Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
genghis_khan said:
yeh i'll have to see it before i believe it as well
Watson is supposedly more of a batsman, but the times ive seen him at international test level...he has looked very average at the crease.

I agree his batting hasn't looked very impressive. In particular against the spinners. I haven't seen enough of him against the pacemen cause he doesn't stay in long enough.

MWaugh said:
bringing through the young players should be done with the likes of mcgrath around though. if you bring a young bowler (like bracken or clark) through with mcgrath in the side they can feed off him and it takes that little bit of pressure off them as they learn how to play at the top level.

Clark and Bracken are both 29 aren't they?

I think he'll develop, he's only young and with that sort of first-class average he'll soon start to come to terms with the international game, you can't just neglect one of the best allrounders in the country.
And yes Clark is 30 and Bracken 29. He may have been referring to them being young and inexperienced at the absolute top level, not sure.

Last edited:
there young compared to mcgrath,gisseppie,bichel and kasper.

If s.a. is good for swing bowlers then bracken needs to play.

James219 said:
Gillespie is only 30.

Lol how things have changed, 30 use to be the age which was called old. Now I would say it is the age to make your debut. Any later than 30 the selectors shouldn't be think of. 30 is about perfect cause the players can have about 5 years at the top level, and hopefully by then we have some young guys ready but if not we can bring the 25 year olds (who will be 30 in 5 years) to make their debut.

I know that's how different it seems to be these days, few players make test debuts at 20, Tait would be the youngest at 22 for quite a few years. Gillespie has alot of experience at the top level so he knows what to do as opposed to bringing in plenty of other 30 year olds with not as much behind them, and I feel that around about this time if selected again should be reaching his peak, as that is often the age.

the ODIs will be interesting in more ways than one...
Both teams will don prodominantly dark green kits, i mean it wont make a difference but it will still look a bit weird.

We all know what Gillepsie can do...look at the tour of India in Oct. 2004, he was a huge part in australia's rare win in India. I think the selectors would be mad to ignore Dizzy for the test squad.

MWaugh said:
who mentioned anything about tests?
Nobody.

However, I am interested to know why he finds the idea of two teams playing in the same colour weird, when we've had more than 200 years of two teams playing in the same colour in first class and test cricket, without anyone ever saying that was weird.

So it's a PRO20 match, not a Twenty20? Is this just a matter of licensing in South Africa? Does it mean different things?

angryangy said:
So it's a PRO20 match, not a Twenty20? Is this just a matter of licensing in South Africa? Does it mean different things?
It's the same thing. The South African domestic league is called the Pro20 series. South Africa are allowed to use the Twenty20 name, the trademark is only active in the EU.

After seeing Clark bowl in the VB series I question how effective he will be in the test arena. Bracken is good if its swinging but there is also question marks how he will do after the swing. Definitely worrying signs for Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread