Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

Not sure whether it's posted here or not that interestingly SA needed 111 to win at 11:11 AM local time on 11/11/11

379399_252133298169265_181562118559717_606318_1522054114_n.jpg

a bit rich considering the par target at newlands has been about 420 in the current era

At that rate, they would of scored 700 runs + in the 4th innings...

Also, what about Khawaja?? Why not just slot him in? Why haul Warner from Australia?

Khawaja probably will play while Warner sits on the sidelines not playing for his state :facepalm

Maybe they'll surprise us and name Hughes, Warner, Khawaja, Clarke, Hussey, Watson as the top 6.

Not sure whether it's posted here or not that interestingly SA needed 111 to win at 11:11 AM local time on 11/11/11

That was awesome moment. I was watching TV while this happened...

Khawaja probably will play while Warner sits on the sidelines not playing for his state :facepalm

Maybe they'll surprise us and name Hughes, Warner, Khawaja, Clarke, Hussey, Watson as the top 6.

Nah, they did this to him in SL. It's bloody silly, you can't tell me he's got buckley's of being in the starting line-up unless someone has been humungously brave and told 'the best batsman since Bradman, blah, blah,' that he's sitting this one out.

At that rate, they would of scored 700 runs + in the 4th innings...

Also, what about Khawaja?? Why not just slot him in? Why haul Warner from Australia?

Nah, they did this to him in SL. It's bloody silly, you can't tell me he's got buckley's of being in the starting line-up unless someone has been humungously brave and told 'the best batsman since Bradman, blah, blah,' that he's sitting this one out.

It's to cover sudden injuries. If a batsman breaks his finger in the warmups, they'd have to pick Copeland, and move Mitch up to #7. On the 2009 SA tour, Marcus North went down with gastro the day before the 3rd Test and there was no reserve batsman, so Haddin and McDonald had to move up a spot each. It's a scenario you want to avoid if possible.

You can't make wholesale changes mid-tour.

Exactly. This squad did well in SL, and one poor performance doesn't mean a panic. If you start cutting players after one loss, you end up with reactionary selections that make all the players scared that their head will be chopped off every time they fail.

No matter what excuses the experts come up with, that 47 was all about the performance of the players - pitiful. You have to have faith as a selector/fan/whoever that performances will improve in the 2nd Test.

Its official....Warner on the plane...Marsh out.....
I hope Warner doesn't play. He's not a FC and/or Test player. He is suited to hitting big and scoring quick runs through the aid of boundaries.

He scored that 148 in the FC game recently, but other than that, he hasn't played since before October. Bring Khawaja in. Pat Cummins isn't ready (and that's bold since I know him in real life).

:lol

Did they do a minute's silence on the field?

The clock at the top says 11:12, but yeah it was a funny coincidence.
No need to ruin it. :p

Last edited:
I have seen two articles on Matthew Wade being a probable replacement for Haddin. One comparing his form to Gilchrist's before he got his chance and one with quotes from Micky Arthur bigging him up a bit, which is important with Arthur being favourite for the head coaching job.

Australia (probable): 1 Shane Watson, 2 Phillip Hughes, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Ricky Ponting, 5 Michael Clarke (capt), 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Ryan Harris, 10 Pat Cummins, 11 Nathan Lyon

South Africa v Australia, 2nd Test, Johannesburg: Can Australia bury the Newlands nightmare? | Cricket News | South Africa v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

Surprised cricinfo didn't take the safe road like our selectors usually do and name an unchanged bowling lineup. Pretty rough on Siddle if this is the case, Johnson get's away with so much crap. Also looks like Copeland won't be seen at all which is a shame as these conditions would have given him most help and tested if he was ready for this level.

I wouldn't think it would be all that bad if both Siddle and Johnson were dropped for Copeland and Cummins. You have got to be kidding if Johnson gets selected again, Australia simply can't move forward with him in the team anymore. In saying this, he'll probably take a 10fer this test but then he'll be horrible the next nine

----------

I really don't know why Lyon is being played tbh. Its SA anyway not like you're going to get many overs out of him you're pretty much just playing him for the sake of having a spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread