10 Greatest One Day Centuries of all time (Multiple selection Options plus Reader's Choice Category)

Reader?s Choice Category Additional list Update (July 2, 2009)

Awesome inputs from Aditya123 and Karnog.

Kudos to Aditya123, Karnog and Amiya ,scion_sid as well for unleashing a wealth of information which I am sure is enriching all and sundry.

These are all goal mines tapped by both of them and also had contributions from Amiya, scion_sid as well.

On behalf of myself and other readers let us give these guys a big hand .

Here is Additional list Update ( July 2, 2009)

Andrew Symonds - 139 against Pakistan, World Cup 2003(Amiya,)
Scion_Sid, karnog).

Sachin Tendulkar - 134 against Australia, Sharjah, 1998(aditya123).

Sourav Ganguly - 183 against Sri Lanka, World Cup 1999 (aditya123, karnog).

Brian Lara - 111 against South Africa , Karachi, World Cup 1996(aditya123).

Inzamam`s - 140 against India, Karachi, 2004(aditya123).

Chris Gayle - 120 against Australia, 2002(karnog).

Brian Lara - 116 against South Africa, Capetown, World Cup 2003(aditya123).

Yuvraj Singh - 139 against Australia ,Sydney, 2003(aditya123, karnog).

I am also enjoying the tug of war between send2yaari, gambino and the rest.

Guys send2yaari is a Brave Heart. He is not to be cowed down easily and I am afraid he is having the last laugh so far (LOL!) .

Gambino is also effectively using his Bulls Eye . He has not spared me either(in a good sense) on Wasim Akram (LOL!). I like his sharp observations and bravery in confronting the barrage of bouncers he receives. But he is intelligent enough to duck or pull it to the boundary/over boundary as appropriate .You will need a teesra to outsmart him(LOL!).

Keep going Gambino and send2yaari. If you have self belief and confidence in what you advocate nobody can unsettle you.

Bottom line - we are a universal family here with readers from different cultural backgrounds and citizens of diversified countries. But the interest or passion is same for all of us ie Cricket. So the arguments and counter arguments we occasionally have should be taken in a light humor.

Beyond this thread we are all mates and buddies of a great cricketing family.

So who is going to unleash the next wave of goldmine?

We are not finished yet. Are we?. Keep going guys.!

Wishing everyone the very best!

Cheers!

Gambino is also effectively using his Bulls Eye . He has not spared me either(in a good sense) on Wasim Akram (LOL!). I like his sharp observations and bravery in confronting the barrage of bouncers he receives. But he is intelligent enough to duck or pull it to the boundary/over boundary as appropriate

:laugh

I'll have to rep you for that part alone.

I have seen most of the innings except Lloyds and richards
top five are

1. Gilchrist in the 2007 world cup final
2. tendulkar in sharjah 1998
3. ponting vs india wc final 2003
4 gibbs vs aus 2006
5. yuvraj vs england 2008

Higher points for matches played in finals or crucial encounters. YUvrajs innings is included because of the sheer brilliance of his hitting in last years match. The cleanest six hitter on his day , even cleaner than some of the all time greats listed below. The most amazing shot was a defensive scoop for six of Flintoff

greatest one day batsmen of all time

1. Tendulkar
2. Richards
3. Gilchrist
4. Jayasuriya
5. ponting

Although there are several destructive batsmen including afridi, yuvraj singh, sehwag they are just not consistent enough

Fleming's world cup 100 is my vote.

Gilchrist, Tendulkar, Gibbs' and Ponting's 100's from robin's post.

Chris Cairns' hundred in the ICC Knockout final we won in 2000 was a fantastic innings.

Last edited:
Sehwag has liking for New Zealand attack and scored a breezy 60 ball century earlier this year against them. But for me the best century that Sehwag has till date is the 100 he got against New Zealand in Auklund in 2003. It was the series in which no Indian batsman reached 100 mark but Sehwag scored 2 centuries. 1 in loosing cause and the other one in 1 run victory which I said above.

India was chasing 180 odd runs and Sehwag scored 112 runs of those. It was match in which India had upper hand till Sehwag was on pitch but when he got out all hell broke loose and in the end Nehra stuck 4 in last over to seal victory for us.

the century was special because all throughout the test matches and odi's India were battling alien conditions which included green and damp pitches. Nobody gave Sehwag any chance of even making 100 runs in series put together due to his lack of footwork and attacking style. But the Nawab of Najafgarh played beautifully. :hpraise

Great Job:ashwinkm, irottev, scion_sid

Invaluable Inputs from ashwinkm , irottev , scion_sid.

The One day Century knocks you mentioned of Yuvraj Singh ,Virendra Sehwag and Chris Cairns are worth its weight in gold and certainly deserves mention by all means and automatic inclusion in The Reader?s Choice Category.

All three Yuvraj Singh, Virendra Sehwag and Chris Cairns are world class One day Masters and cans singularly win games for their teams.

A big hand to ashwinkm , irottev , scion_sid for their excellent contributions.

Here is Additional list Update (July 4, 2009)

Chris Cairns - 102 against India , Nairobi, 2000 (irottev).

Virendra Sehwag - 112 New Zealand, Auckland, 2003(scion_sid).

Virendra Sehwag ? 125* against New Zealand, Hamilton 2009 (scion_sid).

Yuvraj Singh ? 138* against England, Rajkot, 2008(ashwinkm).

So who is going to unearth remaining unknown cricket treasures?

Keep going guys! We want to beat Wisden(LOL!).

You can do it!

Wishing everyone the very best!

Cheers!

this century Chris Cairns - 102 against India , Nairobi, 2000 (irottev). and Afridi's fastest century was on the same ground so now you can know why that century was phenomenal.

this century Chris Cairns - 102 against India , Nairobi, 2000 (irottev). and Afridi's fastest century was on the same ground so now you can know why that century was phenomenal.

Also look at the occassion. Afridi`s knock came in not a huge occassion but Cairns got it on the final of a global event and it remains NZ`s only world title to date.

Also look at the occassion. Afridi`s knock came in not a huge occassion but Cairns got it on the final of a global event and it remains NZ`s only world title to date.

their is nothing big then a first tour for a young guy.

Saeed Anwar's 194 at Chennai was an awesome knock. I watched the game from the stadium. He just looked invincible that day. Rahul Dravid hit 107 in the same game iirc. Good effort in a losing cause.

But, I vote for Sourav Ganguly's 183 against Lanka in the 1999 WC. Muralitharan was at his best in the late 90s and the SL side also had the services of a not-so-old Vaas who was one among the best economical bowlers at that time. Both those bowlers played together in the game. Ganguly hit some towering sixes in that game straight down the ground. Only innings that I remember well even now. So, I will vote for that innings.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65213.html

Last edited:
Tbh Dravid was more classy and more fluent throughout the innings than Ganguly was. Ganguly opened his shoulders after reaching century. The sad thing about Dravid's big knocks has been that limelight has been taken away by either Ganguly or Tendulkar in those innings.

Um Howsie, the ground met at least the minimum boundary distance set by the ICC, and New Zealand grounds are never above those minimum boundary distances (from the pitch).

So yes, saying Afridi's 100 off 37 balls is a "joke" is ridiculous to say, unless every century scored in New Zealand is a joke as well.

Afridi was facing Murali in that innings as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread