Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Aus test, SA odi series

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
i recon Ben Hilfenhaus should be taken in the test squad! ive been looking through scorecards from this seasons Pura Cup and Hilfenhaus has alot of wickets, and just about all are caught behind, bowled or lbw!!...thats a very good sign and he's only 22. Pretty economical too.

no doubt the selectors will take four pacemen...alot will rest on whether or not McGrath is available.

Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath/Shaun Tait
Nathan Bracken

but i think Hilfenhaus and Dorey are definately worth consideration from my findings.

Knowing the selectors it will be McGrath/Johnson.
But I wouldn't mind either of those 2 mentioned above. Dorey seems more likely given he has been tried in ODIs and the fact the selectors don't give free baggy greens away.

Hilfenhaus is a good bowler but still has alot to do, look at some of the players that have taken years to break into the side. If he proves to be consistent over the next few seasons then yes he will be a strong contender.

James219 said:
Hilfenhaus is a good bowler but still has alot to do, look at some of the players that have taken years to break into the side. If he proves to be consistent over the next few seasons then yes he will be a strong contender.

I hate Hilfenhaus, lol..

Only because I went to school with him from grade 5 to 10..

genghis_khan said:
lol im guessing u werent friends...

he's a promising bowler nonetheless

Nope, far from it.

I also use to play cricket against him, we had 2 teams in our school. I use to smash him all over the place, lol...

FORMER Test great Mark Waugh has rejected chairman of selectors, Trevor Hohns' reasons for omitting prolific NSW batsman Phil Jaques from the tour of South Africa.

Hohns' four-man selection panel last week cited Jaques' poor fielding as the underlying reason for his failure to tour.

But Waugh slammed it as a "lame excuse".

"I think his performances have been outstanding and I think it's a bit of a lame excuse to say his fielding isn't up to scratch," Waugh said. "I think his fielding is adequate enough to hold a spot in the team."

Former Test captain Mark Taylor also questioned Hohns' assessment of Jaques.

"I think at the end of the day Jaques has missed out because there just isn't room in the team," Taylor said.

"I really don't think his fielding is the main reason he's missed out. I think the chairman of selectors has tried to make a point of it, which probably goes for all of Australia's cricketers."

The powerful Jaques has created a stir this summer with six centuries for NSW while also claiming the prestigious state player of the year award.

The 26-year-old was considered an ideal selection for the tour that could be used as perfect grounding for the 2007 World Cup.

Former England captain and Channel Nine commentator Tony Greig believes Jaques should demand answers from the selectors in order to rectify his supposed flaws.

"They obviously have had to come up with something," Greig said of Hohns' offering last week.

"What I would be doing if I was Jaques is asking the selectors to be a bit more specific," Greig said. "I'd want to know what is exactly the problem."

The Sunday Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18191785-23212,00.html

Spot on from Waugh, Taylor and Grieg. What Taylor said was what Hohns should have said. There just is no room for Jaques.

Yep agreed, there's no point lying to the public about it, especially with an excuse like that. Next they'll be announcing his injury or something.

ajay2k5 said:
Nope, far from it.

I also use to play cricket against him, we had 2 teams in our school. I use to smash him all over the place, lol...

why arent u batting no.3 for Tasmania then? :)

This is the kind of thing that can kill a guys hopes.
He has an outstanding season makes the top team and almost gets a century.

Leaves him thinking no matter what i do i cant get in the team.
Lets hope it makes him want to work even harder and demand selection.
But more than likely he will struggle to keep motivated and return to mediocracy.

Jaques isn't a average player. He will continue making the runs just like Hayden, Lehmann and Hussey. I'm sure he has looked at their careers and got motivation from them.

Spot on, he's not going to give up now. Obviously he's very disappointed and this has possibly reflected in his last few innings (having said that he scored a century in grade on saturday) but he's a class player and wants his spot back, he's already got a taste for playing in the Australian side. He's got a great Domestic record and definitely isn't going to throw that away, he's already shown his character by the way he's improved his game. Actually I don't think it's too late either for the WC. It was a very poor decision not selecting him for the tour of SA and could have been invaluable experience, but the upcoming VB Series, in terms of one-day cricket, is a pretty long tournament and despite it being so close to the WC, will be pretty good for him if selected for most of the games.

Last edited:
The squad for the 20-overs international is: Graeme Smith (captain), Loots Bosman, AB de Villiers, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Hall, Justin Kemp, Neil McKenzie, Makhaya Ntini, Justin Ontong, Robin Peterson, Roger Telemachus, Thandi Tshabalala, Johan van der Wath.

The squad for the first three one-day internationals is: Graeme Smith (captain), Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, Boeta Dippenaar, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Hall, Justin Kemp, Charl Langeveldt, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Shaun Pollock, Ashwell Prince, Johan van der Wath.

Users who are viewing this thread