Alastair Cook: 10,000 Man

grkrama

National Board President
First 10k is an achievement agreed whether you are a tea pot or dog biscuit, you have done well agreed and you will be remembered on those statistics board as one great player!

Now the question one should be asking is whether those 10k runs were memorable enough, compared with the kind of memories that other players with 10k runs have given, how does this 10k stack, from my pov i find cook's 10k not as memorable as others!

Amassing X amount of runs doesn't necessarily mean that a player can be viewed as being superior. Cook is only 31 years of age, once he continue playing it is possible he may pass Sachin.

I meant touch in terms of batting skill and not runs! Btw still seeing sachin everywhere ?

playing half of his games on the trickiest wickets for an opening batsman in the world. Knock his style all you like, but you can't knock his ability to score runs.

I really didn't want to be cook's party popper but... cook and tough runs in tricky situation, that's were he fails the most for me more than lack of flair, the guy rarely comes good against anything potent! I would say the one thing that stands out for him is he is actually good against spin but apart from that he rarely does good against good attacks or tricky conditions!

A wonderful analysis that puts it way better than i can
http://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/alastair-cook-and-tough-runs/

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
First 10k is an achievement agreed whether you are a tea pot or dog biscuit, you have done well agreed and you will be remembered on those statistics board as one great player!

Now the question one should be asking is whether those 10k runs were memorable enough, compared with the kind of memories that other players with 10k runs have given, how does this 10k stack, from my pov i find cook's 10k not as memorable as others!

I meant touch in terms of batting skill and not runs! Btw still seeing sachin everywhere ?

I really didn't want to be cook's party popper but... cook and tough runs in tricky situation, that's were he fails the most for me more than lack of flair, the guy rarely comes good against anything potent! I would say the one thing that stands out for him is he is actually good against spin but apart from that he rarely does good against good attacks or tricky conditions!

A wonderful analysis that puts it way better than i can

Again I'll just say.......

68616476-jpg.167566

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Jokes apart....

I Have seen all players who have crossed the 10000 run mark and AC appealed the least to me. Those who say that he batted in tough conditions, just see the Eng vs Ind test series of 2014 in which a rookie Bhuvaneshwar Kumar who was playing his first tests in England made the bunny of a great batsmen who was playing in home soil.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Someone mentioned that Cook got a large chunk of his runs in England, as an opening batsmen, in unsettling conditions for any batter. That is what impresses me about him the most, plus all those runs scored against India and the most centuries by a non-Asian in Asia.

Now, in terms of the KP issue, Cook and Prior have a large part to play in that, in fact, they outright lied through their teeth. I have disliked Cook the man and the captain since then but Cook the batsman is still exceptional and that's what we are appreciating here.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's so boring slating people for the runs they've scored or the wickets they've taken. I'm sure you can look at anyone who's scored 10000+ runs and say 'oh, x amount of those were against easy teams'. It's not like Tendulkar scored all his against Australia and West Indies in their primes, so it's such a stupid argument. As I said, you can argue whether you like watching him or not, but it really doesn't matter. To score that many runs is impressive. To score that many runs as an opener (the hardest spot to bat in Test cricket) is brilliant. To score that many runs as an opener when the majority of his Tests are in England (One of the hardest countries to open the batting in) is down right special. He will go down as a great whether we all like it or not.

And that's without taking into consideration that he's nowhere near done yet.

grkrama

National Board President
Im not slating him for scoring 10000 runs, i have congratulated him, but what im saying is i cant jump up and down like some cheerleader ' oooo boy 10k 10k 10k, ooo boy wonder youngest achiever etc ' cause he has not really inspired with his batting or skill, game changing ability or performance against quality opposition! Plus his involvement in ousting a quality player doesn't help either!

You can say all that ' Numbers only matter , but to me opposition quality and conditions is a huge factor in test cricket, which is why gooch's century against WI is still hailed as the best and not lara's 400 in antigua' So calling dissection of quality runs and quality innings a player has played to rate him stupid is actually nonsense!

Cook isn't really the best England opener by far i would say Trescothick and Atherton would be on the fore!

Lol and fwiw if you go by numbers sachin averaged 55 against australia and 53 in australia in tests when they were actually good and in some sporting conditions, there should be some reason for world's best spinner to rate him highly! Look i really dont give piss all if cook surpasses sachin's total or not cause that's not how i rate the players worth!

Last edited:

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
AC is the youngest to 10k ,they said

He took 229 innings compared to SRT and Lara's 195, they never said

S

Satan666

Im not slating him for scoring 10000 runs, i have congratulated him, but what im saying is i cant jump up and down like some cheerleader ' oooo boy 10k 10k 10k, ooo boy wonder youngest achiever etc ' cause he has not really inspired with his batting or skill, game changing ability or performance against quality opposition! Plus his involvement in ousting a quality player doesn't help either!

You can say all that ' Numbers only matter , but to me opposition quality and conditions is a huge factor in test cricket, which is why gooch's century against WI is still hailed as the best and not lara's 400 in antigua' So calling dissection of quality runs and quality innings a player has played to rate him stupid is actually nonsense!

Cook isn't really the best England opener by far i would say Trescothick and Atherton would be on the fore!

Lol and fwiw if you go by numbers sachin averaged 55 against australia and 53 in australia in tests when they were actually good and in some sporting conditions, there should be some reason for world's best spinner to rate him highly! Look i really dont give piss all if cook surpasses sachin's total or not cause that's not how i rate the players worth!
No one expects you to put on the skirt and sway those pompoms but it is a fact that Cook has amassed 10k test runs and the youngest to do so, whether you like it or not you cant shy away!

Let me add, only 12 players have hit the 10k mark
Here is an article to read, hoping after you have a greater appreciation of the hard work, skill and determination this young man has played with over the years:

Cook: Numbers that speak of patience and grit | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

grkrama

National Board President
Cook has amassed 10k test runs and the youngest to do so, whether you like it or not you cant shy away!

Lol i haven't denied it, have I ? I have clearly stated 10 k is an achievement whoever and however it is!

Now if you can keep those pink tutu slightly away.... umm good thanks!

S

Satan666

Lol i haven't denied it, have I ? I have clearly stated 10 k is an achievement whoever and however it is!

Now if you can keep those pink tutu slightly away.... umm good thanks!
Why add your negativity to the thread then?

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's so boring slating people for the runs they've scored or the wickets they've taken. I'm sure you can look at anyone who's scored 10000+ runs and say 'oh, x amount of those were against easy teams'. It's not like Tendulkar scored all his against Australia and West Indies in their primes, so it's such a stupid argument. As I said, you can argue whether you like watching him or not, but it really doesn't matter. To score that many runs is impressive. To score that many runs as an opener (the hardest spot to bat in Test cricket) is brilliant. To score that many runs as an opener when the majority of his Tests are in England (One of the hardest countries to open the batting in) is down right special. He will go down as a great whether we all like it or not.

And that's without taking into consideration that he's nowhere near done yet.

Agree. Don't see how he can be accused of only doing it against poor teams. Hasn't he played about 120 matches in a row now? Surely he's played against every attack going. He's done brilliantly in two places (India and UAE) that barely any England player has done well in. He's done well in Australia and he's been a consistent performer at home. He nearly always score 1000 a year, so I don't really get the argument.

grkrama

National Board President
Why add your negativity to the thread then?

Its called difference of opinion bud and its a public forum!

56187219.jpg

Agree. It's pathetic.

oho .... what a wisecrack :clap nothing more to add huh

maybe you may wanna read it or may be not.. you wouldn't like it, but that my view and im not compelling anyone to abide by it, as you cant get me to your view!

Pardon me for not enrolling in Cook acolyte club!

I mean when did it became blasphemy to criticise or analyse a player!
All i said was ok then but i dont rate this guy highly enough compared to other guys in 10k club because so and so.....

and the pink tutu mob gets loses its head!

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think it's unquestionable that Cook is one of the least naturally talented players in the 12, but that doesn't lessen the achievement rather it's impressive to maximise every ounce of talent and opportunity.

But bigred and mufc are being very disingenuous when refusing to acknowledge that the attacks you face make a difference. There is no chance he'd have that record of he played in the 90s.

Cook is probably the best player of spin England have ever had and his record Asia shows that. But equally he plays in an era where his main weakness - quality pace bowling- is tested less than in other eras.

He's done well in Australia 1 out of 3 times. That 1 time was astonishing but equally against by far the weakest of the 3 attacks. That's his true quality... when things are n his favour he very rarely misses out and goes big and maximises it.

Users who are viewing this thread