Are the Indian cricket team and board bringing cricket into disrepute?

Have the BCCI/India team brought cricket into disrepute?

• Total voters
If I'm not mistaken, quite a few Indian members on this forum agreed with the BCCI's stance on the Harbajan and Umpiring issues or is that completely different?

Still though, it's just a huge insensitive generalisation to make that India as a whole is bringing the game into disrepute, should be the Indian board. I, for one, think that the BCCI are a bunch of muppets.

Fair enough. Maybe Dean would be so kind as to edit the title if there's a problem?

Last edited:
I think you should make it 'Is BCCI bringing cricket into disrepute?'.

Yes, our entire country is bringing this petty little game down. Just kick us out, why don'tcha..:rollyeyes:

Australians = Yes;

Indians = NO.
Idiot.
how can you call harbhajan a racist with no evidence ?????

do u have minds or not

BCCI or any board will do the same .. if any of their players are treated like that without any evidence

that is a big threat to world .. lieing and with no evidence calling a player a racist is a huge crime .. .. untill the corruption is stopped .. the tour should be cancelled .. otherwise they will repeat the same on many innocents ..
And another idiot.

Are people really this stupid?

Although bcci threatened to pull if the case didn't succeed they also had the right to pull out because they believed that harbhajan didnt racially abuse anyone.

Doesn't it sound a bit hypocritical? BCCI is fine with accepting a favourable verdict as reasonable and independent, but it would have pulled out from the tour it was unfavourable. Even when delievered by the same judge.

Even when delievered by the same judge.

The match referee made the first decision and I think the BCCI and the Indian team thought it was on unfair grounds, which is why they appealed in the first place and their appeal was upheld by an actual judge, Justice John Hansen of the New Zealand High Court.

As a moderator it is probably technically wrong of me to start such a volatile argument, but I feel very strongly on the issue all the same.

The BCCI has become too powerful for the ICC and someone needs to take a stand right now. If India had pulled out of the tour, ESPN would have come down on Cricket Australia, and a split of the nations could easily have occurred. Needless to say, cricket would have been damaged, perhaps irreparably.

My question is, will the ICC ever take a firm hand or will they continue to allow the BCCI to steamroll them without protest?

Have the BCCI overstepped the line here by blackmailing the ICC and Cricket Australia, who unsuccessfully tried to persuade the Australian players to drop the charges against Harbhajan because of the threat of an abandoned tour?

I agree. To blackmail the Cricket Australia and the ICC is outrageous. The ICC howerver are being weak. They need to be responsible and outrank the BCCI.

I might be missing something here, but when did Sharad Pawar, the man who runs the BCCI, say that the tour would be called off if the appeal wasn't upheld?

I dont agree with you. And reading the title of the thread, I feel its totally absurd because the whole country is being pulled in here for what you perceive as "wrong actions" by a group of people called BCCI (I am not saying that what BCCI did was wrong, I will come to that in the next para). The title of the thread should be immediately changed to "Are the BCCI bringing cricket to disrepute" or "Is the Indian cricket board bringing cricket to disrepute"?

Secondly, I dont think BCCI did anything wrong. They have stood by a player because they think he hasnt committed the mistake for which he was punished (racism). Of course, he used abusive language and had he been punished for that (by Proctor), there wouldnt have been this big a fuss. The fuss is all because Harbhajan was accused of racism. And without conclusive evidence that has Harbhajan say a word thats racial vilification (as Hayden says in the stump recordings), you cannot call a person 'racist' and punish him for that.

So the BCCI threatening to pull out of the tour if they dont get the 'racist' tag removed off Harbhajan was RIGHT!!!! Not only BCCI, all those following these events know that there is no conclusive evidence of Bhajji calling Symonds a 'monkey' or 'big monkey' and so the BCCI have stood by Harbhajan. The pressure that it has brought about on CA and ICC is purely co-incidental.

If I'm not mistaken, quite a few Indian members on this forum agreed with the BCCI's stance on the Harbajan and Umpiring issues or is that completely different?
So? There are still others that don't. Not to mention the BCCI stance is not really presented well in this forum since most of it comes from the Australian media. Besides, the thread title just doesn't justify it.

The match referee made the first decision and I think the BCCI and the Indian team thought it was on unfair grounds, which is why they appealed in the first place and their appeal was upheld by an actual judge, Justice John Hansen of the New Zealand High Court.

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. BCCI is happy to accept Hansen as a valid authority now, since they got what they wanted. But they wouldn't accept it if Hansen made an unfavourable decision (hence, the chartered plane). Does not sound right. If you appeal, you should be prepared to accept any decision.

BCCI is happy to accept Hansen as a valid authority now, since they got what they wanted. But they wouldn't accept it if Hansen made an unfavourable decision (hence, the chartered plane).

You mean these chartered planes?

MELBOURNE: The Indian cricket team on Wednesday rubbished media reports here that it had chartered a plane to fly back home in case Harbhajan Singh was not cleared of racial abuse charges.

The team's media manager M V Sridhar said the visitors had not even thought of such a move. “I don't know where that came from. There was no thinking like that at all,” Sridhar was quoted as saying in The Age.

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IES20080130063139&Page=S&Title=Sports&Topic=-521&

This is what I mean. There is essentially no factual evidence to back up most of the things that are being posted here accusing the Indians and the BCCI of this or that.

Users who are viewing this thread