Ashes Cricket General Discussion

I'm a nicking virgin. I mean, off fast bowling anyway. I've nicked plenty off spinners but against the AI fast bowling, not once. And I go for everything outside off stump because of the AI fields (and the fact I know I won't nick it)

This is having played a bunch of short and long form matches. On pro originally, bumped it up to veteran for the latest few games. On xbone.

Modifiers
Timing: 50
Pitch marker: 30
Footwork/ball quality/shot selection:60

Last edited:
I've been getting plenty of edges when batting recently. I've only played Tests and play on Veteran as that gives me the best bowling experience. Modifiers are:

Timing: 60
Aerial Marker: 23
Footwork: 60
Ball Quality: 70
Shot Selection: 80

I also take my guard at Middle or Middle/Leg. Don't know if it's just in the mind but I seem to get more edges that way. Had outside edges that carry and don't carry, ones that fly through the slips and also inside edges that crash into the stumps. Had a couple of edges from defensive shots but most from driving which is how it should be I think.

See I play on PC, Legend difficulty and my experience is the opposite. Whilst bowling I literally get zero edges, maybe I'll get one if I'm lucky and when I bat I'm edging the ball all over the place. For bowling I've got it set to super easy so every ball I bowl is a "Perfect" delivery and for batting I use wealy sliders with pitch marker modified to 50...For the life of me I can't get an edge when bowling though it's really putting me off playing test matches knowing I'll bowl 150 odd overs with no chance of an edge...

What kind of scores do CPU post against you?

As I say I don't get to play often but in 2 tests the cpu have posted decent scores (can't remember off the top of my head) and I got skittled for low scores. In a recent odi on pro/hard batting/medium bowling settings the cpu made 320 odd for 9 (a couple of edges, one in particular stands out to a backfoot defence through to the keeper) and again, I got bowled out for a paltry 180ish (edges galore). Think it must be my batting - if you play the wrong shot to a ball I've noticed you tend to edge more, ie, a front foot cover drive to a ball short of a length, I've often nicked through to slips/gulley area.

One other thing happened yesterday; I lowered the 'hard' batting modifiers from 75 to around 60 and found I couldn't lay a bat on the ball. Was playing and missing to 80% of deliveries. I thought lowering these values would make batting easier, as 'medium' settings are all at 50?

Possibly but something tells me this isn't the case, playing some ODI matches I literally bowl out-swingers outside off 95% of the time and I got a ton of edges. Then I moved onto playing test matches with the same bowling strategy and I bowled 130 overs no edge, but funnily enough when it got to batsmen 5 onwards they started to edge it a bit more. Then 2nd innings of bowling I got edges everywhere. Played another test and in both innings no edges apart from one edge early on. So I'm not sure if mixing up deliveries makes a difference I think there is something wrong with the game because as you can see people have an issue edging the ball whilst batting, but I however edge the ball A LOT when batting it's where 60-70% of how I get out.

Possibly but something tells me this isn't the case, playing some ODI matches I literally bowl out-swingers outside off 95% of the time and I got a ton of edges. Then I moved onto playing test matches with the same bowling strategy and I bowled 130 overs no edge, but funnily enough when it got to batsmen 5 onwards they started to edge it a bit more. Then 2nd innings of bowling I got edges everywhere. Played another test and in both innings no edges apart from one edge early on. So I'm not sure if mixing up deliveries makes a difference I think there is something wrong with the game because as you can see people have an issue edging the ball whilst batting, but I however edge the ball A LOT when batting it's where 60-70% of how I get out.

Also you get edges that fall short from pace bowlers when you are bowling? When I do get edges they fly head or above head height all the time. To this day I think the Cricket 05/07 series had the most beautiful looking edges, how they'd drop really low to the ground and the animation of the slips too, very nice!

I also play tests though and I edge the ball the the slips/keeper all the time

Are you Xbox or PS4?

I play on legend, for batting I'm using @WealeyH sliders except I have pitch marker set to 50 instead of 10 and I have pace bowling speed max on 80 and speed min on 70. I think having the pace up probably helps because the timings get messed up, for example with default settings you can time the ball when pretty much near the marker because it's so slow but with higher bowling speed you have to time it earlier and can be tricky.

Also I'm having a world of trouble against Lyon, he got 6-70 odd in the first innings and now in the 2nd Innings he's taken a crucial wicket too. If you want to read about my match I made a post here, will update later today also!

https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...tition-experiences.109280/page-7#post-3237923

EDIT: Unfortunately for me batting is good but bowling is hit and miss for me, in every test I've played I bowl for 120+ overs with ZERO nicks and only in the very end I start to get a few nicks :/
Bang on. I think Pace modifier set 70-80 does the trick . I ve also set Bounce to 60, Swing to 80, and Pitch Friction to 70. Don't use the Batting Modifier, find it too difficult to time ball on stumps with Timing on 50. Great fun. Playing tests for a while. Will have to reduce the settings for ODIs and T20, but then again don't like those formats personally

As I say I don't get to play often but in 2 tests the cpu have posted decent scores (can't remember off the top of my head) and I got skittled for low scores. In a recent odi on pro/hard batting/medium bowling settings the cpu made 320 odd for 9 (a couple of edges, one in particular stands out to a backfoot defence through to the keeper) and again, I got bowled out for a paltry 180ish (edges galore). Think it must be my batting - if you play the wrong shot to a ball I've noticed you tend to edge more, ie, a front foot cover drive to a ball short of a length, I've often nicked through to slips/gulley area.

One other thing happened yesterday; I lowered the 'hard' batting modifiers from 75 to around 60 and found I couldn't lay a bat on the ball. Was playing and missing to 80% of deliveries. I thought lowering these values would make batting easier, as 'medium' settings are all at 50?

I have same experience as you for batting, although I have harder difficulty I do nick the ball a lot when batting...just when bowling I can't get any sometimes. I'm also paranoid it's something to do with logos and team downloads, I never played DBC17 but apparently that game had some bugs to do with downloading teams and logos which altered the gameplay from what I understand, which is completely ridiculous if thats the case!

Are you Xbox or PS4?

PC only, seems like everyone is having different gameplay experience on each system.

Last night I played an ODI on default settings, as all my matches are, and there were plenty of edges. Although, it didn't last long because I bowled Australia out for 58 thanks to Malcolm Marshall and Curtly Ambrose.

Edges are simple and have two factors: the human and the game.

Bowling: Humans either don't bowl enough good (not timing, just delivery taking balls) deliveries to get edges, they don't experiment or vary their deliveries. They bowl like it's real life not a video game. Or the AI are set too high with skills, get better contact, timing and shot selection resulting in fewer edges. Or like @CazCat you need to get them rattled, early on helps. Malcolm Marshall bowling short pitched swinging leg cutters into your ribs also seems to do the trick.

Batting: Humans might not play shots that, currently, bring a lot of edges. Humans are too good at batting because, they are simply too good, or use too many batting markers, I think the game is painfully easy with the Batting Aerial Marker. If humans bat in the same way for every player in a team then the results are likely to be the same - e.g. since I put away my beloved square drive in test matches for almost every player, strangely, almost every player edges the ball a lot less. Also AI settings might be completely off in terms of bowling deliveries that will produce more edges - by variation, line, length etc.

Pitches, conditions seem to have a some effect on edges but you have to play several matches in varied conditions to really notice the difference and also variation that the game has. Flat pitches are tedious to bowl on but realistic.

In summation. I don't think there is some magic set of modifiers that will make your game like my game or like anyone else because there is too much going on elsewhere that will nullify those changes. The inputs by the human is the biggest factor otherwise how would, quite a lot of us, be having perfectly enjoyable (bar bugs) and varied experiences on default settings?

Humans - increase your difficulty, remove markers.
AI - when you become sentient don't kill us all in an act of revenge for the vicious powerplay bowling that Marshall and Ambrose dished out.

This post didn't start out so passive aggressive but I'm tired, hungry and need to take my medication. :facepalm

Last edited:
Last night I played an ODI on default settings, as all my matches are, and there were plenty of edges. Although, it didn't last long because I bowled Australia out for 58 thanks to Malcolm Marshall and Curtly Ambrose.

Edges are simple and have two factors: the human and the game.

Bowling: Humans either don't bowl enough good (not timing, just delivery taking balls) deliveries to get edges, they don't experiment or vary their deliveries. They bowl like it's real life not a video game. Or the AI are set too high with skills, get better contact, timing and shot selection resulting in fewer edges. Or like @CazCat you need to get them rattled, early on helps. Malcolm Marshall bowling short pitched swinging leg cutters into your ribs also seems to do the trick.

Batting: Humans might not play shots that, currently, bring a lot of edges. Humans are too good at batting because, they are simply too good, or use too many batting markers, I think the game is painfully easy with the Batting Aerial Marker. If humans bat in the same way for every player in a team then the results are likely to be the same - e.g. since I put away my beloved square drive in test matches for almost every player, strangely, almost every player edges the ball a lot less. Also AI settings might be completely off in terms of bowling deliveries that will produce more edges - by variation, line, length etc.

Pitches, conditions seem to have a some effect on edges but you have to play several matches in varied conditions to really notice the difference and also variation that the game has. Flat pitches are tedious to bowl on but realistic.

In summation. I don't think there is some magic set of modifiers that will make your game like my game or like anyone else because there is too much going on elsewhere that will nullify those changes. The inputs by the human is the biggest factor otherwise how would, quite a lot of us, be having perfectly enjoyable (bar bugs) and varied experiences on default settings?

Humans - increase your difficulty, remove markers.
AI - when you become sentient don't kill us all in an act of revenge for the vicious powerplay bowling that Marshall and Ambrose dished out.

This post didn't start out so passive aggressive but I'm tired, hungry and need to take my medication. :facepalm

I think a lot of people think if they get two green indicators when bowling they are fine. No, you have to release the ball at the last available moment to get plays and misses and edges consistently. Lower the bowling difficulty as well.

I think a lot of people think if they get two green indicators when bowling they are fine. No, you have to release the ball at the last available moment to get plays and misses and edges consistently. Lower the bowling difficulty as well.
I did drop down to Hard from Hardest for bowling - particularly after a few games of not looking at the bowling hud.
I don't know how accurate, or useful, the timing indicators are. I find them more useful now I don't look at the hud but only really for tweaking the timing I get from the bowler run ups.

I don’t know much so feel free to tell me to ‘shut it’. But wouldn’t the edges come more in t20 because you are rushing to score?
If you have the time to leave, or just not feel pressure to play a boundary shot. I would always imagine you would edge less.
Sorry, I’ll get my coat. xx

I actually edged with a forward defensive while batting in a test match yesterday. Can't remember ever seeing that happen even back in DBC17. Went wide of gully so no wicket though.

That doesn’t apply for Xbox version (I play late loads but just miss ball every time)

Edit: are the Xbox and PS4 at the same version patch fix/gameplay improvements wise?

If not I would be interested to see if any Xbox owners edge ball whilst batting or is it just PS4 owners etc..?

I'm on PS4 and can confirm my gameplay experience while batting is pretty much similar to yours. I barely get any edges and even if I get an odd edge they don't feel natural and organic. Sometime the ball passes the bat or the ball simply lobs up for close-in fielders to catch the "edge". If I reduce the reaction time by lowering 'Ball Marker Display Time' and/or by increasing the bowling speed ('Max Speed' modifier), I miss the ball altogether with 'LATE MISS' feedback for Timing. This leads to more dismissals by way of LBWs and bowleds since the reaction time is lowered, you still don't get edges - at least I don't.

But mind you I don't play with 'Pitch Marker' enabled. I'm sticking to 'Ball Marker' way of batting using 'Far Batsman' (behind the batsman) batting camera angle. Who knows batting with pitch markers and Broadcast camera angle leads to more edges as @WealeyH is playing with pitch marker on and with the broadcast camera. I tried playing with pitch marker but abandoned the option as it led me to look at the pitch for pitch marker and not at the ball and bowler's hand while the bowler was running in. Also, for pitch markers it's pretty difficult to bat using behind the batsman camera and you will need to switch your preferred camera to Broadcast.

Edit: I've played Tests, Odis and T20s and have had a similar batting experience. One other point to note - I've the North American version of the game. Who knows if different regions have different versions of the game with different gameplay experience.

Last edited:
PC only, seems like everyone is having different gameplay experience on each system.

I am wondering this - I need to check to see if each system is at the same stage patching wise

. :facepalm

My experiences don't really tally with this. I have batting set to hard or hardest, play AI on legend. I have played on hard and soft pitches, green, dry, dusty pitches etc
When playing shots I have very late, ok early and good timing for all shots played

I would expect drives to be most likely to produces edges, whether that's straight drive, on/off/cover/square etc

However I have batted loads of innings and if I get one edge a match I am lucky

However
  • I have only played test matches so far
  • I use Xbox
  • use OOB teams
  • downloaded no teams or logos etc

I would love people when talking about their edging experiences to also post the format they are playing, the system they are using and levels they are using for batting, bowling and AI to see if a pattern emerges ?

I am wondering this - I need to check to see if each system is at the same stage patching wise

My experiences don't really tally with this. I have batting set to hard or hardest, play AI on legend. I have played on hard and soft pitches, green, dry, dusty pitches etc
When playing shots I have very late, ok early and good timing for all shots played

I would expect drives to be most likely to produces edges, whether that's straight drive, on/off/cover/square etc

However I have batted loads of innings and if I get one edge a match I am lucky

However
  • I have only played test matches so far
  • I use Xbox
  • use OOB teams
  • downloaded no teams or logos etc

I would love people when talking about their edging experiences to also post the format they are playing, the system they are using and levels they are using for batting, bowling and AI to see if a pattern emerges ?

I really don't think there is much point doing all this investigating/tinkering right now. I get more edges than some people seem to but I still think batting needs to be patched to be tougher, so you probably should just wait for that, I doubt there is some magic settings where you will suddenly start getting tough batting.

I really don't think there is much point doing all this investigating/tinkering right now. I get more edges than some people seem to but I still think batting needs to be patched to be tougher, so you probably should just wait for that, I doubt there is some magic settings where you will suddenly start getting tough batting.

don't think you have really got my point tbh.....

Users who are viewing this thread