Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

did chappell do the commentary, did he spend the whole chase going "just two quick wickets..."?

When I was watching we had the SA commentators. And let's just say they were shocking, from saying Johnson was a little off him game to saying he was excellent in SL.

IF the Saffers have any brains they'll turn out another green top, but a road will ensure the series for them anyway. And that will have all our lairy batsmen a lot more in their comfort zone so they can say that the collapse was a one off.

Some questions need to be asked of the batting, we have been bowled out for under 100 three times in our past 12 test, Bangladesh haven't been bowled out under 100 in over 4 years.

If conditions in Jo'Burg are similar to this test, AUS should seriously consider going in with an all-pace attack, since SA is one place in the world when the conditions are so pace-bowler friendly, a spinner becomes a bit useless.

Drop our best batsman?! (Nathan Lyon)

We played well though, despite all the "oh SA had all the conditions in their favour and we had none", whatever.

That's precisely what we were all saying :rolleyes

IF the Saffers have any brains they'll turn out another green top, but a road will ensure the series for them anyway. And that will have all our lairy batsmen a lot more in their comfort zone so they can say that the collapse was a one off.

Agree with everything else you said and for the sake of our future, I hope it is another green wicket so our batting weaknesses are exposed again. No flat-track hundreds to prolong any careers please.

i never got a chance to see this, I was at work and watched it on cricinfo.

did chappell do the commentary, did he spend the whole chase going "just two quick wickets..."?

Border was the only Aus commentator I saw and I think he was too busy smashing things to even get into the box.

Main thing coming out of the media is playing Cummins. Given how Johnson is going Cummins certainly can't be any worse. Copeland does seem to have been forgotten in all this though.

If Marsh is injured I wouldn't bother with a replacement unless they plan on playing him. Would hate to see Warner miss a Shield match for a free trip to SA.

When I was watching we had the SA commentators. And let's just say they were shocking, from saying Johnson was a little off him game to saying he was excellent in SL.

Yeah I had no idea what was going on there, I think it was Wessels or Haysman saying Johnson was superb in SL when he ended up taking about 5 wickets all series. Wtf are they watching??

In the big picture, it's funny looking at the different reactions to this loss and the different reasons that are being summoned for the big collapse. Most of it is reactionary rubbish. For example:
*singling out players like Ponting, Haddin, Hughes and Johnson that need to be dropped ASAP - despite the very positive vibe that came off Australia's performances in SL, one bad Test later and many are ready to replace half the side :noway
*mentioning all the T20 cricket being played these days and how it's affecting crease occupation - despite the fact that half the team aren't T20 whores (no IPL for Ponting, Hughes, Clarke, Johnson, Lyon and Siddle) :noway
*mentioning the lack of experience in conditions against the moving ball - despite the fact that apart from Hughes and Marsh the top 7 is very experienced. On top of that, the Shield curators were criticised last season for creating 'result' pitches ie. ones that favoured bowlers. Now they want more experience against the moving ball??
*talking about batting orders and everyone man and his dog seems to have a theory about where Shane Watson should bat

The reality is that not much will change for the next Test. The squad has been selected, it's a squad that won in SL and had an almost 200 run after the 1st innings of this last Test. The other reality is that there can't be big sweeping changes for this Test as it's Hilditch's last before the new panel comes in. It would be ridiculous for him to make important changes eg. a new keeper, dropping Johnson, recalling Katich as it would just place extra pressure on the new panel when they start in a couple of weeks. Plus, they are changes that the new panel may not agree with and might be reversed straight away making Hilditch look like a further nong.

Oh and just to add a thought. Would have loved to see Mitch open up on the last day from one end when Aus needed wickets. He'd only bowled a handful of overs by the time Smith and Amla were well set and most were the night before. Also would have loved to see Lyon get an earlier crack at Smith. He got 1 over at him eventually and Smith didn't look particularly comfortable, but I'm afraid Lyon was basically ignored on that last morning.

The way the Lankans have been playing, the wins there don't mean a whole lot.
Hughes century in the final innings when everyone was scoring runs wasn't particularly inspiring, but Katich's chances are nil anyway.
Haddin chipped in with some 30's in the same test but otherwise has done nothing and plays ridiculous shots regardless of the match situation.
Ponting got a couple of starts as usual, the only positive was missing the second test for Marsh.
Johnson wasn't terrible, but hasn't looked close to Harris or Watson. Would like to see Copeland, Cummins or Bollinger instead.

Johnson finished the SL series averaging 50, we cannot keep waiting for him to produce that one magical spell every 10 games. Consistency is what we need and that is what makes SA and England's bowling attacks stand out.

Also we have lost the classic Australian never give up attitude. On the numerous occasions where either our bowlers or batsmen have let us down the response is rarely good. From the 4th innings of this match to the Boxing day test where England rolled us for 98, we didn't put up a fight. In comparison SA who got rolled for 96 and were trailing by 190 odd runs sent shock waves across the globe There was no giving up from their bowlers. Now if the roles were reversed I am certain SA wouldn't have been 21/9.

I don't blame you, the way the commentators were going on about his excellent series in SL you'd think he was averaging 15.

Haddin, Johnson, Siddle were completely useless. Especially Johnson. BRING in copeland and cummins. I cannot believe Australia were bowled out for 47. I don't think anyone will be not surprised with that.

It's like when Johnson tore Sth Africa apart last time. We got the taste of it. And we can't put up with it.

Who decided that Phil Hughes was an opening batsman? He looks more like a counter-attacking number 6 to me. It was a pretty good delivery Hughes got out to and better players than him would lose their wicket so early in the innings to that. I'm not saying his technique is perfect and I don't think I have been an apologist for him before.

When you compare how some threw their wickets away, I think he is less guilty. Agree about Kwhaja but he is a victim of the fact that he can play anywhere in the order but Hughes is perceived as an opener.

Haddin chipped in with some 30's in the same test but otherwise has done nothing and plays ridiculous shots regardless of the match situation.

Haddin keeps well but he plays some strange shots at times, his 2nd innings dismissal was awful batting. England were quite ruthless with Hoggard & Ian Bell and it worked. Australia need to make some tough decisions too.

Users who are viewing this thread