Australia in New Zealand

What's the deal with James Marshall...how did he warrant a selection in the national team? I know he was picked on potential like his brother Hamish (who's coming back down to Earth after his flourishing start to his career), but he just isn't up to International standard.

Good win by the Aussies and a great debut by Mick Lewis who is sure to start next game.

Hundreds don't count for too much in ODIs, but that phenomenal hundred in the World Cup was a turning point for Symonds, he improved tenfold after that. He is still a very unsettled player early on, though.

Astle, Styris, McMillan, Marshall brothers all did nothing again. I especially love the way aussies realise them their true potential- mediocre at best and that double-hundred by Astle was a fluke, one can quote me on that.
On the other hand it felt good to see Cairns and NZ getting a taste of their own medicine. I remember that hundred by Cairns against India when he took NZ from 189 in 40th over to 300 in 50. As the commentator also said' " He has been doing the same thing to bowlers aound the world and now getting a taste of his own medicine. He must be saying to Symonds, how did you hit that one, you were supposed to mis-time it." "He can actually take some time off his bowling to go and remove that boundary rope."

Yeh i heard that too, God symonds was top edgeing them for six and bottom edges!

Wht do u guys think about Lou Vincent .. He seems to be coming of age now ..

Started off with a debut test century .. Lost form .. His place in the side .. And is making some serious scores in one dayers recently.

Did brilliantly against the Proteans and also played a few cameos in the tri series in Zimbabwe. This innings today definitely sets him up for bigger things in the future.

Lee has gone home.
http://uk.cricinfo.com/nzvaus/content/story/228884.html

And Australia's 25 contracted players rated Bowden as worst umpire. Surprised to see Koertzen as their favourite umpire. But I guess there isn't much choice left.

Bowden voted worst elite umpire
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/228885.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

And there were some more close matches between Australia and New Zealand

Close finishes between Australia and New Zealand
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/nzvaus/content/story/228876.html

abaddon_67 said:
Wht do u guys think about Lou Vincent .. He seems to be coming of age now ..

Started off with a debut test century .. Lost form .. His place in the side .. And is making some serious scores in one dayers recently.

Did brilliantly against the Proteans and also played a few cameos in the tri series in Zimbabwe. This innings today definitely sets him up for bigger things in the future.

This year has been a great one. Since that 170 against Zim/Banga he has been in good form. If he comes of he is lethal as we saw today. I don't know about him in test match cricket, might by alright.

On Lee I didn't see that coming, I hope he gets well and is ready to terrorise SA.
Clark will lead our attack with Bracken and Lewis first change.
My team
Gilly
Katich
Ponting
Hodge
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
White
Bracken
Lewis
Clark
Supersub Hogg

siddharth2002 said:
Astle, Styris, McMillan, Marshall brothers all did nothing again. I especially love the way aussies realise them their true potential- mediocre at best and that double-hundred by Astle was a fluke, one can quote me on that.
On the other hand it felt good to see Cairns and NZ getting a taste of their own medicine. I remember that hundred by Cairns against India when he took NZ from 189 in 40th over to 300 in 50. As the commentator also said' " He has been doing the same thing to bowlers aound the world and now getting a taste of his own medicine. He must be saying to Symonds, how did you hit that one, you were supposed to mis-time it." "He can actually take some time off his bowling to go and remove that boundary rope."

GODDAMN THIS COMPUTER!!!! I went reply twice and I lost my 2 paragraphs both times. Now im FURIOUS.

You, shut up, what position are you in to say Astles 200 was a fluke. You make your national team and score 200. How can that be a fluke?

Astle and McMillan havn't performed. This might be their last chance to perform. Styris and Marshall played vital roles in the run chase. Styris hasn't had the best of luck and Marshall has had absolutly NO luck. He went out in this instance to a delivery which almost rolled down the pitch after it pitched it bounced so little.

Now onto James Marshall not being suitable, I agree. But what can we do? As I already said we don't have a huge pool of players to just yank a player with experiance and lots of wickets and lots of runs and throw them in.

Harris would make a perfect replacement in my opinion. Ok so hes getting old. If hes the supersub he can come in in both situations. To chase a total, as hes a very good run chasing batsman and also a handy bowler for defending runs.

I think Astle will stay in the team. He is still one of their best batsman but is just running into a patch. Can't believe James Marshall is in the team, they should of chose Papps or maybe even Chris Harris.
Brett Lee is gone and that will certainly relieve the kiwis and it could be a bonus for Aus in the sense that he may concede 85 runs again in 10 overs :)

kodos said:
Sando mate, can't i have a say in the forums?? Why are you the only one who gets frustrated and not others. I said it was a fantastic game but new zealand were very close. I know how you feel about your beloved australia so i won't provoke you anymore.

Also how about the Aussies who always criticise England for their losses in Pakistan just because they beat the Aussies in the Ashes. Isn't that pretty ridiculous just because of one series.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is why we all come here, to discuss/debate the game we love. It's just that your opinion is always entirely predictable, and always anti Australian. This I can understand. Any team that enjoys such a sustained period of dominance will always breed biterness against them. Nevertheless, I personally find it frustrating when you come out with such nonsensical comments as Brett Lee being 'crap', Ponting an ordinary captain... heck, at one point or another, you've labeled every Australian representative as not up to standard/over the hell, usually unjustly given all the facts.

About the Ashes defeat. There shouldn't be an Aussie defeat out there that can't congratulate the England side on an excellent series win, there's no two ways about that. That doesn't mean that we can't point out to some fans that were claiming England were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Australia a spent force, that a comprehensive series loss to a lowly ranked and to this point disorganised Pakistan suggest England aren't quite all that just yet....

I'm not going to debate the point any further, I respect the fact that you have an opinion, but to this point yours has in my opinion been nothing more than an attempt to slander every aspect of Australian cricket. That frustrates me.

Have a nice day :) .

edit: good to see Lee heading home, all that's left to do in this series is give the fringe bowlers some ODI experience. That might prevent CA from the doing the right thing and giving Gilly a rest though (for PR reasons), he definately deserves a rest, and his performances haven't been close to his excellent standards in recent history.

Last edited:
Hey guys, haven't posted here for a while, the forum must have just about doubled in members since i was last active!

well anyway, i only saw highlights of Symonds innings on the news (still begging my parents for foxtel) but some of those shots were unreal, pure power hitting. It was good to see that New Zealand actually got close to the score, gees their lucky mcgrath wasn't playing, i doubt they would have hit him over fence like that!

Well done to Symonds on a superb knock and also to Mick Lewis for a good debut.

Keep a watch out for a new pace bowler for Victoria- Peter Siddle (lol, just saying that because he plays for my club :) )

Lee was crap this game, but that happens. Still not convinced on him bowling at the death. His pace means if he strays a bit offline he will go to the boundary. He doesn't have the McGrath control that is needed for the death. Lewis, Clark and McGrath should be our death bowlers in the future.

irottev said:
GODDAMN THIS COMPUTER!!!! I went reply twice and I lost my 2 paragraphs both times. Now im FURIOUS.

You, shut up, what position are you in to say Astles 200 was a fluke. You make your national team and score 200. How can that be a fluke?
O yeah, that was a fluke alright. He moved and came down the stumps so many times against pace bowlers and stupid english kept on bowling those length balls. And in a place like NZ where the grounds are smaller than my house's backyard anything in the air will go for a six. I have seen Astle for 8 years and noticed this about him. Even Kasprowicz got better of him when AUS were here last year. Tell me whats he done lately to merit his selection.
I know you feel strongly but I also feel for NZ after been here for 4 years, Its second home for me. I am also dissappointed for loss yesterday. And just can't bear those 4-5 batsmen in the team. Its not just what I say, I've heard a lot of people say it here in NZ.

Last edited:
Astle has been one of our best batsmen ever. The stats show that.

I agree with you though. The players you mentioned need to stand up. I just can't imagine who you would replace Astle with. I mean replacing 5 batsmen isn't easy when we don't have many on the fringe.

Users who are viewing this thread