Ashes-2023 England VS Australia 16 June-31 July

Warner running straight down the wicket. The usual behaviour from him
Post automatically merged:

6 overs short of the 90, with lyon bowling 29 or 30 of them? Terrible that imo

close of play

393 for 8 dec. root ton

aus 14 for 0

would have been nice to take one there and I think Jimmy Anderson will bowl first in the morning

night all

Even if they got both of the openers out in those four overs, this was an utterly stupid declaration. I missed play after Root's hundred thinking that he'd guide them to above 400 and beyond. Root alone could have got them forty runs extra at the least the way he was batting.

Even if they got both of the openers out in those four overs, this was an utterly stupid declaration. I missed play after Root's hundred thinking that he'd guide them to above 400 and beyond. Root alone could have got them forty runs extra at the least the way he was batting.
Have to hold a little bit before you can 100% say it was stupid though. They are so confident that broad would get Warner that stokes took the gamble . I fully understand your reasoning though but it’s to be seen in a few days if it was stupid

Have to hold a little bit before you can 100% say it was stupid though. They are so confident that broad would get Warner that stokes took the gamble . I fully understand your reasoning though but it’s to be seen in a few days if it was stupid

I think it’s stupid because you have the same chance of getting both Warner and Khawaja out tomorrow as you did in these four overs. You’d have more time (how likely is it that you’d get two openers in four overs on a flat pitch like this for one?), energy and less pressure to do so too. It’s one thing to do it when the ball is doing things and the conditions are difficult to bat in but they were not. I haven’t even come to my main stickling point which is that Warner averages 26 in England and Khawaja 18. Both had horrible series last time around. These are not blokes you should be afraid of in the first place or try funky stuff to get out. The worst part is that they didn’t even give the ball to their ATG new ball bowler who didn’t bat and would have been presumably fresh, what was the point of the declaration then?

The ploy has already failed IMO, even if Warner or Khawaja get out first ball in the morning anyone would argue that it would have happened irrespective of today’s short session and the only difference is that Australia have cut the deficit by fourteen runs instead of England potentially raising it by at least twenty runs (and I’m being very generous here, England could have got to 450 easily with ten overs left). This may well turn out to be a “we’ll have a bowl, thanks” type of moment in Ashes history.

I think it’s stupid because you have the same chance of getting both Warner and Khawaja out tomorrow as you did in these four overs. You’d have more time (how likely is it that you’d get two openers in four overs on a flat pitch like this for one?), energy and less pressure to do so too. It’s one thing to do it when the ball is doing things and the conditions are difficult to bat in but they were not. I haven’t even come to my main stickling point which is that Warner averages 26 in England and Khawaja 18. Both had horrible series last time around. These are not blokes you should be afraid of in the first place or try funky stuff to get out. The worst part is that they didn’t even give the ball to their ATG new ball bowler who didn’t bat and would have been presumably fresh, what was the point of the declaration then?

The ploy has already failed IMO, even if Warner or Khawaja get out first ball in the morning anyone would argue that it would have happened irrespective of today’s short session and the only difference is that Australia have cut the deficit by fourteen runs instead of England potentially raising it by at least twenty runs (and I’m being very generous here, England could have got to 450 easily with ten overs left). This may well turn out to be a “we’ll have a bowl, thanks” type of moment in Ashes history.
the Aussies are over 300 behind, until they lead you can’t say 100% the declaration has failed. Root was just lashing it around and they were never going to let Jimmy Anderson bat for the sake of 10 runs or so. This is how Stokes see the game now and all past conventions don’t apply to this England team . He will declare with less than 300 one day and we as fans, just have to accept it. That’s how they see the game. It’s all if, buts and maybes, but this is a completely different way of playing test cricket.

i do fully understand where you are coming from though

@Bevab

You said you missed play after roots ton. He switched to complete t20 mode and was hitting it in the air on every ball. He knew they were declaring so was not looking for the close

should be a great day 2 incoming

Users who are viewing this thread