Adam Gilchrist's book (merged threads)

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
Not to open a can of worms, but at least I'm not the only one who feels this way.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/10/23/1224351451472.html

Adam Gilchrist said:
In his autobiography, an extract of which appears in tomorrow's Good Weekend, he describes as a "joke" Tendulkar's evidence at an appeal over the episode, in which Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh was accused of calling Andrew Symonds a monkey. He said that when Tendulkar told the initial hearing that he could not hear what was said, he was "certain he was telling the truth" because he was "a fair way away".

But Tendulkar told the appeal that Harbhajan used a Hindi term that sounded like "monkey" to Australian ears. Harbhajan's suspension was quashed, infuriating the Australians

[. . .]

"In the Australian mentality, we play it hard and are then quick to shake hands and leave it all on the field. Some of our opponents don't do it that way. Sachin Tendulkar, for instance, can be hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India. Harbhajan can also be hard to find.

Sachin Tendulkar... one of the most sporting and most honest people in sport, as regarded by some.

At least Gilly, who will and always will have a better track record (sportsmanship wise), and widely respected in cricket, agrees with me.

Although I think what Gilchrist is saying is true, and I didn't notice it earlier. Tendulkar did say he did not hear it, but at the trial / tribunal / whatever said that he heard maa ki, when he first denied hearing anything at all.

Interesting... see zMario, I take evidence like this much more seriously than your attempts of picking things that aren't there out of YouTube videos.

I definitely trust Gilly's word and I guess Sachin doesn't take defeat too nicely.

Interesting... see zMario, I take evidence like this much more seriously than your attempts of picking things that aren't there out of YouTube videos.

I definitely trust Gilly's word and I guess Sachin doesn't take defeat too nicely.
Not sure what I'm picking things that aren't there, but whatever.

By the way, is your post above in complete sarcasm, or are you being serious?

Not sure what I'm picking things that aren't there, but whatever.

By the way, is your post above in complete sarcasm, or are you being serious?
It's serious. As to picking things that are not there, it is nicely summarized in that other thread.

Not surprised that it was you who started this thread, Mario.

Anyways, Gilchrist is entitled to his own opinion. The majority of the world still sees Tendulkar as one of the finest ambassadors of the game, and nothing anyone says can take that away.

Not surprised that it was you who started this thread, Mario.

Anyways, Gilchrist is entitled to his own opinion. The majority of the world still sees Tendulkar as one of the finest ambassadors of the game, and nothing anyone says can take that away.
Not sure how much of an opinion is there, when it was very well documented that Sachin did say that he heard nothing in Monkeygate, but when it came to the trial, he somehow came to the conclusion that Singh said to Symonds "maa ki" when he never heard anything, as he said.

Hmm?

More publicity grabbing rubbish written to sell autobiographies, how pathetic.

More publicity grabbing rubbish written to sell autobiographies, how pathetic.
Erm, to be honest, I doubt Gilchrist needs to make up stuff to sell his book at all. He gets money from advertisements, and endorsements, as well as IPL money and money he saved up when he retired.

Complete crap, really. He doesn't need the money (as it seems). Gilchrist was always a man of his word, and he is one player who has utmost integrity to his name.

Spot on, I remeber once sachin was given out and he was not happy with the decission. He just spit on the ground with anger and stare at umpire and nodding his head and went .

Not sure how much of an opinion is there, when it was very well documented that Sachin did say that he heard nothing in Monkeygate, but when it came to the trial, he somehow came to the conclusion that Singh said to Symonds "maa ki" when he never heard anything, as he said.

Hmm?

Imagine this on a cricket field, if you will.

Aussie: "Did Harbhajan just call Symonds a monkey?"
Sachin: "Nope, he just insulted his mother."

I personally would find it very awkward to say immediately.

Spot on, I remeber once sachin was given out and he was not happy with the decission. He just spit on the ground with anger and stare at umpire and nodding his head and went .
Good decisions, bad decisions, all part of sport.

I'm pretty sure Taufel and co. (except Asoka de Silva, but we know all about him) are more critical on themselves than we are, but I honestly am yet to see any reason for a player to argue with an umpire about a decision.

Only twice have I seen a batsman get called back. One was when Kevin Pietersen nicked a ball off Zaheer to Dhoni, but the ball bounced in front of Dhoni. KP walked off without saying anything (I believe), and Taufel recalled him. And that was on the basis of a bump ball, not an LBW or caught behind decision.

zMario added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Imagine this on a cricket field, if you will.

Aussie: "Did Harbhajan just call Symonds a monkey?"
Sachin: "Nope, he just insulted his mother."

I personally would find it very awkward to say immediately.
Of course it would be awkward. But the funny thing is, was Sachin ever asked on the field? :)

I don't remember anyone walking up to Sachin and asking him what he said on the field right then and there. Unless the cameras missed it, (which is possible) since the spotlight was on Singh, Symonds, and Hayden.

Think about it, even in a press conference right after the days play or whatever, it was such a hectic time and a very heated environment. - you want to make sure you got the facts right.

A somewhat similar example - I got in a car accident a few years ago. When the police officer came by and asked me where the car that hit us came from, etc - I resonded 'I don't know'. I was in a state of shock, and I didn't want to mess things up. We got a call after we reached home - same question, same answer, same feelings. The next day, after a good nights rest and after my mind cleared up I remembered and I could answer the question confidently without hesitation.

Think about it, even in a press conference right after the days play or whatever, it was such a hectic time and a very heated environment. - you want to make sure you got the facts right.

A somewhat similar example - I got in a car accident a few years ago. When the police officer came by and asked me where the car that hit us came from, etc - I resonded 'I don't know'. I was in a state of shock, and I didn't want to mess things up. We got a call after we reached home - same question, same answer, same feelings. The next day, after a good nights rest and after my mind cleared up I remembered and I could answer the question confidently without hesitation.
Except in a car crash, one might be in a state of "shock or disbelief", and unless what Harbhajahn said was so unbelieveable, (like calling Symmo a sister f...., well you get the idea) that Sachin was in a state of shock, then yes, its an acceptable idea.

Honestly there is a HUGE difference between a car crash and something you heard.

Like comparing oranges and apples, really. If you don't know what you heard, then you didn't hear anything. Simple as that. If you do know what you heard, but decide to say that oh, I didn't hear anything at all, and then say oh wait, I heard "Harbhajahn said to Symonds maa ki, and not monkey"

Honestly, its not believable.

I do that when I get out. Generally it is more frustration aimed at myself for getting out.

TBH, I'm not too keen on the Indian team, but I do hold Tendulkar up in high regard. However, out of those Aussie scum-bags (:p) I respect Gilly a lot as well.

Worth remembering in these sorts of books, that it is very rare for it to be all the players perspective as there will be people behind the scenes editing it so that it sells whether it is the truth or not.

At what point of time did Sachin say 'I didnt hear much of what was being said'? I guess it was before the Australians lodged an official complaint and before it all went up for hearing. But in the hearing, he said that Harbhajan used the 'Teri Maa ki' word which sounded like monkey.

The consequences of Harbhajan being found guilty in the appeal could have made Sachin come up with the truth to defend his team-mate. Maybe he thought this wasnt going to snowball into such a big issue and might have brushed it off as 'I didnt hear much...'. Without hearing the other side of the story (in this case, Sachin Tendulkar), you cannot come to the verdict that he is at fault. Since this involves two of the greatest cricketers in the sport, both sides have to be listened to and we have listened to only Adam's point of view (which as I said above, might be his interpretation)

I am shocked that Adam Gilchrist is opening a whole new bag of worms after everything has been closed up. This is a clear case of trying to sell his autobiography by adding something sensational. Of all the Australian cricketers, I have the highest respect for Adam Gilchrist and then Brett Lee. Gilchrist has just.... what can I say?

Users who are viewing this thread