Ashes Cricket 2009 v1.1 Open Beta 2

And since when did playing a defensive shot on 74 give you confidence?

Yeah exactly. I think you should only gain confidence up to a certain point by defensive shots, and to an even lower point by leaving. Also, I think a distinction between confidence and 'eye-in' level should be made. After all, I can be batting for 3 hours and on 100*, so my eye is very much in, but a few play and misses should knock my confidence. Also, after a lunch/tea interval, you're 'eye-in' would go down a bit and your confidence remain about the same.

Basically, 'eye-in' should be a function of balls faced (with drops for breaks between sessions), and confidence would be more fickle, so leaving repeatedly should reduce your confidence, as should blocking but by a lesser amount. The 'eye-in' could be affected by things like if you haven't faced a ball in ages, or perhaps with a bowler change, etc.

I think that's basically how it works in real life, and I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be translated into a game.

Would be a bit messy to have an eye-in gauge as well as a confidence gauge though. But things like breaks certainly should effect it. Don't see anything really wrong with gaining a bit of confidence by playing a defensive shot when you are on 74, especially if the confidence had been previously knocked a bit. You can't really cover every aspect in a game and by giving you that little reward for a defensive shot it is more likely that you will play them and thus you end up with a slightly more realistic run rate. If you try and add in every single little variable and foible then only people who actually play cricket will be able to play the game at all.

Who says you have to have a meter? PES doesn't have a meter for stamina unless you enable it, but you can certainly feel its effects. In cricket, your eye in amount should manifest itself in how easy the batsman can judge the line/length of the ball.

Last edited:
I get plenty bowling with spinners. Less with the seamers but still some. Would like more caught behinds with quick bowlers.

You are right.... I dont get edges with seamers much and once the AI goes fearless, it is impossible. For tailenders, as their timing meter values are very less, I do get edges with them.

You are right.... I dont get edges with seamers much and once the AI goes fearless, it is impossible. For tailenders, as their timing meter values are very less, I do get edges with them.

Not impossible, but damned hard. If the batting can be changed so that 'Bold' is the top level, I reckon the balance between mistakes/good batting will be better.

Answers below according to me

1. Batting is more difficult, front foot shots mostly because the AI fast bowler bowls one pitched up delivery after a gap of ~ 10 balls.
2. It is much much harder to bowl the AI out. Sometimes impossible when Mr. fearless comes into play.
3. 3 ~ 3.5 RPO
4. Edges have totally disappeared when AI is batting. Worst feeling this! :crying
5. AI Fast bowler bowls 90% short balls just outside off stump, which makes batting really boring. I will take a snapshot of AI bowler pitch map if anyone wants to see. The AI spinner however bowls 90% over pitched deliveries, which is again boring to play.

One more point I would like to add here is that the AI fielding is nearly the same till the end of innings.

If the above points are taken into considerations, this will be a near perfect game with a little bit of issues which we understand and can manage. I hope th transmission guys read this.

Thanks for reply mate. :D

I would love to see that ai bowing pitch map please.

Giggs11 added 6 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Yeah exactly. I think you should only gain confidence up to a certain point by defensive shots, and to an even lower point by leaving. Also, I think a distinction between confidence and 'eye-in' level should be made. After all, I can be batting for 3 hours and on 100*, so my eye is very much in, but a few play and misses should knock my confidence. Also, after a lunch/tea interval, you're 'eye-in' would go down a bit and your confidence remain about the same.

Basically, 'eye-in' should be a function of balls faced (with drops for breaks between sessions), and confidence would be more fickle, so leaving repeatedly should reduce your confidence, as should blocking but by a lesser amount. The 'eye-in' could be affected by things like if you haven't faced a ball in ages, or perhaps with a bowler change, etc.

I think that's basically how it works in real life, and I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility that it could be translated into a game.

Yes i think your right about some of the confidence issues your confidence should lower during intervals and also when starting a new day. Look at strauss in recent tests, couldnt ever add anything to his scorecard overnight .

can anyone please tell me when these patches will be available for PS3 consoles...

Giggs11 added 6 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Yes i think your right about some of the confidence issues your confidence should lower during intervals and also when starting a new day. Look at strauss in recent tests, couldnt ever add anything to his scorecard overnight .

I think that's a Lords thing actually! Most cricketers who resume their innings at Lords promptly exit.

Maybe this should be in the patch....

na pretty sure he did it twice or three time but yes lords has big impact on this happening tho :D

I just finished my batting and now I cannot see the AI bowling pitch map (another limitation), so I have to wait till my 2nd innings batting starts and give you a pitch map after I play atleast 50 overs. I really hope the bowling line and length varies in the final patch as I scored more than 50% of my runs by playing defensive shots on the offside and taking quick singles. I am thinking to install Tutsi's patch which increases my V zone, making batting more interesting and unpredictive.

Do you reckon the P.C. boys might be able to play around with the confidence meters? :)

We can't control what events gain and lose confidence, no.

What I was thinking of was reducing the gap between confident and fearless. Right now, when a batsman gets past bold, he's stupidly hard to get out. I don't ever remember seeing a play/miss from a batsman above confident.

Users who are viewing this thread