Are the Indian cricket team and board bringing cricket into disrepute?

Have the BCCI/India team brought cricket into disrepute?

• Total voters
The very title is biased. Are India bringing cricket into disrepute? It's almost arguing that all Indians are bringing cricket into disrepute. A short answer...no.

How else should he word it?

The subject is India and the question is whether their board is bringing the game into disripute. It's an open question and I don't see the bias.

How else should he word it?

The subject is India and the question is whether their board is bringing the game into disripute. It's an open question and I don't see the bias.

Umm...the party bringing cricket into question is called BCCI, not the entire nation of India.

No.

The idea that cricket has some higher set of morals is a fallacy. Although, there is sporting behavior demonstrated by the gentleman of the game, for years there has been an unsavory side to cricket: match fixing, bodyline, sledging etc.

The BCCI has no duty to CA and has ruthlessly exploited its financial dominance. Its like in a game of poker, you have to respect the player with the most chips. If he puts you all in, you have to be pretty sure what you're holding is a winner. Looks like CA weren't that sure.

Btw, Whether Harbajan actually used the word monkey doesn't really matter. You cannot an issue a guilty verdict without evidence. The idea it is better to let an guilty man go rather than punish an innocent man is a central principle of most justice systems.

PCB as well. They are both bringing the game into disrepute. They think they own the cricketing world and if the ICC weren't so spineless then they could be put in their place. But no, instead they live in fear of the BCCI.

I'm pretty sure the members here are smart enough to realise that Dean isn't including a few farmers in Kolkata. He obviously means the BCCI.

PCB as well. They are both bringing the game into disrepute. They think they own the cricketing world and if the ICC weren't so spineless then they could be put in their place. But no, instead they live in fear of the BCCI.

It seems as though the major Asian nations will always back eachother and form a bloc to get their demands realised. This is evident in the Hair saga and the idea about cutting the teams in the WC from 16 to 14.

Last edited:
The one thing that has really 'grinded my gears' on this issue is that at every possible chance Pakistan and India play the racism card, but when it's turned on them, whether proved or not, they have a hissy fit. Whereas they expect every other country just to lie down and be accused off all sorts.

The one thing that has really 'grinded my gears' on this issue is that at every possible chance Pakistan and India play the racism card, but when it's turned on them, whether proved or not, they have a hissy fit. Whereas they expect every other country just to lie down and be accused off all sorts.

I don't remember the BCCI playing the racism card ever.

I've been saying exactly this for god knows long but inevitably, I just got called a racist.

If Bhaji had been racially abused then all hell would have broke loose and a lot of Indian's opinions on how racism should be dealt with on here would change vastly. Hmmm.

There's no point arguing guys. Indians will always defend their countryman's action no matter whether they are right or wrong.

Indians will always defend their countryman's action no matter whether they are right or wrong.

That's right, and even when Symonds has admitted that he doesn't know for sure if Harbhajan used the word 'monkey' or something else, you will claim that there is no doubt that Harbhajan used it.

I've been saying exactly this for god knows long but inevitably, I just got called a racist.

If Bhaji had been racially abused then all hell would have broke loose and a lot of Indian's opinions on how racism should be dealt with on here would change vastly. Hmmm.

Quit using your goddamn hypothetical statements. They add nothing to your argument as actual proof, and only make you look more pathetic for using them.

Half of your arguement has been based upon Habahjan doing nothing wrong, and despite only being charged with offensive language, even the judge admitted having taken evidence in he could have been charged for a much more serious offence.

That's right, and even when Symonds has admitted that he doesn't know for sure if Harbhajan used the word 'monkey' or something else, you will claim that there is no doubt that Harbhajan used it.

I must say that that was extremely well said Pal.

Anyways what was the point of opening a thread like this when we just got over the recent fiasco? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the members here are smart enough to realise that Dean isn't including a few farmers in Kolkata. He obviously means the BCCI.
It obviously does rankle posters, including me. It is not India who is bringing the game into disrepute, it is the BCCI. There is a huge difference. You cannot summarize the opinions of over a billion people with one pathetic organization.

It seems as though the major Asian nations will always back eachother and form a bloc to get their demands realised. This is evident in the Hair saga and the idea about cutting the teams in the WC from 16 to 14.
Blocs have always existed. Do you think New Zealand, Australia and England don't always act as a bloc? The Asian bloc just has a lot of monetary power, which helps in blaming it for some things that are not malicious intent. For example your wonderful packaging up of the World Cup team issue, which is a completely different argument altogether, into a thread which is now evolving to accuse the Asian bloc of bringing cricket into disrepute.

If you could use some proof to back your argument that would be great.

Anyways what was the point of opening a thread like this when we just got over the recent fiasco? :rolleyes:
Ask the moderators. Oh wait. :rolleyes:

I don't remember the BCCI playing the racism card ever.
Care to help manee and I out with this one, anyone (especially Animator!)?

Last edited:
It obviously does rankle posters, including me. It is not India who is bringing the game into disrepute, it is the BCCI. There is a huge difference. You cannot summarize the opinions of over a billion people with one pathetic organization.

If I'm not mistaken, quite a few Indian members on this forum agreed with the BCCI's stance on the Harbajan and Umpiring issues or is that completely different?

Users who are viewing this thread