Story Australia: New Coach and a New Era

carn tigez

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
New Aussie Coach Appointed
The Australian cricket team are under new leadership with Shane Warne being appointed head coach of the side just weeks after his retirement from international cricket.

The shock appointment came within days of the sacking of John Buchanan after he was caught trying to smuggle marijuana into the country.

Warne is looking forward to the prospect of leading the side, and has already guaranteed that Ponting will stay captain in an interview following his appointment.

Here is an extract from Warne's interview with the reporter:

"I am honoured to have the opportunity to lead this great side, something I wanted to do in my playing days but was not given the opportunity. I'm glad the man who denied me that chance is now behind bars, the general public finally realising that not making me captain was nothing short of criminal."

Reporter: "Shane, he is actually in jail for drug smuggling and the general public tend to agree with Buchanan in that you should never have been captain."

Warne: "Mate at the end of the day, you're a dick head."

The interview ended at this point with Warne receiving a text message and leaving the room.

The Australian team are excited at the prospect of being led by such a champion of the game.

Warne will start his campaign in the coming test and one day tour of the West Indies.

haha gold. Bringing drugs into the country? Yep sounds like Buchanan, or should that be Warnie? :p hmm interesting.... haha

Good start to the story mate, looking forward to future updates

Australia Announces Tour Squad

Phil Jaques
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting (c)
Mike Hussey
Simon Katich
Michael Clarke (vc)
Marcus North
Brad Haddin
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
James Hopes
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Shaun Tait
Stuart MacGill
Ben Hilfenhaus
Nathan Bracken

Shane Warne on the squad: "We have gone for a bit of a mix between youth and experience here with a few of the older blokes on what might be their last tour. Dizzy Gillespie was unlucky to miss out, and there were a few other guys just out of the squad as well. Phil Hughes was considered but we decided to wait until he has a few more games under his belt first, and Pomersbach and White were very unlucky. The squad looks fairly strong and we should definitely be aiming to win both the test and one day series. Ricky Ponting will lead the boys backed up by Michael Clarke, but there is plenty of experience in the squad to help out the younger guys."

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if Warnie can keep a hold on Symonds behaviour. Or both of them will stick together and run a riot :p

Will be interesting to see if Warnie can keep a hold on Symonds behaviour. Or both of them will stick together and run a riot :p

Haha wouldn't surprise me, might find a few non cricket related updates in this story :D

carn tigez added 9 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Australia v Guyana: 3 Day Friendly

Pitch: Poor for Bowlers, Very Poor for Spin​

Team​
Phil Jaques
Matthew Hayden
Michael Clarke (c)
Mike Hussey (vc)
Marcus North
Andrew Symonds
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Stuart MacGill

Warne on Team: We are going into this match with the aim of getting the players a bit of match experience, and winning is not a priority. Ponting and Katich are being rested this game but will mostly likely come in for the first test. Young Marcus North is playing his first game for Australia and will look to leave a good impression, and Michael Clarke will lead the team on the field. Stuart MacGill has made is way into the side after years of being kept out by a superior bowler, who has since retired. A win would be a bonus, I am just expecting a good performance from the boys.

carn tigez added 15 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

Lunch Day 1
Guyana have struggled to 4/122 at the end of the first session on day 1. Mitchell Johnson struck in the second over removing Karjune with the score on 1. Sarwan and Deonarine then came together for a 42 run stand before Johnson trapped Sarwan in front, with Guyana on the back foot at 2/43. A stupid run out had Chattergoon removed for just 5 runs, and when MacGill had Mohamed caught at short leg for 24 Australia were right on top with the score at 4/101. Haniff has now moved to 16 and Deonarine has built a good innings and is unbeaten on 60. This partnership will need to be a big one to keep Guyana in this match.

Guyana 4/122
Deonarine 60*
Mohamed 24
Johnson 2/33
MacGill 1/24

Tea Day 1
Guyana are sitting on 7/261 at the tea break on day 1 of the friendly against Australia. A 94 run stand between Haniff and Deonarine helped them to recover to a defendable score. It was debutant Marcus North who broke the stand, taking the important wicket of Deonarine in just his third over for 87, with the score on 195. Mitchell Johnson then removed Haniff the next over for 61 with the just six runs added for the wicket. Brett Lee then dismissed Christian for a handy 23 and the score at 7/238, with the Aussies on top. Griffith is unbeaten on 27 and Crandon is on 14. Guyana will be looking to push for 350 while Australia will look to hold them below 300.

Guyana 7/261
Deonarine 87
Haniff 61
Johnson 3/67
North 1/28

Stumps Day 1
A terrific innings by Griffith (65*) has helped Guyana to a first innings total of 324. Crandon was forced to retire hurt in a major blow for them, as their bowling stocks are reduced heavily. Brett Lee took the last 2 wickets, both LBW to clean up the tail and prevent a larger total being set. Australia had to face 4 overs at the end and cruised to 0/14, with Jaques on 14 and Hayden yet to score.

Guyana 324
Deonarine 87
Griffith 65*
Johnson 3/82
Lee 3/97

Australia 0/14
Jaques 14*

Last edited:
Great start mate. Lovely writing, maybe a few pictures would go pretty nicely with this story. Just a suggestion:D

Great start mate. Lovely writing, maybe a few pictures would go pretty nicely with this story. Just a suggestion:D

Yeah thanks. I have taken a few screens and they look shithouse, I might post a couple but I'm not sure. I will definitely use pictures for the international matches though, but couldn't be bothered for the friendly.

Yeah thanks. I have taken a few screens and they look shithouse, I might post a couple but I'm not sure. I will definitely use pictures for the international matches though, but couldn't be bothered for the friendly.

Fair enough mate, the only problem playing on ICC is the only screenies u can take is off the scoreboard. Not much playing action. So maybe some real life photos will make us believe it more...

Fair enough mate, the only problem playing on ICC is the only screenies u can take is off the scoreboard. Not much playing action. So maybe some real life photos will make us believe it more...

Yeah that's what I meant, I cbf finding pics of these no name Guyana players which is why I'm not posting pics of this game.

carn tigez added 52 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Lunch Day 2​
Australia have cruised to 0/116 at lunch on the second day of this friendly against Guyana. A fine batting display by openers Phil Jaques and Matthew Hayden has taken Australia to an ideal position. Jaques is on 63 and Hayden 47. Guyana will need to get an early breakthrough in the next session and follow that up with a few quick wickets, but this game is very quickly slipping away from them.

Australia 0/116
Jaques 63*
Hayden 47*

Tea Day 2​
A terrific innings by Phil Jaques has carried Australia to 2/243 off 79 overs with a day and a session remaining in the match. Jaques has scored 132 from 256 balls in a fine show of batting. Guyana had a mini fightback just after lunch when Griffith removed Hayden for 48, and when King dismissed Clarke for 4 Australia were 2/129. A dropped catch in slip gave Mike Hussey a life before he had scored, and he has made them pay adding 47 runs off 105 balls to be unbeaten at tea. Australia will want to pass Guyana's score tonight with at least a 50 run lead to be any chance of winning, unless Shane Warne decides to just go for batting practice.

Australia 2/243
Jaques 132*
Hayden 48
King 1/48
Griffith 1/63

carn tigez added 6 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Stumps Day 2
Australia have built a handy 34 run lead at the end of the second day as they reached 4/358 at stumps. Phil Jaques was eventually dismissed by Griffith, popping a defensive shot up to short leg. North was next to go for 4 after being deceived in the flight and being bowled by Permaul. Mike Hussey has batted terrificly for his 107 from 209 balls, and he is joined by Symonds who has reached 19 at stumps. Australia will either go for quick runs early on day 3 and declare, or bat out the innings to get some good batting time into the side.

Australia 4/358
Jaques 160
Hussey 107*
Girffith 2/83
King 1/77

carn tigez added 6 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Lunch Day 3​
Australia came out hitting once Hussey was dismissed for 108 and ended up with 9/467 declared. Symonds scored 46 from 72 and Haddin made 29 from 33 in an attempt to get some quick runs. 17 to Johnson and 21 to Lee got Australia to their final total. Griffith bowled well and finished with 4/121 from 34 overs, as did Permaul who took 3/126 from 36 overs. Guyana had to face 5 overs at the end and got through unscathed.

Australia 9/467 dec
Jaques 160
Hussey 108
Griffith 4/121
Permaul 3/126

Guyana 0/15
Arjune 7*
Sarwan 7*

carn tigez added 5 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Tea Day 3​
Guyana have once again struggled, this time limping to 4/126 at tea. Australia were struggling when they were 1/111, but then Symonds came on and took the key wickets of Deonarine and Chattergoon in the same over, with Guyana falling to 3/112. Sarwan was run out in the next over resulting in a collapse of 3/1, and Australia were right on top with the score at 4/112. Sarwan batted well for 61, but no other batsman has got past 30. A draw is the only possible result here barring a miracle, but it is clear Australia have played far better than their opposition.

Guyana 4/126
Sarwan 61
Deonarine 29
Symonds 2/21
Clark 1/18

Nice to see you picked Marcus North, he is a regular wicket taker with his offspin and would be a better option as a 6th bowler than David Hussey if Symonds needs to be replaced. His batting is probably not as good as Hussey, but he is definately a better bowler.

I am confused as to why John Buchanan would have been smuggling marijuana into the country, isn't there enough of that stuff here already? Maybe he was planning to take it to the West Indies where there may be a shortage due to the incredible demand for the stuff there.

I'm tipping Darren Ganja and Floyd Reifer to have big series for the West Indies.

Last edited:
Nice to see you picked Marcus North, he is a regular wicket taker with his offspin and would be a better option as a 6th bowler than David Hussey if Symonds needs to be replaced. His batting is probably not as good as Hussey, but he is definately a better bowler.

I am confused as to why John Buchanan would have been smuggling marijuana into the country, isn't there enough of that stuff here already? Maybe he was planning to take it to the West Indies where there may be a shortage due to the incredible demand for the stuff there.

I'm tipping Darren Ganja and Floyd Reifer to have big series for the West Indies.

Yeah he's a gun bowler, I haven't really used him in ICC before.

Warney might have framed him ;):D

Stumps Day 3 - Match Drawn
Guyana played a good last session and ended with the score at 5/205, with North picking up the only other wicket of Mohamed for 15. Haniff ended on 52 and Griffith on 23 at the close of play.

Guyana 5/205
Sarwan 61
Haniff 52*
Symonds 2/27
North 1/31

Man of the Match: Phil Jaques

Shane Warne on match: I am really happy with that effort, a good bowling performance on a flat track and a very good showing with the bat. Hussey and Jaques are obviously in fine form, Katich may come in and Ponting will. The bowlers all bowled well and did a job, now hopefully we can play even better against the West Indies. I personally have other committments on day one and will be unable to make it, but I assure you that I will be watching from my hotel roo-... I mean, my business meeting.

carn tigez added 11 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

22 May 2008 - 1st Test Match
West Indies v Australia

30 May 2008 - 2nd Test Match
West Indies v Australia

12 Jun 2008 - 3rd Test Match
West Indies v Australia

20 Jun 2008 - International T20
West Indies v Australia

21 Jun 2008 - One Day Friendly
Barbados v Australia

24 Jun 2008 - 1st One Day International
West Indies v Australia

27 Jun 2008 - 2nd One Day International
West Indies v Australia

29 Jun 2008 - 3rd One Day International
West Indies v Australia

4 Jul 2008 - 4th One Day International
West Indies v Australia

6 Jul 2008 - 5th One Day International
West Indies v Australia

15 Aug 2008 - 1st Test Match
Australia v Bangladesh

22 Aug 2008 - 2nd Test Match
Australia v Bangladesh

31 Aug 2008 - 1st One Day International
Australia v Bangladesh

3 Sep 2008 - 2nd One Day International
Australia v Bangladesh

6 Sep 2008 - 3rd One Day International
Australia v Bangladesh

6 Oct 2008 - 1st Test Match
India v Australia

13 Oct 2008 - 2nd Test Match
India v Australia

19 Oct 2008 - 1st One Day International
India v Australia

21 Oct 2008 - 2nd One Day International
India v Australia

23 Oct 2008 - 3rd One Day International
India v Australia

18 Nov 2008 - 1st Test Match
Australia v New Zealand

26 Nov 2008 - 2nd Test Match
Australia v New Zealand

4 Dec 2008 - 3rd Test Match
Australia v New Zealand

18 Dec 2008 - 1st Test Match
Australia v South Africa

26 Dec 2008 - 2nd Test Match
Australia v South Africa

2 Jan 2009 - 3rd Test Match
Australia v South Africa

10 Jan 2009 - International T20
Australia v South Africa

12 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v South Africa

14 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v New Zealand

17 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v South Africa

18 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v New Zealand

20 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v South Africa

24 Jan 2009 - ODI Tournament (AUS, RSA, NZ)
Australia v New Zealand

17 Feb 2009 - Three Day Friendly
Lions v Australia

22 Feb 2009 - 1st Test Match
South Africa v Australia

1 Mar 2009 - 2nd Test Match
South Africa v Australia

8 Mar 2009 - 3rd Test Match
South Africa v Australia

15 Mar 2009 - One Day Friendly
Eagles v Australia

17 Mar 2009 - 1st One Day International
South Africa v Australia

19 Mar 2009 - 2nd One Day International
South Africa v Australia

21 Mar 2009 - 3rd One Day International
South Africa v Australia

23 Mar 2009 - 4th One Day International
South Africa v Australia

25 Mar 2009 - 5th One Day International
South Africa v Australia

That is our season fixture.

carn tigez added 13 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Australia v West Indies: 1st Test

Pitch: Some Help for Bowlers, Very Poor for Spin

Team
Phil Jaques
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting (c)
Mike Hussey (vc)
Simon Katich
Andrew Symonds
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Stuart Clark
Shaun Tait

In: Ponting, Katich, Tait
Out: Clarke, North, MacGill

Warne on Team: We have made 3 changes to the team that took on Guyana in the friendly. Ponting comes in for North, which was always going to happen. Simon Katich has been performing lately and deserves a spot more than Michael Clarke, which is why he was dropped. Shaun Tait came in for MacGill due to the condition of the pitch, and after Symonds' bowling performance in the friendly I believe that he and Katich should be enough for spin. We expect nothing less than a win on a pitch that has something in it for the bowlers.

West Indies Team
C.Gayle
D.Smith
S.Chanderpaul
R.Sarwan
M.Samuels
D.Bravo
D.Ramdin
D.Sammy
I.Bradshaw
J.Taylor
C.Collymore

carn tigez added 23 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Aussie Bowlers Dominate
Australia have got off to a great start in the first test against the West Indies. Mitchell Johnson got the key dismissal of Chris Gayle for just 9 runs with the score on 17. Smith (46) and Chanderpaul (48) then came together for a 79 run stand until Tait struck, clean bowling Smith with a thunderbolt. Chanderpaul was trapped in front not long after by Johnson, making the score 3/120 and the game delicately poised. Samuels fell to Tait for just 6 runs, and when Sarwan was removed by Johnson the score was 5/149. Ramdin fell LBW to Lee without scoring, and Johnson then picked up the wicket of Sammy for just 5 runs, leaving the West Indies reeling at 7/180. Bradshaw batted well and hung around with Bravo as the pair put on a much needed 56 run stand for the 8th wicket. When Bradshaw was dismissed for 39 by Tait it brought Taylor to the crease, who did a job and stayed in while Bravo scored. These 2 put on a 40 run stand before Bravo was out caught behind to Johnson for a well made 76. Collymore was also caught behind for a second ball duck to Johnson, leaving Taylor stranded on 6* and the innings closed at 276.

bravo.jpg

Dwayne Bravo celebrates his 50

Mitchell Johnson was superb for the Aussies with 6/75 off 21 overs. He was well supported by Shaun Tait who managed to take 3/81 off 22. The other wicket taker was Brett Lee, who didn't bowl well.

Johnson5fa.jpg

Johnson celebrates the wicket of Chanderpaul

Australia came out and had to face 17 overs. They were going well until Jaques (16) was clean bowled by a brilliant delivery from Bradshaw with 3 overs left, which brought nightwatchman Stuart Clark to the crease. Clark (1*) survived the remaining overs leaving Australia at 1/38 overnight, with Hayden unbeaten on 20.

Last edited:
Windies Fight Back, Australia Respond
Australia have cruised past the total set by the West Indies at stumps on day 2. The Aussie batsmen took the score to 5/332 off 109 overs, holding a lead of 56 runs. Stuart Clark was bowled by Sammy early on day 2 for 2 runs, leaving Australia at 2/44. Ponting then joined Hayden at the crease and the pair put on a 3rd wicket stand of 40 before Sammy sent Hayden back to the pavilion for 31. Ponting was out for 44 not long after, edging a ball to the keeper off the bowling of Taylor. This left the West Indies right on top with Australia reeling at 4/100. Enter Hussey and Katich. A 149 run stand between these 2 batsmen set up a fine total for the Australians before Sammy got Hussey (80) with a short ball which was edged through to Ramdin. Katich is unbeaten on a fine knock of 107 overnight, and Symonds is on 40. The partnership is currenty standing at 83, and the score overnight is 5/332.

Katich.jpg

Simon Katich on his way to a fine century

Sammy has been the other dangerous bowler removing 2 dangerous batsmen and returning figures of 32-4-87-3. Bradshaw and Taylor both have a wicket apiece.

West Indies 274
Bravo 76
Chanderpaul 48
Johnson 6/75
Tait 3/81

Australia 5/332
Katich 107*
Hussey 80
Sammy 3/87
Bradshaw 1/39

Last edited:
The draw was definitely a stalement, and although you wanted to win, it wasn't that big a game. Just thought I'd say that your fixture list is jampacked! Might take a while for you to get to the end of the year. :p

Australia are going strong at the moment after some brilliant bowling from Johnson kept the Windies score under 300. Australia should make 400+ easily and if Katich can continue this brilliant personal innings then you could make around 500. Australia in complete control.

Great presentation and writing, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread