Australia in New Zealand

Sensation perforance by the Kiwis. Brillant. I knew Cairns would go well. Him and McCullum. Never write off the Kiwis until 10 wickets are down.

Aussies - Lee choker! A no ball, and 4 wides. WTF was that. He is not the leader of our pack, he can have his days but too inconsistent.
Lewis wow, wow, wow - Brillant death bowling. He should have bowled more overs at the death.
Ponting - Funny guy saying he always was going to use Lewis for the last over :rolleyes: His captaincy was pathetic and how could he forget that there was only 3 mem in the circle. Pathetic!
Clarke - Brillantly batting and wow what a throw down to run out McCullum. That was the match winner and guess what the number on his shirt is!

kodos said:
Not quite sure are they the best team ever. This result also shows the reign of them being champions of the world are wiltering. If NZ bat like this consistenly they could easily beat Aus on another day and could pose a real threat for the world cup.

Yes, that is true, They are much weaker than before but they are still able to perform. Someting needs to be done about this bowling line-up though, I think it looked at bit weak and inexperienced with only Lee in there, No McGrath or Tait. Lewis was good, but the rest ..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Symonds was Man of the Match. That was an east choice.

That must be one of the highest ODI totals batting second ever. Especially since we lost the toss. I don't think our team gets enough credit and I am glad we have proven that we are such a great team.

This and 2 of the game sin SOuth Africa (mabee even a third) were ours to win and we stuffed them up. It sucks.

Pontings captaincy was pretty poor. Vettori wasn't that flash either but hes new to the role so I won't be too harsh.

I must say Dar and Bowden's umpiring was top notch and it needed to be. Good to see that.

I agree it was pretty pathetic, but they did bounce back extremely well considering 3 days ago they only score 100 odd. Bad Luck to NZ but it shows that NZ have the ability to beat Australia on the day if they can perform well. More games like this one and the Telstra Dome will make this series much more exciting for the future and matches the Aus, NZ rivalry with the Bledisloe Cup.

Its up there but Aus have the highest ever run chase. They got 330 against SA.

ODIs - Highest Team Totals Batting Second

Based on all matches up to and including
ODI #2301: New Zealand v Australia at Auckland, Chappell-Hadlee Trophy 1st ODI, 3 Dec 2005

Totals of 290 Batting Second and won

330-7 (49.1 overs) Australia v South Africa Port Elizabeth 2001/02
326-8 (49.3 overs) India v England Lord's 2002
325-5 (47.4 overs) India v West Indies Ahmedabad 2002/03
319-7 (48 overs) Pakistan v India Ahmedabad 2004/05
316-7 (47.5 overs) India v Pakistan Dhaka 1997/98
cricinfo

Lucky said:
Yes, that is true, They are much weaker than before but they are still able to perform. Someting needs to be done about this bowling line-up though, I think it looked at bit weak and inexperienced with only Lee in there, No McGrath or Tait. Lewis was good, but the rest ..... :rolleyes:

Hey Clark was better than Lee. :) Lewis has to go to the WC after this performance. I don't trust Lee at the death.

And to think for the third match we are going to have Fleming and Bond stroll back into the team. I think Franklin is a definate replacement and McMillan has to be the other one. I say try Astle at 3, then again mabe Vincent.

I say:

Fleming
Astle
Vincent
Marshall (H)
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
Marshall (J) or McMillan as the super sub

Id say Marshall should probably get it over McMillan but only just.

Lewis was good but too bad he is 31 and a half years of age. Clark bowled pretty well but i still don't think he has the talent to trouble the major nations such as india and south africa. Lee was absolutely terrible and is a crap of a bowler if he concedes 10 runs of 1 over. Ponting captaincy was also terrible. Replace him with Mike Hussey. :)

Lewis should stay in ahead of Bracken. As I thought when Batsmen want to take runs of him he is easy pickings. That death bowling will come in handy also.

Not sure if he's got a mention but did anyone think that Brad Hodge might just be the mole?

Hodge isn't looking good. Cairns set him up quite well really. Was a good piece of bowling.

Really when you think about it, Michael Clarke won that match for Australia. lewis was bowling well and not giving away 2s or 4s but if that had of missed the stumps I rekon we would of at least tied.

McMillan was the weak link in our batting. Him, Astle and Marshall (however he was EXTREMLY unlucky. The ball just didn't bounce)

Last edited:
Well Lewis did all he could. Its not like he had 20 odd runs with 12 ball remaining *cough* Lee. Lewis is a great death bowler and he bowled well early. Brillant!

Hodge get him out of this side. What a nuffy. I still can't understand how he got picked for ODIs. Yes for test, No for ODIs. Its reflected in his ING cup stats.

Imagine if they had of taken Cameron White. That would of changed things.

The rules are stupid. You got wickets and a game winning last over. We got 6 runs. Important runs I guess but take them both away and we were better off.

Lol. As I said in the other thread, Ponting may not mind them so much now.

As I said White wasn't ready for this situation. Somebody is too lazy to use him and give him experience. If he sucks then drop him but hes getting no games so we can't drop him. And the selectors obviously see something so he will always be picked.

irottev said:
And to think for the third match we are going to have Fleming and Bond stroll back into the team. I think Franklin is a definate replacement and McMillan has to be the other one. I say try Astle at 3, then again mabe Vincent.

I say:

Fleming
Astle
Vincent
Marshall (H)
Styris
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond
Marshall (J) or McMillan as the super sub

Id say Marshall should probably get it over McMillan but only just.

Good side, lets see what Bond can do.

Well I sure hope he does bowl well. Hes had a bit of a break and I would be kind of embarrised if he under performed. I am sure he will do well for his home crowd ;)

After that match, despite the series being gone, I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread