball away to bring up his fifty.

Greame Smith,50* off 85 deliveries.

However while he was very comfortable against every bowler so far,as soon as Franklin was brought in he made Smith play and miss twice as well as had a lbw appeal turned down,it looked quite plumb too,except it might just have been a bit too high.
Gibbs had looked shaky since he was put down,and found it hard to get runs,he finally pushed through to his half century.
Just after lunch.

Herschelle Gibbs,50* off 131 deliveries.

Next thing we know after a good knock Franklin bowled a really viscious bouncer whichsmashed into Smith's ribs,he went off injured.
A sad loss.

Greame Smith,retired hurt for 88 off 137 deliveries with 13 fours.
Herschelle Gibbs,not out for 59 off 150 deliveries with 5 fours.

Hashim Amla strode out to face the music.
Gibbs then decided to attack and was more confident with this approuch,though Amla didn't like it after Gibbs run him out at 1-166.

Hashim Amla,run out(Oram) for 6 off 12 deliveries with 1 four.
Herschelle Gibbs,not out for 67 off 158 deliveries with 6 fours.

That meant that Kallis came out, a very welcome appearance because of his skill at this level.
With the tea break looming,Kallis and Gibbs went on the assault,with Gibbs swiftly reaching 99,was dropped and then almost run out before he finally got the single!

Herschelle Gibbs,100* off 210 deliveries.

Which was followed by Kallis's half century.

Jaques Kallis,51* off 73 deliveries.

And then was followed by Gibbs deciding he needed to slog,thereby getting himself bowled.
A really silly shot aswellm,2-276.

Herschelle Gibbs,bowled for 116 off 216 deliveries with 14 fours.
Jaques Kallis,not out for 57 off 79 deliveries with 9 fours.

It was getting late and Kallis decided it was time to attack,and the bowlers were scattered.
He included one huge pull for six to prove it too!
But just two balls after the six he went for another one but the ball stayed low and went straight through him and bowled him,3-294.

Jaques Kallis,bowled Franklin for 71 off 89 with 10 fours and 1 six.
Neil McKenzie,not out for 4 off 10 deliveries.

The New Zealander's had been bowling a bad line and length all day and McKenzie cashed in until Gillespie gave him and extremely good ball.
De Villiers with Klusener now as the wickets seem to start roling,4-346.

Neil McKenzie,c McCullum b Gillespie for 35 off 52 with 4 fours.
A.B.De Villiers,not out for 20 off 46 deliveries with 1 four.

De Villiers doesn't last long as the BlackCaps find their grove.
Klusener now parternered with Pollock,only two more overs today,5-348.

A.B.De Villiers,bowled O'Brien for 21 off 49 deliveries with 1 four.
Lance Klusener,not out for 1 off 2 balls.

A collapse and into the tail,what is wrong with this line up,6-351!!!!

Shaun Pollock,bowled Gillespie for 3 off 4 deliveries.
Lance Klusener,not out for 1 off 2 deliveries.

Klusener too!!!!7-353.

Lance Klusener,bowled O'Brien for 2 off 4 deliveries.
Dale Steyn,not out for 0 off 2 deliveries.

Aggressive start to a fight back by the tail enders but to no avail,8-363!

Dale Steyn,lbw O'Brien for 4 off 4 deliveries with 1 four.
Makhaya Ntini,not out for 5 off 2 deliveries with 1 four.

Terbrugge finally see's them through till the end off play,at the tea break today I was thinking about declaring tomorrow on a 500+ score!!!
A really dissappointing final session,I'm not sure how they did that.:noway

Users who are viewing this thread