Alastair Cook: 10,000 Man

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Let's take a little time to celebrate the great milestone by a great batsman. Also, the first Englishman to accomplish such a feat.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
A great patient batsman but his technique never impressed me. LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1464704042][/DOUBLEPOST]Sunil Gavaskar thinks that he can break SRT's record of highest test runs

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
If only he hadnt wrecked the career of another English great who would have got there first with flair and style, i may have appreciated this more!

Oh yeah, it was all Cook's fault.

S

Satan666

If only he hadnt wrecked the career of another English great who would have got there first with flair and style, i may have appreciated this more!

Probably cuz he is a NON-INDIAN!

Congrats to the Cook, first Englishman to past 10k, wishing him many more runs and continued health in his career!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

Perhaps not all his fault, but he wasn't entirely innocent in it was he?

I don't want to rake over the whole kp issue since it's all been said and nothing is gonna change, but actually i do think it sad that England fans have been denied the tussle of who will get there first that we might have had if Pietersen had regained his fitness (since at the time of his sacking he wasn't fit enough for test cricket anyway). that's genuinely sad, since it would have been epic.

i also dislike the magnification of the achievement with the meaningless bit about "being the youngest" to reach it. reaching 10k career runs is a great achievement, and it doesn't need window dressing like that.
--------------

on a separate note i have been trying to think of a cook innings that really changed the course of a test match; i mean one like Atherton's 185 an Johannesburg or KP's 158 at the Oval. One that turned a match. The best I could come up with was the 235 at Brisbane, as we were actually very far behind on 1st innings. Can anyone think of others?

bigred

Club Captain
Perhaps not all his fault, but he wasn't entirely innocent in it was he?

I don't want to rake over the whole kp issue since it's all been said and nothing is gonna change, but actually i do think it sad that England fans have been denied the tussle of who will get there first that we might have had if Pietersen had regained his fitness (since at the time of his sacking he wasn't fit enough for test cricket anyway). that's genuinely sad, since it would have been epic.

i also dislike the magnification of the achievement with the meaningless bit about "being the youngest" to reach it. reaching 10k career runs is a great achievement, and it doesn't need window dressing like that.
--------------

on a separate note i have been trying to think of a cook innings that really changed the course of a test match; i mean one like Atherton's 185 an Johannesburg or KP's 158 at the Oval. One that turned a match. The best I could come up with was the 235 at Brisbane, as we were actually very far behind on 1st innings. Can anyone think of others?

Shame. I for one salute Cook for all he has done.

KP was a p**ck.

grkrama

National Board President
If he wanted to prove that Sachin was better,

ya it is @Untouchables666 's hallucinations

But if we are looking Purely from a better player perspective, Cook may score runs but he wont be able to touch a lot of players on that 10k+ list indian or not , RD, RP , lara, SRT, JK, KS..

Probably cuz he is a NON-INDIAN!

Quite contradicting to what i said lol, i have enjoyed almost every batsman going past 10k this generation that i have been fortunate to watch not because of that number but the journey to it they had....I never had anything against cook until the whole KP thing though not really fan of cook's batting style, Kp may be a prick but one of the best Batsman in the world that could produce game Changing innings and to do it more consistently than others, after lara i think KP was the one who was close enough to replicate it! Cook as a captain instead of backing his best batsman went ahead and made sure his career was ended!

quite a bit! Atleast for sure after turning him down after scoring 355 NO! As a captain you would have major say in such decisions, and you got to have the back of your players especially when they are injured or through a lean patch and manage them instead of throwing them under the bus to save your skin after a disastrous tour!
Anything the England team is accomplishing now after that rut of 2 years has nothing to do with cook, and all to do with the young brigade of root stokes and the experienced bowlers!

I dont want to spoil the party any more if that's happening here, getting 10k is an achievement however you go about it, so congrats to cook!

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India

quite a bit! Atleast for sure after turning him down after scoring 355 NO! As a captain you would have major say in such decisions, and you got to have the back of your players especially when they are injured or through a lean patch and manage them instead of throwing them under the bus to save your skin after a disastrous tour!
Anything the England team is accomplishing now after that rut of 2 years has nothing to do with cook, and all to do with the young brigade of root stokes and the experienced bowlers!

I dont want to spoil the party any more if that's happening here, getting 10k is an achievement however you go about it, so congrats to cook!

68616476.jpg

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
It's similar to James Anderson getting to 450 Test wickets. The groups that he and Cook have joined proves that they will go down as legends of this game. You can argue they're not as good as the others that are there all you like, but the fact of that matter is, when they retire, they will forever be associated in those groups. That for me, is enough to realise that we're lucky as England fans, to have two of the best players of all time on our hands, right here, right now.

And that's without getting into the fact that Cook has done it as an opener, playing half of his games on the trickiest wickets for an opening batsman in the world. Knock his style all you like, but you can't knock his ability to score runs.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's similar to James Anderson getting to 450 Test wickets. The groups that he and Cook have joined proves that they will go down as legends of this game. You can argue they're not as good as the others that are there all you like, but the fact of that matter is, when they retire, they will forever be associated in those groups. That for me, is enough to realise that we're lucky as England fans, to have two of the best players of all time on our hands, right here, right now.

And that's without getting into the fact that Cook has done it as an opener, playing half of his games on the trickiest wickets for an opening batsman in the world. Knock his style all you like, but you can't knock his ability to score runs.

I think - rightly or wrongly - Jimmy still suffers from the perception earlier in his career that he needed conditions in his favour. if this was ever true (and i think it was only ever partly so), it is certainly no longer the case and he is unquestionably a great, all time great, player.

i think the same has to be said of cook. the reason why test cricket is so good is that it allows players of all types to flourish. Cook may not be a flair batsman but he gets runs and that's all that matters. 10k runs is unquestionably a great achievement and one you don't get without being a great player. i acknowledge and celebrate his achievement. that doesn't change the fact that as i said above, i'm saddened that England fans were robbed of the prospect of a "race" to 10k between Cook and Pietersen.

S

Satan666

But if we are looking Purely from a better player perspective, Cook may score runs but he wont be able to touch a lot of players on that 10k+ list indian or not , RD, RP , lara, SRT, JK, KS..

Quite contradicting to what i said lol, i have enjoyed almost every batsman going past 10k this generation that i have been fortunate to watch not because of that number but the journey to it they had....I never had anything against cook until the whole KP thing though not really fan of cook's batting style, Kp may be a prick but one of the best Batsman in the world that could produce game Changing innings and to do it more consistently than others, after lara i think KP was the one who was close enough to replicate it! Cook as a captain instead of backing his best batsman went ahead and made sure his career was ended!

Amassing X amount of runs doesn't necessarily mean that a player can be viewed as being superior. Cook is only 31 years of age, once he continue playing it is possible he may pass Sachin.

S

Satan666

I was just about to make a post alluding to this, youve said it much better though! English conditions are possibly the most unfriendly for an opening batsman.

Forget the negativity, take a bow Cook, youve done exceptionally well!

Users who are viewing this thread