Australian Domestic Cricket

Rogers had a virus, spent the night on a drip in hospital on Friday, stayed home on Saturday then came back, that's why he batted so low.

Good ton by Phil, but he does seem to be changed for the worse. If it wasnt for Johnson being hopeless in those first few Ashes tests Phil might still be opening for Aus.

Haven't seen too much short stuff or Hughes pulling so no idea if his new technique is handling that although I have been dual watching. Quite a few of Hughes shot has been streaky even after he made 50. Quite a few are just beating the man at point, could put that down to good placement, a bit hard to say with the stream quality.

Edit: He just missed another one outside off stump, certainly not his usual self.

Its crazy, like Bevan when he got into all sorts of trouble against the short ball. He came back to shield cricket but there just wasnt the fast bowlers around who could consistently trouble him with short stuff, just like now with Hughes. So Bevan just kept smacking medium pace guys all over the place, and his runs gave no indication that he'd changed his technique and could cope better with the short stuff. Phil is now finding other ways to get out. We'll only know if he can do better when he plays another test series.

Unlike Bevan, Hughes doesn't quite have the luxury of being a gun in the ODI format so the selectors would have to sacrifice performance to test him out. Else they need to give him a proper run in Test cricket and probably get the coaches to work with him between series to iron out any problems. It's a shame the two quickest bowlers in the comp (Nannes and Tait) haven't played against NSW.

And what do you know, Hughes ends up getting out to his cut shot off the bowling of McDonald. Pretty soft in the end and missed a big chance of making 200.

Once Bevan got found out against the short ball there was a period where he was still playing odi's- obviously- and bowlers did attempt to bounce him out, but they just werent allowed to sustain the attack due to the odi laws, eventually they gave up, but it cropped up every now and then, especially against SA in 96/97 and 97/98.

Good point forgot about that 1 short ball per over. So really the Test arena is the only place to test Hughes. Never really saw Bevan in Test, looking at his figures he did alright against WI then got 2 poor Test series before being dropped. I reckon he might have made it in another country with more opportunities, the period he got dropped was when our depth was at an all time high.

It wasnt just his failures after the two WI innings, in SA and England he looked awful, Malcolm and Gough made him look worse than Hughes in England, it was embarrassing stuff to be fending balls to gully every innings off balls that werent that dangerous.

Aah, good stuff from Hughes. Once again, he performs at exactly the right time!

WTF Hughes got a 100?

I thought watching the live streaming, he was out on 70s or 80s or something.

I am confused...

Sure you had the right stream ;) Hughes got well past 100, he ended up with 149.

I am sure when I last looked at the scoreboard today, he was on like 36 (SR of 60). And you guys were posting on how he is edging everything and all. Time sure does fly.

TumTum added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Anywayz it is great to see him finally performing :)

Next in line, M.Marsh and J.Hazlewood. They really need to lift themselves.

Ah yes Steven Smith makes his 2nd FC 100, very good knock and he brought it up with a 6 down the ground. Thornely couldn't backup, went so quickly that I didn't even see him get out. O'Keefe is hanging around nicely though.

McDonald is also making a last ditch effort for a tour spot, 3 wickets to go with a 100.

Users who are viewing this thread