Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

Brilliant win by the boys. Smith can't bat in odi's but he is still the man when it comes to test cricket.:D

I'm no expert on Australian cricket but the batting definitely needs a tweak, maybe time to drop Haddin too?

I'd give Cummins a shot in the next test, he definitely looks promising.

Even if we wanted to make changes we only got 1 batter and he looks to be replacing our 2nd best batsmen. Oh how fun that 2nd test will be.

Yeah, not a lot we can do batting-wise with that squad unfortunately, except maybe leave a few guys behind when we return home. Best case scenario is Marsh is fit and Khawaja comes in for Ponting, but that's never going to happen.

Yeah, not a lot we can do batting-wise with that squad unfortunately, except maybe leave a few guys behind when we return home.

To be honest, losing a lot was that bottom. Changed captain, had a review that changed the entire management and selection structure.

I can't believe we went with our Ashes fast bowling attack. Didn't we learn anything from that series? But in fairness this match was not their fault. For once. Johnson should be dropped though. I can't believe Bollinger is not in the squad. The batting look shonky. Give Hughes 2-3 more tests against good fast bowling (India and NZ don't count) and if he can't prosper then he should go play county cricket. Hussey had a one off. Ponting, legendary as he is, should play as much 4 day cricket in between tests as possible to have good form. Marsh should stay at 3. Honestly, "rest Ponting" and play Khawaja. Drop Johnson and chuck in Copeland. Maybe swap Lyon for Cummins (Jo burg is a fast bowling paradise). And Watto at 6. My side:

Khawaja
Hughes
Marsh
Hussey
Clark
Watson
Haddin
Siddle
Harris
Cummins
Copeland

If Marsh is out then stick Clarke at 3, place Marsh's replacement in the middle order.

My 1st test review

Australia

I remember seeing AUS bowling out Windies for 51 in Port-of-Spain 1999, England routing West Indies for 47 @ Kingston 04, along with a few others over the last 15 years. But for some reason the I personally don't think its a performance worth panicking over.

To me its like when ENG were bowled out for 51 @ Kingston 2009, it was just one of those days in test history when a bowling attack had everything going their way.

AUS have been playing good cricket since Clarke took over and i expect a better batting performance in the second test. But it does show AUS batting line-up is still susceptible to quality quick bowling and it is why again dropping Katich remains a terrible decision.

Brad Haddin needs a innings of substance in the second test or else he should lose his test place for the opening home season test vs Kiwis.

However I continue to have faith in Ponting. I concur with his notion pre-test, that he is hitting them well, but just isn't getting the luck out in the middle.

Mitchell Johnson on the other hand does not need any more backing. All the hype about bowling in the warm up and his test match effort was the same frustrating inconsistency. He can't be a fixture in the test XI anymore, Bollinger has to come in, since Young Cummins although he is being fast-tracked isn't better than Doug ATM.

If conditions in Jo'Burg are similar to this test, AUS should seriously consider going in with an all-pace attack, since SA is one place in the world when the conditions are so pace-bowler friendly, a spinner becomes a bit useless.

South Africa

Dont think they played all that great. Except for when they routed AUS for 47 and the wicket got flat during the 4th innings chase, AUS generally kept them in check.

I criticized Philander heavily before the first test as another random, without merit, quota, black selection - over the form white player Ryan McClaren. But he looks like he could certainly be a useful swing-bowling for the Proteas.

He makes far more sense that Lopsy in the test XI, at least in home conditions. However when S Africa go overseas, Philander will be tested and the SA third seamer problem could be exposed again, but it will be interesting to see how he develops down the line.

Last edited:
Freekin Hilarious. I love it when Australia gets humiliated, pity I had to work even though I work about 10 minutes from Newlands.

Absolutely shocking from Australia....I think Haddin needs to be dropped immediately, if I were an Aussie I would sign a petition to have him Deported, thats how shocking it was. Senseless and selfish.

We played well though, despite all the "oh SA had all the conditions in their favour and we had none", whatever. We pitched the ball up, got movement, held our catches - and Australia did the rest.

Very impressed, not a fan of Smith and never will be but he batted well. Glad to see Hashim make good on his 1st Innings flop, and most of all Im glad we showed some guts in the second innings. Usually we have a way of "snatching depeat from the jaws of victory" but today we killed off the Aussies the way they did when they had a good team about a decade ago.

Still not sold on Philander though, not convinced that he did too much with the ball, maybe the Aussies over complicated it as they missed a number of straight ones.

Yeah, not a lot we can do batting-wise with that squad unfortunately, except maybe leave a few guys behind when we return home. Best case scenario is Marsh is fit and Khawaja comes in for Ponting, but that's never going to happen.

If Marsh is fit, the team will be unchanged. What can Clarke do? He can't drop Punter for Khawaja regardless of how sensible that would be. He would care too much for his image to do that, and in this case, I don't blame him.

Hughes scored a ton on the Premadasa road last match so he can't drop him either.

It will be the bowlers that will carry the can for the batsmen's failures. As they always do. But in this case, I'm more than happy for Johnson to just go and not come back. At least we'll get one win out of the debacle.

SA really deserved that match as soon as the Aussies were shot out for 47 and I don't even feel that bad about the loss due to that pathetic collapse.

----------

Even if we wanted to make changes we only got 1 batter and he looks to be replacing our 2nd best batsmen. Oh how fun that 2nd test will be.

IF the Saffers have any brains they'll turn out another green top, but a road will ensure the series for them anyway. And that will have all our lairy batsmen a lot more in their comfort zone so they can say that the collapse was a one off.

The main thing due to which Aussies may be struggling is the squad selected. How can Katich, Bollinger & Hilfenhaus be left out? And I don't know much about inner problems in Cricket Australia, but I want to ask any Aussie to tell why Nathan Hauritz is not been selected?

I've just seen the highlights of the 1st day of this match and it sparks yet another debate about the bad light rule in Tests.

Cameras light up the scene, yes, but Mike Haysman seemed genuinely shocked they were going off, and we see it time and time again. It is not the fault of the umpires because they have their hands tied by the rule book. They are being made to look silly by dragging the players off when there was a real tasty situation in the game.

I would still advocate getting rid of the digital light meters. There's nothing better than the human eyes and common sense to decide when it is safe or unsafe for play. That, also, should be the only factor to take the players off. Safety.

i never got a chance to see this, I was at work and watched it on cricinfo.

did chappell do the commentary, did he spend the whole chase going "just two quick wickets..."?

The main thing due to which Aussies may be struggling is the squad selected. How can Katich, Bollinger & Hilfenhaus be left out? And I don't know much about inner problems in Cricket Australia, but I want to ask any Aussie to tell why Nathan Hauritz is not been selected?

Nathan Hauritz is recovering from injury.

Katich will never play for Australia again, his contract was not renewed (if you are interested in following the story around that just google appropriate words like 'Katich dumped' or something like that. There's plenty to read if you are interested in Aus cricket politics and media.)

Hilfenhaus has been cast out into the southern wilderness for not taking wickets or making the batsmen play enough. And with any luck, Johnson might be thrown out into the western branch of that same extensive wilderness.

Bollinger was on the selector's ???? list for reasons of fitness or lack of. Or just some made up reason as to why they don't really want him near the test team, I've never been sure why and you can bet he isn't either.

Users who are viewing this thread