Any Improvements?

Something needs to be done to the stories and the leagues section. The former is totally dead. The league section isn't in a great state as well. The number of leagues abandoned is more than the leagues completed.

Any ideas?

For stories, we've been discussing it a bit recently among the staff, with suggestions like bringing back a Story of the Month competition and doing more to encourage people to write DBC14 career diaries.

On the leagues forum, it's hard to do something about abandoned leagues - we can't just have blanket preventions on newer users making leagues and we can't predict the future reliably to know if a particular league will fail.

Any ideas?

For stories, we've been discussing it a bit recently among the staff, with suggestions like bringing back a Story of the Month competition and doing more to encourage people to write DBC14 career diaries.

On the leagues forum, it's hard to do something about abandoned leagues - we can't just have blanket preventions on newer users making leagues and we can't predict the future reliably to know if a particular league will fail.

Yes. I'd say bring back the Story of the Month. Such competitions encourage writers to put in their best. Feedback also is another deciding factor. One wouldn't write a story if he doesn't get feedback at all. I'd also day vCash awards to the writer of the best stories and to enable the post count in the stories section. Maybe DBC might spark some activity into the stories forums and writers like NoLeName and Spikery can write their career diaries.

All we need are a few members who are interested in writing stories and who have the time to write stories.

League of the Month too should be brought back, though a few staffs like Varun and User would strongly disagree, because it was really controversial before it was abandoned.

@KBC is doing really well with the GFX section, but we need threads like again, GFX maker of the month etc.

That's a brilliant idea to revive the so called 'dead sections'.

I'd love to write a story...but studies, playing a major part in the time schedule,is forcing me not to do so.

Yes. I'd say bring back the Story of the Month. Such competitions encourage writers to put in their best. Feedback also is another deciding factor. One wouldn't write a story if he doesn't get feedback at all. I'd also day vCash awards to the writer of the best stories and to enable the post count in the stories section. Maybe DBC might spark some activity into the stories forums and writers like NoLeName and Spikery can write their career diaries.
The problem is the normal chicken and egg situation - no one writes stories because there's no feedback, because the section isn't active because no one writes stories.

There's only so far that vCash can go in pushing activity. I'm open to trying things though.

League of the Month too should be brought back, though a few staffs like Varun and User would strongly disagree, because it was really controversial before it was abandoned.
Generally because it's hard to judge objectively, unlike determining what is a good story or graphic.

Perhaps instead of picking a winner as such, staff could just award vCash to leagues that are progressing well, which the owners could use to keep interest levels up?

@KBC is doing really well with the GFX section, but we need threads like again, GFX maker of the month etc.
I'm not sure what would distinguish that over the Graphics Making Championship - which is certainly my preferred way of picking the 'best', as it avoids people simply picking favourites/friends.

I'm not sure what would distinguish that over the Graphics Making Championship - which is certainly my preferred way of picking the 'best', as it avoids people simply picking favourites/friends.
The GMC is more of a competition. The Best Thread aard ill go to the person who consistently posts good artwork. The main problem is that we do not have any sort of judge for that.

The problem is the normal chicken and egg situation - no one writes stories because there's no feedback, because the section isn't active because no one writes stories.

There's only so far that vCash can go in pushing activity. I'm open to trying things though.
That's why we need good members/writers who are active in the Cricket Discussions or the DBC forum to be active in the Stories section. I guess most of them would love writing a story.
Perhaps instead of picking a winner as such, staff could just award vCash to leagues that are progressing well, which the owners could use to keep interest levels up?
This seems a very good idea. Staff could award vCash to the active league managers who keep the league section active. Then the league manager would use a bit of their cash to give to the active team managers who keep the league active.

Inactive team managers is also an issue, but now there's little use of discussing it in the leagues/stories forum as many of the staff who are responsible for the leagues and stories section are sadly no longer active.

It seems Aditya is keen to spring the Story Forum back to life, which is good.

As Matt said, staff members have had discussions on the revival of the stories section and we've come up with a few ideas. The primary reason for the inactivity is largely due to the fact that there has been no quality cricket game that has come out in the last few years.

SOTM is definitely a good idea to attract writers, that's what I believe. But nothing can motivate the writers unless they're themselves willing. With DBC coming out in a few days on PC, I can sense the excitement among the fans and especially with the Career Mode - the game would be perfect to build up a story line.

As for the leagues section, there's very less that we can do. For the graphics section, PCGMOTW is the best way to go forward and I can see that you're managing it now (Dipak). As compared to the stories section and the leagues section, the graphics section is way ahead in terms of activity.

We're surely keen to hear ideas on how we can revive the stories section. If any one has got any ideas, please do post. :)

We're surely keen to hear ideas on how we can revive the stories section.
As discussed above,
The only way to revive stories section is to organize story writing competition and poll for the best and then, award decent v cash to the winners..The Staff can also put the best on the front page of planet cricket.

Also, this competition should be advertised properly (as you advertised the spot the ball competition)so that members can take their time out (as they will be busy playing DBC 14) and participate.

Also probably featuring the story of the month on the planet cricket front page like an article, that will encourage people a bit, also make it more visible in the process.

There should be another 'Champions League' preferably for the amateurs league managers. As UEFA organize two leagues from the same continental associations(Champions League and Europa League) in real football, similarly there should be another champions league or secondary champions league(I've no idea to name it) to include top teams of newbies' leagues . I think new league managers would love to see teams of their league to be contained in an official PC championship. So they might inspire to finish at least a season.

Users who are viewing this thread