Draft: 90s England Draft - It's Richard Blakey time

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just in case it got lost in all that Mark Butcher-related discussion yesterday, @Yash. has the next pick

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
1. :eng: :bat: Michael Vaughan
2. :eng: :wkb: Alec Stewart
3.:eng: :bat: Ali Brown
4. :eng: :bat: Graham Thorpe
6.:eng: :bat: Allan Wells
7. :eng: :wk: Steve Rhodes
8. :eng: :ar: Dominic Cork
9.:eng: :bwl: Neil Foster
10. :eng: :bwl: Mark Ilott
11. :eng: :bwl: Peter Such

@ahmedleo414

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
1. :eng: :bat: Michael Vaughan
2. :eng: :wkb: Alec Stewart
3.:eng: :bat: Ali Brown
4. :eng: :bat: Graham Thorpe
6.:eng: :bat: Allan Wells
7. :eng: :wk: Steve Rhodes
8. :eng: :ar: Dominic Cork
9.:eng: :bwl: Neil Foster
10. :eng: :bwl: Mark Ilott
11. :eng: :bwl: Peter Such

@ahmedleo414

I think that’s probably invalid, since Ali Brown never played a test? Though he played ODI so he may be ok.

I mean he should have played a test, 100% should have got a chance.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
My other pick Peter Martin

016031.jpg

Stats||Matches||Runs||HS||:bat: Ave||100s/50s
First-Class | |259| |15,266| |312| |37.50| |38/72
Test | |3| |74| |28| |12.33| |0/0

A bit of his bio from circinfo:

"Born and raised in Australia, Jason Gallian captained Australian Young Cricketers against England in 1989-90 but subsequently moved to England and signed for Lancashire. At his best, Gallian is a class batsman - he has been described as a slimmed-down Mike Gatting - and in the period before he qualified for England in 1994, a decent international career was considered a virtual certainty. But he was dogged by ill-luck and inconsistency. His Test debut in 1995 was on a minefield at Birmingham where West Indies' fast bowlers blew England away in a little over two days, Gallian collecting a fractured finger in his first innings. He returned for the final Test at The Oval as a makeshift opener, and did enough to go with England to South Africa that winter. He played his third and final Test at Port Elizabeth where Christopher Martin-Jenkins wrote that he "confirmed his character if not his unarguable Test quality". He continued to score consistently for Lancashire - in 1996 he hammered 312 against Derbyshire, the highest score at Old Trafford - but grew increasingly disenchanted and moved to Nottinghamshire in pursuit of new challenges at the end of the following season. He was subsequently appointed their captain but continued to be dogged by injury - he missed almost all 2001 after undergoing knee surgery and then breaking a knuckle in his first match back. Following one year back in the ranks, he was reappointed captain of Nottinghamshire in 2004. However, after a fractious relationship with Kevin Pietersen amongst others he was replaced by Stephen Fleming for the 2005 season, a decision that he did not take too well initially. He still topped 1000-runs that season as Nottinghamshire won the Championship."

1. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton
  2. :eng: :bat: Hugh Morris
  3. :eng: :bat: Peter Martin
  4. :eng: :bat: Nasser Hussain
  5. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff
  6. :eng: :wkb: John Crawley
  7. :eng: :ar: Mark Ealham
  8. :eng: :ar: John Emburey
  9. :eng: :bwl: Martin Bicknell
  10. ?
  11. :eng: :bwl: Allan Mullally
@Dale88 you got next

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
My other pick Peter Martin

1314096776_jason-gallian.jpg

Stats||Matches||Runs||HS||:bat: Ave||100s/50s
First-Class | |259| |15,266| |312| |37.50| |38/72
Test | |3| |74| |28| |12.33| |0/0

A bit of his bio from circinfo:

"Born and raised in Australia, Jason Gallian captained Australian Young Cricketers against England in 1989-90 but subsequently moved to England and signed for Lancashire. At his best, Gallian is a class batsman - he has been described as a slimmed-down Mike Gatting - and in the period before he qualified for England in 1994, a decent international career was considered a virtual certainty. But he was dogged by ill-luck and inconsistency. His Test debut in 1995 was on a minefield at Birmingham where West Indies' fast bowlers blew England away in a little over two days, Gallian collecting a fractured finger in his first innings. He returned for the final Test at The Oval as a makeshift opener, and did enough to go with England to South Africa that winter. He played his third and final Test at Port Elizabeth where Christopher Martin-Jenkins wrote that he "confirmed his character if not his unarguable Test quality". He continued to score consistently for Lancashire - in 1996 he hammered 312 against Derbyshire, the highest score at Old Trafford - but grew increasingly disenchanted and moved to Nottinghamshire in pursuit of new challenges at the end of the following season. He was subsequently appointed their captain but continued to be dogged by injury - he missed almost all 2001 after undergoing knee surgery and then breaking a knuckle in his first match back. Following one year back in the ranks, he was reappointed captain of Nottinghamshire in 2004. However, after a fractious relationship with Kevin Pietersen amongst others he was replaced by Stephen Fleming for the 2005 season, a decision that he did not take too well initially. He still topped 1000-runs that season as Nottinghamshire won the Championship."

1. :eng: :bat: Michael Atherton
  2. :eng: :bat: Hugh Morris
  3. :eng: :bat: Peter Martin
  4. :eng: :bat: Nasser Hussain
  5. :eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff
  6. :eng: :wkb: John Crawley
  7. :eng: :ar: Mark Ealham
  8. :eng: :ar: John Emburey
  9. :eng: :bwl: Martin Bicknell
  10. ?
  11. :eng: :bwl: Allan Mullally
@Dale88 you got next

youve said Peter Martin but the pic and profile and batting order is all Jason Gallian?

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
1.:eng: Ned Larkins:bat:
2.:eng: Jason Gallian:bat:
3.:eng: Allan Lamb:bat:
4.:eng: Neil Fairbrother:bat:
5.:eng: Ian Botham :ar:
6.:eng: Ronnie Irani :ar:
7.:eng: Jack Russell:wkb:
8.:eng: Eddie Hemmings:bwl:
9.:eng: Syd Lawrence:bwl:
10.:eng: Gladstone Small:bwl:
11.:eng: Andy Caddick:bwl:

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Picked purely because I needed an opener and he opened twice. Averaged 13 while doing so but that's no where near this sides main issue. You'll do for me, son.

@ahmedleo414

Aislabie

Ireland
Okay so I'm now a little confused who actually has Jason Gallian and who has Peter Martin

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I’d guess he wanted Gallian, and Martin was gonna be his last pick.

It blows my mind that of all the people in the draft we end up with fisticuffs over Jason Gallian.

Aislabie

Ireland
I just went through the available batsmen and took the 1st on that had opened tbh :D
Shame this wasn't a '00s draft or you could have had Ed Smith.

I always rated Steve James, but that's mostly because I liked his book and not anything more than that

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
So yeah, I wanted to pick Jason since I looked and saw @Dale88 had over batsman left, so I wanted to pick Jason first.... But I was doing 4 things at the same time and messed up... So I'll leave it up to @Aislabie to make up the decision and it's totally fair to say @Dale88 should keep him since I messed up and I'll pick someone else

Users who are viewing this thread