IPL 2nd Semi: Chennai Super Kings v Royal Challengers Bangalore

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
RCB have done well in recent past, though CSK is a very strong team,anything any happen in 20-20 game,Kumble has done well as a captain,he is getting wickets and also bowling a good line and is very economical.. If hayden plays that will add worries to RCB,CSK last time were runners-up,they will definitely try to win it here

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This one is for Chennai! I am not just saying this because I am from Chennai, but having Dhoni as captain gives me lots and lots and lots of confidence. This guy brings with him a lucky charm. He is brave, and that he brings in the luck required. I expect Hayden and/or Hussey to come back which will strengthen the team immensely. I wish they try out Makhaya Ntini although that would mean not having Murali or Morkel (very tough ones).

RCB have a big task to beat Chennai Super Kings, one of the strongest and the most luckiest teams of the IPL (all editions).

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Chennai should win, but Bangalore have beaten them in the last match they faced each other. And Chennai was full strength then.

naresh091

International Cricketer
Yay Hussey is back.Hopefully he'll play the semis.Dhoni said Albie has an injury.Dont know how serious it is.He too must play imo.
My XI for the semifinal would be,

Hayden
Parthiv
Raina
Badri/Dhoni
Hussey
Dhoni/Badri
Albie Morkel
Ashwin(most probably)/Jakati
Tyagi
Murali
Balaji

Its sad that Bailey and Thushara miss out.They both performed well.That too Bailey was very impressive but to perish due to a run out in both games.He should have carried on imo.It would have been tough to select the XI then.
I would like a Hayden,Bailey opening,but we'll miss out a all rounder then.So this is our best XI I guess.

This one is for Chennai! I am not just saying this because I am from Chennai, but having Dhoni as captain gives me lots and lots and lots of confidence. This guy brings with him a lucky charm. He is brave, and that he brings in the luck required. I expect Hayden and/or Hussey to come back which will strengthen the team immensely. I wish they try out Makhaya Ntini although that would mean not having Murali or Morkel (very tough ones).
Yeah Dhoni has always impressed me by his elegnat and innovative captaincy.
But to be frank.The strategy and captaincy was worse in our batting innings.He just send the right players in the right time.It looked a if we were deliberately trying to lose.Sending in Ashwin before Thushara,picking Oram consistently(he is not at all bowling already.And he hasnt had a good innings apart from a 30 odd in the earlier phase f the tournament).The captaincy was just ridiculous.But when we came to bowl,the whole mindset of the players was different.Thank God we won!

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
Will Hussey really come into the side? I'm not so sure. I don't know what his averages are like, but he doesn't strike me as a Twenty20 player. I find it strange that Dhoni would change a batting unit that has performed very well so far.

Hayden, Parthiv Patel, Raina, Dhoni, Badrinath, Morkel, Oram, Jakati, Tyagi, Muralitharan, Balaji

Funnily enough, the problem is fitting all the quality batsmen into the one side, and putting them in a decent order. Ideally, you would want Morkel and Oram further up the order, but those spots are taken by top players. You also can't really have three big hitting players in a row in the order, so Badrinath has to be placed in the middle to break it up.

Hayden has to be fit. Really need him to be playing. Bailey is good, but he is not in the same class, and will just stupidly run himself out.

Seam attack is also really weak. If the pitch takes spin well, Chennai will win providing their batting plays well. Issues are encountered when the army of spin bowlers available to MS aren't particularly effective. Morkel and Tyagi are possibly the worst opening pair of pacemen in the entire competition. Like one of the posters above, I would be tempted to try out Ntini (probably in place of Oram, who is offering nothing with the ball, and hasn't fired with the bat). They've had the perfect opportunity to assess him for the past two games, as qualification was more or less ensured. He would add quality to the pace attack.

One question - why has Dhoni started giving the gloves to Parthiv? Very strange.

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
COME ON CHENNAI!

Drop Pantless Patel and give Murali Vijay a go. Unless of course Dhoni is taking it easy on his back or something.

naresh091

International Cricketer
Will Hussey really come into the side? I'm not so sure. I don't know what his averages are like, but he doesn't strike me as a Twenty20 player. I find it strange that Dhoni would change a batting unit that has performed very well so far.

Hayden, Parthiv Patel, Raina, Dhoni, Badrinath, Morkel, Oram, Jakati, Tyagi, Muralitharan, Balaji

Funnily enough, the problem is fitting all the quality batsmen into the one side, and putting them in a decent order. Ideally, you would want Morkel and Oram further up the order, but those spots are taken by top players. You also can't really have three big hitting players in a row in the order, so Badrinath has to be placed in the middle to break it up.

Hayden has to be fit. Really need him to be playing. Bailey is good, but he is not in the same class, and will just stupidly run himself out.

Seam attack is also really weak. If the pitch takes spin well, Chennai will win providing their batting plays well. Issues are encountered when the army of spin bowlers available to MS aren't particularly effective. Morkel and Tyagi are possibly the worst opening pair of pacemen in the entire competition.

One question - why has Dhoni started giving the gloves to Parthiv? Very strange.
Oram hasnt convinced me at all,either with his batting or his bowling.Hes been really poor in this tournament.We can easily replace him with Hussey.Remember Hussey scored the only century of CSK.Hussey will definitely play imo.Otherwise why should he travel all the way to witness two games from the dressing room.Morkel and Tyagi might not be popular opening bowlers.But they have made the job of taking early wickets,everytime they were out there to bowl.Albie is having a injury it seems.I dont know how better is Hayden.They both must play in the knock out stages.They are our assets.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
I'd just love to see Ntini play in place of Oram (edited the original post to fit that in). OK, the batting is weakened, but bowlers win you games. And if it strengthens the pace attack then the problems that can be encountered on a pitch that doesn't turn can be reduced.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
It seems Dhoni is finding it easier on his body to not stay behind the stumps.

Dhoni hasnt bowled Oram at all in the last two games. Oram hasnt been a huge contributor with the bat. So I guess Ntini could be drafted in and we can have Ntini and Morkel to open the bowling (two SA players!). But we got to give up either Hayden or Hussey (we need Hayden, so we got to give up Hussey). They wont drop Murali for sure coz the spinners have been doing extremely well in this tournament.

It will be a tough pick for CSK for the semis. Hope they have the right team to win the match.

naresh091

International Cricketer
I want Hussey in place of Oram.We must have tried Ntini earlie,.Atleast in the game against KXIP.
Hussey will bolster the weak middle order.Albie too must comeback.Our bowling is quite good.Our middle order is the issue.We need powerful hitters down the order.

naresh091 added 37 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Originally said by Dhoni
Albie Morkel and Badrinath had niggles and they didn't needed to be rested. We could have played them. We played Badri because we thought out batting would weaken if he is not there. Hayden will be fine. The physio has said so. We could have pushed him to play this match but it is good to have him for the semifinals.
So now its pretty evident that Albie and Hayden will play tomorrow.So now the only prevailing doubt is who will play in Oram's place? I personally wish it is Hussey.Hes back from a break and is really fresh.And any team would want a perfect finisher like him in the XI.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
So from the previous match, the replacements will be Hayden for Bailey, Hussey for Oram and Morkel for Thushara. I think Ashwin might continue seeing the way he bowled against Punjab. Ntini looks doubtful unless Dhoni decides to keep Murali out which is highly IMPOSSIBLE!

vickyrox

Club Captain
I want bangalore to win
Their line-up should be like this:
Kallis(if fit)/ryder
pandey
dravid
taylor
uthhapa/goswami(they should surely gve this youngster a chance ...)
kohli
boucher
r.van der merwe
p.kumar
a.kumble
b.akhil

naresh091

International Cricketer
Vander Merwe and Taylor are the dangermen at the moment.If Dravid too joins them,RCB will be a tough team to beat.

stefan

International Coach
I'd just love to see Ntini play in place of Oram (edited the original post to fit that in). OK, the batting is weakened, but bowlers win you games. And if it strengthens the pace attack then the problems that can be encountered on a pitch that doesn't turn can be reduced.

On current form Ntini would be a massive risk. Got smashed in the limited overs stuff for SA vs aus. Would be a massive risk playing him in this game.

Users who are viewing this thread