Story An Australian Summer of Cricket

Who will win the ODI series?

• Total voters

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned

Australian Team Announced For Upcoming Season

The Australian One Day team has been announced during the 2009 season launch at the Melbourne Cricket Ground today. The tense rivalry between international powerhouse sides India and Australia are set to reignite during the Australian?s tour of the sub-continent.

The test and one day side, both lead by Captain Ricky Ponting, will look to improve as the quality of International Sides increase. The test side, coming off a 2-1 away series victory over South Africa, will look to continue its current standing of the world?s number 1 test playing nation. The one day side however, will look to reclaim its top spot after falling to number 3 in the world behind South Africa and India.

?It?s going to be a huge year for Australian and international cricket? Ponting said, ?there area probably no greater challenge in cricket at the moment than playing India on the sub-continent and playing England abroad for the Ashes.?

The Australian team dubbed ?Ponting?s men?, are expected to showcase a number of new talent during the season including Philip Hughes, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus, Marcus North and Callum Fergerson, while established pace bowler Brett Lee will return to the team after months off with injury.

?This is a rebuilding stage for a team that has been at the top for a long time? Australian coach Tim Nielsen added, ?despite that this is still a time that we expect results. The Australian public demand result?s and I think the pressure on the young guys coming through will only improve both themselves and the squad?.

The one day squad is due to go into a week long camp in Brisbane tomorrow before preparing to head to India to tackle the Indian?s and Sri Lanka.

Australia One Day Squad:
1. Michael Clarke (vc)
2. Brad Haddin (wk)
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Michael Hussey
5. David Hussey
6. Callum Fergerson
7. Cameron White
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Brett Lee
11. Ben Hilfenhaus
12. Peter Siddle
13. Shaun Marsh
14. Nathan Bracken
15. James Hopes

Last edited:
Always good to see a story from you mate, so i'm looking forward to this a lot. Good start and will be interesting to see how the Aussies cope with being number 3 ODI team in the world

Australian International Fixtures List:

One Day International Fixtures
Game 1 - India vs Australia
Game 2 - India vs Sri Lanka
Game 3 - Australia vs Sri Lanka
Game 4 - Australia vs Sri Lanka
Game 5 - India vs Australia
Game 6 - India vs Sri Lanka

Final - To be determined

Videocon Test Series
Test 1 - India vs Australia
Test 2 - India vs Australia
Test 3 - India vs Australia

Twenty20 International Fixtures
Game 1 - India vs Australia
Game 2 - India vs Australia

Fixtures to be announced
Venue - Australia

Twenty20 International
England vs Australia

One Day International Fixtures
Game 1 - England vs Australia
Game 2 - England vs Australia
Game 3 - England vs Australia
Game 4 - England vs Australia

NPower Test Series
Test 1 - England vs Australia
Test 2 - England vs Australia
Test 3 - England vs Australia
Test 4 - England vs Australia
Test 5 - England vs Australia

Last edited:
Great start mate, always great to read your stories. Looking forward for some tough tours ahead. Good squad for Australia including some new comers. KIU :clap

PS. Its Callum Ferguson not Cameron Ferguson..:p

I'm glad to see the Champions Trophy played in Australia, also interested with how Australia are only playing 4 ODI's against England.

I really enjoyed your old stories back in the day (:p) and not suprisngly I'm looking foward to this one.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. And thanks Shantanu for the Callum Fergerson mix up. Must have been thinking of Cameron White when i wrote that. Finally fixed the player editor so the matches will be due to start in the coming days.

Cheers, MWaugh

Australia v India will be an awesome tour and it's followed by two more incredible tours. Going to be a very exciting year.

Good stuff.

Australian Squad Go Into Camp

The Australian One Day squad has begun a week long camp in Brisbane ahead of their upcoming tour of India. Australian Vice-Captain Michael Clarke appeared confident in his young chargers ahead of what looks set to be one of the most gruelling and toughest calendar years in recent history.

“The energy in the camp at the moment, Tim (Australian Coach Tim Nielsen) has really been putting the guys through their paces and the team are feeling very confident that we can get some positive results from India to help prepare for the ICC Champions Trophy”.

The selection of Australian paceman Brett Lee was one of the main talking points at the season launch recently, and the New South Wales quick appears eager to face the star studded Indian batting line up.

“Mate its just great to be back in the team. Ever since Glenn (McGrath) and Warnie (Shane Warne) retired from international cricket, I’ve been really keen to lead the development of the young bowling attack and help Australian cricket in the future.

Personally I feel the fittest I’ve been in a long time. I just hope I get a game at some stage and I can’t wait to get the ball back in my hand. I think this is a really exciting time for Australian cricket”.

At the conclusion of the camp, the team will prepare to fly into Mumbai from Brisbane international airport.

brett-lee-has-ankle-surgery.jpg

(Brett Lee in training ahead of the current one day and test series)

Last edited:
Another great update mate, there would be huge responsibilities on Lee as he is the main bowler of the side. KIU :clap looking forward for more.

Great writing there, MWaugh.

If Brett is feeling the fittest he has been in a long time then his bowling will no doubt prosper and he might get close to the quality he did when he peaked. Going to be interesting to watch how he does and the impact he has on the youngsters.

great start mate,

KIU and looking forward to England winning back the urn

Looks like a big itenery of cricket for the Aussies!

Indian Squad Announced

As reigning 50 over One Day World Cup champions Australia departed Brisbane International Airport for their upcoming triangular series with India and Sri Lanka, the host nation announced their one day squad. There were no real surprises from the worlds number 2 ranked nation, with a clear mixture of youth and experienced selected.

Indian Squad
1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Rahul Dravid
5. Yuvraj Singh
6. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (c) (wk)
7. Suresh Raina
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Ishant Sharma
12. VVS Laxman
13. RP Singh
14. Rohit Sharma
15. Yusuf Pathan
16. Praveen Kumar

mahendra_singh_dhoni.jpg

(Wicket-keeper Mahendra Singh Dhoni will again captain the side)

Last edited:
Very balanced side for Indians with both youth and experience in it. But surprised to see Laxman get a one day call up. Great writing there mate. :clap

A very strong squad has been selected for the Indians. If I remember correctly Praveen Kumar played really well against Australia in the CB Series a couple of years ago, so he should be a handful for the touring sides.

Users who are viewing this thread