2008 African Cup of Nations

Ghana nicked the first game in the last minute, 2-1 over Guinea, Sully Muntari of Portsmouth scoring a screamer. An important win for them as it could make progressing to the next round so much easier.

Carn Sulley Muntari! How Ghana didn't score at least 3 in the first half is beyond me. They were brilliant at creating chances but a combinationof bad finishing and bad luck - 3 struck posts - stopped them. Guinea put up a great fight but Ghana deserved the win.

Ghana for the Cup. As far as I'm concerned, it's between them, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Cameroon, to an extent, and Nigeria.

Angola will win, Manucho will get the golden boot. Big match tonight, should be good too with Yaya Toure spending the entire game convincing Drogba to go to Barca and Martins getting shot at by the crowd.

The Afrian countries are fairly even and inconsistent so it's tough to pick a winner. More than half the teams in the tournament could easily win it.

The winner wil most likely come from these countries:

Ghana
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Senegal
South Africa
Tunisa

But you can't count out other nations like Momo Sissoko's and Fredi Kanoute's Mali. It's a really hard tournament to predict.

My money is on the Ivory Coast. I simply can't go past a squad that contains the likes of Emmanuel Eboue, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Didier Zokora, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Arouna Kone and Boubacar Sanogo.

Today's games:

Namibia 1-5 Morocco

Soufiane Alloudi did exactly what his coach would have wanted, killed the game early. He got a hattrick in only 18 minutes, and at half time 4-1 up the game was won. It could have been the biggest win in the African Cup of Nations if they won 7-1 or higher, which looked like a real possibility.

Nigeria 0-0 C?te d'Ivoire (HT)

Other than the incident with Jon Obi Mikel being stamped on, very little happened in the first half. I expect it will finish in a draw, but C?te d'Ivoire could sneak in the last few minutes and snatch it.

Mali v Benin

Mali all the way for me. They will have been pleased with getting Benin first, I don't think they will cause much trouble for them. They have some high profile players too.

Chelsea fans must be annoyed. Solomon Kalou has shown outstanding ability to get through the defence and score a brilliant goal. He hasn't done that for the blues before!

The Nigerian defence should be ashamed of themselves. One defender out of four put in a proper challenge. Anyway, I always expected Ivory Coast to win. The squad speaks for itself.

I had doubts over their keeper but he did ok today. Keitas crap though, no end product and got only 1 foot. Looking forward to Angola-Saffas now on Wednesday.

Nigeria 0-1 C?te d'Ivoire

The goal I mentioned, Solomon Kalou's self made skills show, was the one that did for Nigeria, and with Mali in the group they will struggle to go through now.

Mali 1-0 Benin

The worst result Nigeria could have had. Mali were not as dominant as I thought they would be but Benin were organised.

After the first games in Group B, I think the table will end like this:

1. C?te d'Ivoire
2. Mali
3. Nigeria
4. Benin

Benin were never going through for me, Nigeria are the favourites to be knocked out after losing their first game.

It seems like Momo Sissoko is out of favour with the National team as well. He was an unused sub in Mali's opening game against Benin.

I gather that the Mali coach doesn't want to play two holding midfielders in Diarra and Momo at the same time. Momo might get his chance against Ivory Coast though.

Egypt is busy destroying Cameroon, Makoun was subbed before HT presumably with an injury - not quite sure, doing homework, listening to music and watching at the same time ;)

Zidan has been awesome, he's been creating chances and scoring goals at will. Who said the Bundesliga doesn't have good players :p

Tunisia is my life. TUnisiaaaaaaaaa

OHH man greatest cup ever after Euro.

Zambia VS Tunisia final!!

The Afrian countries are fairly even and inconsistent so it's tough to pick a winner. More than half the teams in the tournament could easily win it.

The winner wil most likely come from these countries:

Ghana
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Senegal
South Africa
Tunisa

But you can't count out other nations like Momo Sissoko's and Fredi Kanoute's Mali. It's a really hard tournament to predict.

My money is on the Ivory Coast. I simply can't go past a squad that contains the likes of Emmanuel Eboue, Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure, Didier Zokora, Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalou, Arouna Kone and Boubacar Sanogo.

Egypt are favs if i'm not wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread